Explorer, Flying V, RR, etc. strap - front or back?

Strap on front or back of exp. type guitar.

• Strap on front

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Strap on back

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

Markedman

I have a Jackson RR that I used for about 10 years and always fought the guitar from leaning forward because of the way it balanced with the strap in back. I pulled the RR out of retirement after 20 years, (1988 model) and started playing it with the strap draped across the front so I would have to constantly hold the guitar from falling over. Big, big difference.
I watched an old video of Lynyrd Skynyrd today and Allen Collins had his strap across the front also. As seen here. Allen is way cool, sitting back until the second half (6:22) where he takes over owning it and completely shreds southern style. Goosebumps for those who remember, extra special back of the neck hair-raising for those of us who got to him in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIWDmmqZzY

First, nothing like a good dose of Skynyrd on a Sunday night!! God bless those 70's hotties, too!! Too young to remember much of those days, but that right there is at least 50% of the reason I've always loved Explorers, LP Customs, and SGs. Wish I could've seen them in person... Anyway...

FWIW, I've always worn the strap on the back. I guess I've looked at it as just part of the experience. Sometimes, I like to fight the guitar a little bit and that's one of the things I love about Explorers. Got my first, an Ibanez Destroyer, about 30 years ago. I currently own 2 Explorers, a Flying V, and a Jackson Rhoads.

Having said that, it is much easier with the strap over the front. I don't think there's anything wrong with either way and I've seen about an equal number of both over the years.

That guitar is SWEET!! Who needs more than 1 pup and 1 knob, anyway. :) I've always loved 1-pup guitars, have a number of them, met a LOT of people who think that limits what the guitar can do... LOL!

LOVE the reverse headstock, too!! Damn nice!!

:rawk:

I love the way he has that strap going over the body of the guitar. Man that solo is amazing and always a mind blower!

Back