Bogner Shiva 20th 6L6 vs other tubes

tripstan

Looking at getting a 20th Shiva. There's a used 6L6 version a few hours from me. What's your thoughts on the 6L6 version vs the KT88 or EL34. Love having a sparkly clean channel, I'm thinking the 6L6 would be better but how's the OD channel with 6L6's? Not much for demos online for the 6L6.

There is no such thing as a 6l6gc version of the 20th anniversary Shiva just the normal model. The 20th comes stock with kt88's but with a resistor snip you can run el34's. Both are great amps but the 20th has an additional gain stage and a mid cut switch that really make it great for harder rock and metal stuff. IMHO that's the one to get as it still has that amazing clean channel and can do lower gain stuff very well too.

I'll second that. 20th Shiva with KT88 = brutality (all the way to smoky jazz, if that's your thing). Did I mention it has the best clean channel other than my vintage Fenders, and it can keep up with them.

The regular Shiva comes with either EL34 or 6L6. I'd recommend sticking with the KT88s in the 20th Shiva, though. JMHO.

It wouldn't be a stretch to modify one to use 6L6s. The one above (on Reverb) looks like it was a special order (and probably with an output transformer optimized for 6L6s). Still, as the owner of a 20th Shiva with KT88s, I couldn't imagine the amp being any better than it is. AFAIK, it was designed around the KT88s, like the 20th XTC was designed around 6L6s, or the Twin Jet was with KT88s. I also have an Uber and it's had both KT88s and EL34s in it. I think it sounds better with EL34s, as was originally intended.

BTW, it's not that I'm against tube rolling and other optimizations. It's just that for the differences between 6L6s and KT88s, you'll see just as big a difference, if not more so, between different manufacturers' KT88s, or different manufacturers' 6L6s for that matter. It's just not that big of a difference, IMHO. You'll find bigger differences in changing 12AX7s and even bigger differences between different speakers. I also think that if an amp's just not quite what you're looking for, it's better to find another amp that is closer than it is trying to make something into something it's not.

ChurchHill":3874wi0q said:
You'll find bigger differences in changing 12AX7s and even bigger differences between different speakers. I also think that if an amp's just not quite what you're looking for, it's better to find another amp that is closer than it is trying to make something into something it's not.

^^^
x1000 :thumbsup:

I spent two years tube rolling on a PV Triple XXXII tying to turn it into an amp I'd like. Epic waste of time and money because I never did gel with it and wound up selling it anyway.

Lord Toneking":1pkmhlew said:
I have a 20th 2x12 combo that I'm letting go for a bargain price if you're in driving distance of 44260

Bah! I didn't need to see this. We have met before at Rayneman's ampfest and we also did a partial swap. I believe a Blackstar HT5 and a Peavey VTM.

I am trying to unload a DSL100HR and EVH 5150III, probably have seen the Craigslist ads, and if I can move them I could be onboard with trying out the Shiva.

fek":2x0linba said:
Lord Toneking":2x0linba said:
I have a 20th 2x12 combo that I'm letting go for a bargain price if you're in driving distance of 44260

Bah! I didn't need to see this. We have met before at Rayneman's ampfest and we also did a partial swap. I believe a Blackstar HT5 and a Peavey VTM.

I am trying to unload a DSL100HR and EVH 5150III, probably have seen the Craigslist ads, and if I can move them I could be onboard with trying out the Shiva.
Wassup bro!? Moving gear these days really sucks :thumbsdown:
Anytime you wanna check out this Shiva just let me know ;)

I bet that gold 20th Shiva does sound great in pushed clean mode...too bad no reverb. I dig the tank in the Shivas.

The regular Shiva (not the 20th ani) with 6L6 kicks ass. A buddy has the combo version...excellent amp. Sort of what lead me to getting an Ecstasy 101B way back (still have it)

Yeah, the regular Shiva is no slouch, either. I like both the 6L6 version and the EL34 version. The 20th Shiva is really a different amp. That's what led me to the Ecstasy, too, and technically the Uber. I still have all three, just great amps!!

Back