Amp shipping cost question

fek

I was hoping to not have to ship these but it might be time. Amps are Marshall DSL100HR and EVH 50 watt EL34 version. I have the original boxes but would of course double box.

What has been the best lowest cost shipping option as of late? It has been years since I have shipped anything over the size of a pedal.

Shipped an Uberschall to Bogner from Texas for around $140-150 and a multiwatt Dual Rectifier within the state for around 90 bucks. Both through UPS with them packing while I supervised. They went through a ton of bubble wrap before I let them box them up. Both were shipped around a year apart.

Just sent a marshall that mike(juggernaut)boxed up from Dallas to Phoenix thru UPS for $70. Had the same store box up a bass sized coffin case with a dean ml in it,and that cost almost $130. That one went from Dallas to Minneapolis.

Use the original boxes sign up for a FedEx account it should be under a hundred for a 45-65 pound amp insured in the lower 48 .

I just shipped a 100W head (58 pounds total) from GA to CA for $62 (edit: with a declared value of $1100). But that was the first time I opened a UPS account and bought the shipping label on ebay. Apparently it would have cost $79. It appears you can save a bit if you use the Reverb/ebay options to print the shipping label thru them. I just looked at the UPS invoice (cuz I just got it) so I'm sure of those numbers. Surprised me, I expected about double that.

Wizard of Ozz":1er4klnv said:
Do not let UPS/FedEx pack it. Do it yourself.
A potential issue with that is if the amp is damaged they will usually say you didn't pack it well enough and to pound sand, regardless of how much 'insurance' or 'protection' you paid for. And they won't refund that either. At least if they pack it they can't really do that.

But I do get your point, they don't pack it very well. "A big box and lots of peanuts...that outta do it."

Until recently, i used my USPS online account to ship exclusively. They were the cheapest. Now im using a fedex account and they seem to be the most reasonalbe, considering UPS and USPS. I can only recommend going to the websites shipping calculators and figure out the hard numbers with the box dimension and weights. No sense on trying to guess. Your only going to get “sticker shock” if you dont.

I shipped a EVH 5153 100W EL34 stealth from Bos to CA, $117 insured this past spring through fedex.

SpiderWars":2g20qype said:
Wizard of Ozz":2g20qype said:
Do not let UPS/FedEx pack it. Do it yourself.
A potential issue with that is if the amp is damaged they will usually say you didn't pack it well enough and to pound sand, regardless of how much 'insurance' or 'protection' you paid for. And they won't refund that either. At least if they pack it they can't really do that.

But I do get your point, they don't pack it very well. "A big box and lots of peanuts...that outta do it."
This..

This will be the ONLY way you will have any recourse should any damage occur...doesn't matter how well you pack, you won't get any refund unless they pack it for you. Same with Fedex.

With the past shipping of amps / guitars, I have always way over packed and have never had an issue. But in these times, it appears that I will use the original boxes and then let the FedEx store pack it into another box to protect myself.

And also have to eat the shipping. Got it. :doh:

fek":1kuvr892 said:
With the past shipping of amps / guitars, I have always way over packed and have never had an issue. But in these times, it appears that I will use the original boxes and then let the FedEx store pack it into another box to protect myself.

Prices have gone up a ton since I last sold stuff often on ebay, it was sticker shock when I shipped a 2203 out east from here in Wi...75 bucks. Last time I shipped before it was 45 bucks. I used to ship an occasional 4x12, and it was around 85-125. Don't even want to entertain that thought now.
:doh:

Also, may have been mentioned, but don’t use a retail store. Find a hub or shipping center close to you and bring it there. Saved me a lot after figuring out not to use the retail stores.

fek":1086cihp said:

This is what I am going to try and do the next time I ship an amp.

Pack and ship and insure this fucking box for me, understand?

:gethim:

Pack 'em tight is the motto. I'll never let the carrier do it unless the buyer is willing to pay for that. I have always done it and if you do it yourself imagine it going through a minefield cuz that's where it's headed.

eBay and Reverb both have decent shipping deals, if you sell through them. I had no problem collecting when FedEx trashed an EVH 5153 Stealth head I packed myself, though it was in the stock factory box and I had the declared value correct.

Reverb is sounding like a decent option. Will look into it. Thanks all who replied!

I recently shipped a Bogner Uberschall from San Antonio TX to Vancouver WA

33x15x16
55 pounds
1600 declared value

cost: $69.37

I shipped a KSR Gemini to Houston

32x17x18
60 pounds
2100 declared value

cost = $53.02

Cost will be a function of box size, weight, distance and declared value. Open an account to get better rates. I only use FedEx. I wouldn't trust them to pack anything, but agree that the claim process would be easier if they do. I know there will be very minimal chance of shipping damage if I pack it. Can't say the same if I let someone else do it.

mhenson42":2cr9bjwb said:
I recently shipped a Bogner Uberschall from San Antonio TX to Vancouver WA

33x15x16
55 pounds
1600 declared value

cost: $69.37

I shipped a KSR Gemini to Houston

32x17x18
60 pounds
2100 declared value

cost = $53.02

Cost will be a function of box size, weight, distance and declared value. Open an account to get better rates. I only use FedEx. I wouldn't trust them to pack anything, but agree that the claim process would be easier if they do. I know there will be very minimal chance of shipping damage if I pack it. Can't say the same if I let someone else do it.

That is what I was used to paying years ago, and more along the lines of what I can tolerate without being bent about the shipping price. I hope that is the way it goes for me! Assuming that I can't find a local buyer.

fek":2hfpw8p1 said:
That is what I was used to paying years ago, and more along the lines of what I can tolerate without being bent about the shipping price. I hope that is the way it goes for me! Assuming that I can't find a local buyer.

I forgot I had one more...

Mesa JP-2C shipped from San Antonio to Miami, FL

32x16x148
50 pounds
$1,800 declared value

FedEx Cost = $66.82

I guess when I used to ship it would run in the $50-$60 range. Now it's running in the $60-$70 range. Living where I do, I probably have the benefit of not having to ship more than half-way across the country on any given shipment.

When I bought the JP2c from madnotez, he shipped via USPS and I recall the the postage rate was over $90 shipped from St. Louis.

Back