4x12 speaker cabs... The WORST gear investment ever. *RANT*

• Thread starter Deleted member 10619
  • Start date
SpiderWars":1oroo5wx said:
The WORST gear investment ever...but the BEST gear indulgence evar! :rock:

Depends on how you look at it... If you're gigging and getting paid, the gigs bought the cabs and they ended up paying for themselves, plus you could take the tax deduction and write off the depreciation, and assuming you keep doing paying gigs-- the cabs make you $, and past a certain point you are out of pocket $0.00.

I'd rather wheel my 4x12 cab across a parking lot than hand carry my Boogie combo, plus the cab acts as a dolly. It is a wonderful indulgence.

My $.02

I only play at home. In my garage band. Nothing..... NOTHING sounds like two 4x12 cabs when kicking hard core with your band! :rock:
Would never ever EVER trade down to a combo. :LOL: :LOL:
It’s all situational I guess.

Zachman":vcwkrp3e said:
SpiderWars":vcwkrp3e said:
The WORST gear investment ever...but the BEST gear indulgence evar! :rock:

Depends on how you look at it... If you're gigging and getting paid, the gigs bought the cabs and they ended up paying for themselves, plus you could take the tax deduction and write off the depreciation, and assuming you keep doing paying gigs-- the cabs make you $, and past a certain point you are out of pocket $0.00.

I'd rather wheel my 4x12 cab across a parking lot than hand carry my Boogie combo, plus the cab acts as a dolly. It is a wonderful indulgence.

My $.02
I agree, just having fun after a beer or three. Esp the part about Boogie combos. Widowmakers they are.

However, gigs at a long pier...with bumpy wooden planks all the way out to the end...lol doesn't matter what it is that kinda sucks.

you should never buy ANY gear new :D

4x12's seem to loose 40% of their value as soon as you wheel them out of the store, new.
Stuff you bought used, assuming you took care of it while you had it, worst case scenario these days, you'll sell it and get 75% of your money back when its all said in done. that is if you have something semi-desirable, and not some pawnshop junk.

I totally appreciate your point though, after years in the internet gear flipping biz. Also, packaging and shipping a 4x12 is an ambitious project, even for the experienced gear whore, if you don't have the factory box.

Mailman1971":2k2bsw0e said:
I only play at home. In my garage band. Nothing..... NOTHING sounds like two 4x12 cabs when kicking hard core with your band! :rock:
Would never ever EVER trade down to a combo. :LOL: :LOL:
It’s all situational I guess.

This is the answer. I think it just boils down to Science. I have a 2x12 cab that sounds amazing, also have a 5150 combo but there is nothing like moving those 4 12's.

Just had to talk myself down from a 3rd used 4x12 purchase. Mainly because it wasn’t a good enough deal. But I have always wanted a straight, traditional sized Mesa cab with a tan or pale grill cloth to match with one of my Mesa Heads. I do have an Avatar 2x12 but it was bought specifically for that open back sound with Alnico speakers. I like 4x12’s for load in and moving house. Like mentioned before, good dolly’s.

Different strokes for different folks. I almost can’t buy heads that don’t have at least 4 power tubes too. Lol

I want bass rig at home and even though a combo or head and small cab would get it done, odds are I’ll at least end with an 8x10.

I love the sound of a good 4x12! Nothing like it! I just don’t like carting it around when I gig, so I don’t own one anymore, sadly.

This thread is still alive!?

Thanks for all your input and perspectives!!!

Octavio Molina Shaw":1l02xs8g said:

LOL! Yeah... I was surprised that it got this far, too. It would seem that those of us who love 4x12s, which seems to be a pretty high percentage, would rather have them pried from our cold, dead fingers. I also think that most of us can commiserate with you, too. 4x12a are heavy, big, and don't hold their value well. They just seem to be addicting. ;)

I guess I bought right years ago. I sold off four old Marshall cabs (69-72) six years ago, took the money and bought a 99 Corvette, then sunk $10k into fixing every single thing I could on it and doing upgrades.

Now my wife drives it. LOL What's wrong with this picture?

C-8.jpg

This is a great thread. I've been looking to buy my first 4x12. Have a few nice amps, but I was always worried that the 4x12" might be louder than the 1x12" Mesa Boogie Thiele and Hesu Wizard I have been using. Stuff like "they play better at lower volumes" is really reassuring in that regard :D

I have a couple of options locally that I'm interested in acquiring:
1) Framus Cobra ST loaded with greenbacks
2) VHT loaded with V30s
3) Mesa Boogie Recto Straight loaded with V30s
4) Mesa Boogie Recto Oversized loaded with V30s
5) Emperor loaded with Wizards and Governors

I have zero experience with these things other than playing through others. Anyone have an opinion on which of these would be a good option? If I can haggle a bit, I may even be interested in picking up two, just for different flavours.

If it helps, I have a pretty wide range of heads - a VH4, Sig:X, Mark V:25, Archon and a Kraken. Thinking of adding a Soldano to the mix if I can snag one.

Octavio Molina Shaw":64wok9pj said:

passionate subject for just about any guitar players I think.

I still remember the very first time I heard a 412, in a shitty little shanty on the edge of town where my buddy's band rehearsed back in high school. Classic JCM 800 and matching 412, I was hooked.

I can almost smell the weed and spilled beer in the air when I think about it :rock:

nightlight":1yhqdpqd said:
This is a great thread. I've been looking to buy my first 4x12. Have a few nice amps, but I was always worried that the 4x12" might be louder than the 1x12" Mesa Boogie Thiele and Hesu Wizard I have been using. Stuff like "they play better at lower volumes" is really reassuring in that regard :D

2) VHT loaded with V30s

I have zero experience with these things other than playing through others. Anyone have an opinion on which of these would be a good option? If I can haggle a bit, I may even be interested in picking up two, just for different flavours.

If it helps, I have a pretty wide range of heads - a VH4, Sig:X, Mark V:25, Archon and a Kraken. Thinking of adding a Soldano to the mix if I can snag one.

If this were me I would get the Emperor. They are harder to get and are killer.

If you can try them all at Guitar Center. Everyone's experience is going to vary. Different amps, guitars and room will all make things different.

From MY experience, the VHT is WAY too tight. I owned a 412 D cab and while it was very nice. I had a $100 Peavey MS412 that sounded much better.

Regarding the OS Mesa. I found that is sounded horrible with most amps and the "boomy" talk is real however with the JP2C is was a perfect match and I loved it.

maddnotez":smtjv049 said:
nightlight":smtjv049 said:
From MY experience, the VHT is WAY too tight. I owned a 412 D cab and while it was very nice. I had a $100 Peavey MS412 that sounded much better.

If the D cab was too tight, you'd had the Fat Bottom even more. The tightness is probably more due to the fact that they are front-loaded cabs. Also, I hated the p50e speakers in the old cabs. They do sound a lot better with v30s. The Fanes they use now sound incredible - and works well with all of my amps.

nightlight":pws0zjxb said:

2) VHT loaded with V30s

I'm a V30 fan, so that narrows it down to the two Mesa's and the VHT. I own the Straight standard and it sounds great with multiple amps. It was a ton, so moving it in and out of my basement is a bitch, but remains tight in the low end.

mhenson42":38ua335l said:
maddnotez":38ua335l said:
nightlight":38ua335l said:

If the D cab was too tight, you'd had the Fat Bottom even more. The tightness is probably more due to the fact that they are front-loaded cabs. Also, I hated the p50e speakers in the old cabs. They do sound a lot better with v30s. The Fanes they use now sound incredible - and works well with all of my amps.
Would like to try the Fane.

I will say at first I hated the P50e but I hooked them up before I sold the cab and learned to appreciate them.

FWIW I had the same V30 x 75 combo in the VHT and the peavey and the Peavey just sounded way better to my ears. This was with the 100CL as well.

maddnotez":3lvr7o7m said:
nightlight":3lvr7o7m said:

2) VHT loaded with V30s

If this were me I would get the Emperor. They are harder to get and are killer.

If you can try them all at Guitar Center. Everyone's experience is going to vary. Different amps, guitars and room will all make things different.

Regarding the OS Mesa. I found that is sounded horrible with most amps and the "boomy" talk is real however with the JP2C is was a perfect match and I loved it.

Thanks for the recommendation, I was thinking about the Emperor as well I read that they used to have a whole lot of heavy players using them, but when I went to their website, I think the only A-list name they have on it now is Weezer!

Probably something to do with the whole Marshall post controversy. They virtually got lynched online.

shredhead7":2a3fo2n6 said:
nightlight":2a3fo2n6 said:

2) VHT loaded with V30s

I'm a V30 fan, so that narrows it down to the two Mesa's and the VHT. I own the Straight standard and it sounds great with multiple amps. It was a ton, so moving it in and out of my basement is a bitch, but remains tight in the low end.

I made a mistake. The oversized cab is loaded with Black Shadows. But the guy wants an arm and a leg for it. The VHT is the cheapest of the bunch at around 500 bucks.

Isn't tight a desirable characteristic with an amp? Or am I getting confused over what that is supposed to sound like. What comes to my mind is really snappy sounds. Or did you mean choked?

Back