4x12 speaker cabs... The WORST gear investment ever. *RANT*

• Thread starter Deleted member 10619
  • Start date
I have two nice 4x12s for sale and will drive a few hours from Phoenix to meet anyone who wants one.

nightlight":3o0el4pv said:
shredhead7":3o0el4pv said:
nightlight":3o0el4pv said:
This is a great thread. I've been looking to buy my first 4x12. Have a few nice amps, but I was always worried that the 4x12" might be louder than the 1x12" Mesa Boogie Thiele and Hesu Wizard I have been using. Stuff like "they play better at lower volumes" is really reassuring in that regard :D

I have a couple of options locally that I'm interested in acquiring:
1) Framus Cobra ST loaded with greenbacks
2) VHT loaded with V30s
3) Mesa Boogie Recto Straight loaded with V30s
4) Mesa Boogie Recto Oversized loaded with V30s
5) Emperor loaded with Wizards and Governors

I have zero experience with these things other than playing through others. Anyone have an opinion on which of these would be a good option? If I can haggle a bit, I may even be interested in picking up two, just for different flavours.

If it helps, I have a pretty wide range of heads - a VH4, Sig:X, Mark V:25, Archon and a Kraken. Thinking of adding a Soldano to the mix if I can snag one.

I'm a V30 fan, so that narrows it down to the two Mesa's and the VHT. I own the Straight standard and it sounds great with multiple amps. It was a ton, so moving it in and out of my basement is a bitch, but remains tight in the low end.

I made a mistake. The oversized cab is loaded with Black Shadows. But the guy wants an arm and a leg for it. The VHT is the cheapest of the bunch at around 500 bucks.

Isn't tight a desirable characteristic with an amp? Or am I getting confused over what that is supposed to sound like. What comes to my mind is really snappy sounds. Or did you mean choked?
It is desirable, which is why I would recommend the regular sized mesa cab. Well built, great sound.

shredhead7":ydfs0kxe said:
It is desirable, which is why I would recommend the regular sized mesa cab. Well built, great sound.

I was basing the "tight" question on the basis of the previous post by maddnotez.

maddnotez":ydfs0kxe said:
From MY experience, the VHT is WAY too tight. I owned a 412 D cab and while it was very nice. I had a $100 Peavey MS412 that sounded much better.

Back