Dimebucker vs.....

mchn13

I got a dean stealth the other day, and set it up and it plays like a million bucks. Practiced thru my rig last night, and was able to dial it in pretty good, but not near as tight clear as my nazgul on this rig.
I’m pretty sure I’m gonna bond with this guitar as it just feels good and has a real presence about it.
If I do, not so sure about the dimebucker. It seems scooped, and the bass and treble are a little out of control. I could dial in a very useable tone last night, but would rather stay close to my baseline, so my other guitar is right when I have to change to it.
Go with another nazgul, or any suggestions? Was thinking Duncan custom, but haven’t used one for metal in a long time.... or say screw it and deal with the eq?.

I'm in the same boat right now, I have a dimebucker that came with a B.C Rich I bought a couple months back, I've been trying to bond with it also. I feel like when I do leads I love the damn thing, but it just doesn't have what I want when it comes to the chugz!

Personally, I think the dimebucker has a nice country twang to it.

Funny enough.. I've been looking to replace it with a Nazgul as I like the clips of them.

Had the dimebucker as well.
Same thing. I switched over to the Dimarzio X2N
And it was EXACTLY what I wanted.
I have that pick up in 5 of guitars.
Check it. :rock:

Mailman1971":1tpmj6ag said:
Had the dimebucker as well.
Same thing. I switched over to the Dimarzio X2N
And it was EXACTLY what I wanted.
I have that pick up in 5 of guitars.
Check it. :rock:

The x2n kicks ass, my favorite pickup but unfortunately it doesn’t sound very good in my Bich

I HIGHLY recommend the Black Winter. Not sure that it comes in trem spacing tho.

XN2 would be a likely winner as well.

lowmantotempole":1s91jz2j said:
What amp are you using. Too many people forget the relationship between pickup and amp...

Evh 50. I pretty much know I like 13-14k ceramics, thinking about another nazgul, Black winter(hot), Duncan custom, Or even an sh6 neck in the bridge...maybe ceramic nailbomb?

D-Rock":1ssujt7l said:
I HIGHLY recommend the Black Winter. Not sure that it comes in trem spacing tho.

XN2 would be a likely winner as well.

I do really like the BW, but oddly enough, not with a high gain head like the Evh. I like the bw better through a marshall. I also used the x2n years ago, when I was playing Randall’s and vs100’s primarily.
But, too hot for me nowadays. This dimebucker, now that I’ve played it a couple more hours reminds me of an emg with more low end. Not my bag.

RockyStar":1ahezvbe said:
I would throw a BKP Ragnarok or Aftermath into it.

The eq of th aftermath, on paper, looks about right. I’ve got a bud with one in his guitar. I’m gonna see if I can try his.

L500XL. Less output than the dimebucker (13k vs 16k) and the eq is more well balanced. I used the x2n for a while for metal but in the end it was just too hot. Switched back to the Lawrence.

I was going to say Nazgul & Black Winters..I finally purchased a new Nazgul 2 months ago and love it in my Schecter Black Jack and the Black Winters in an ESP LTD EC 401..I also have 3 guitars with dimebuckers in them and they go great through my 5150-3 50 watt head..but we are all different..I have wanted to try a BKP Nail Bomb bridge in the ceramic version. I just saw you have the Nail Bomb on your list and will keep an eye out here to see what you come up with.

riffermadness":2dh9tpsl said:
I was going to say Nazgul & Black Winters..I finally purchased a new Nazgul 2 months ago and love it in my Schecter Black Jack and the Black Winters in an ESP LTD EC 401..I also have 3 guitars with dimebuckers in them and they go great through my 5150-3 50 watt head..but we are all different..I have wanted to try a BKP Nail Bomb bridge in the ceramic version. I just saw you have the Nail Bomb on your list and will keep an eye out here to see what you come up with.

I might just get another nazgul and make it easy on myself lol. I’m really curious about the sh6 neck, but in the bridge tho.

Went another route, and I’m gonna try one of the bare knuckle brute force pups in the bridge. I purchased another nazgul(I love that pup), but it got refunded as the seller had already sold it in a local shop....
Curiosity got the best of me so I decided to try the brute force. If I don’t like it just as much, I may put it in my charvel and just get another nazgul. Or pass it around here to test lol.

Curious how the Brute Force works for ya.
I was going to recommend the Evolution, has the similar mid and upper mid grind what is seems like the Nazgul would have.

I would not recommend the Aftermath or Nailbomb, I’ve tried each in several guitars and never liked them at all. I wanted to like them, but just never could. The Aftermath was always just too weak and thin sounding to me, should be designated as medium output in my opinion. The Nailbomb just sounded like rounded corners to me, there was never enough edge, it just sounds soft without that kick to me.

stratjacket":18z7u2n1 said:
Curious how the Brute Force works for ya.
I was going to recommend the Evolution, has the similar mid and upper mid grind what is seems like the Nazgul would have.

I would not recommend the Aftermath or Nailbomb, I’ve tried each in several guitars and never liked them at all. I wanted to like them, but just never could. The Aftermath was always just too weak and thin sounding to me, should be designated as medium output in my opinion. The Nailbomb just sounded like rounded corners to me, there was never enough edge, it just sounds soft without that kick to me.

I should have it in by tomorrow night to test it. You’re right about the evo, it looks like the same eq curve actually. Might see if I can snag one cheap to try as well.

mchn13":2mwzfzyv said:
lowmantotempole":2mwzfzyv said:
What amp are you using. Too many people forget the relationship between pickup and amp...

Evh 50. I pretty much know I like 13-14k ceramics, thinking about another nazgul, Black winter(hot), Duncan custom, Or even an sh6 neck in the bridge...maybe ceramic nailbomb?
Have you tried the regular Duncan Distortion (bridge)?
Lower the mids on the EVH, crank bass and resonance, keep the Presence in check and you should be in very tight-chuggin' metal's realm with the SH-6.

Personally after a while of using the SH6, I missed the dynamics and almost 'sag or juicyness' of an Alnico equipped bucker, so I fare better with Duncan's Custom 5 (SH-14) and Custom/59 Hybrid (SH-16).
The SH-14 has a nice, big, but somewhat stiff low-end. Not too loose like a JB. Medium/high output.

Back