Zuul with Friedman bufferbay

mniel8195

I want to purchase a fortin Zuul and use the key input. Can I use the Friedman bufferbay to route the Zuul to work properly?

Splitting the signal with a Y-cable from the buffer out seems like the way to feed the key input, yeah. The rest of the Buffer bay is just "empty" connections straight through from the back to the front of it, no splits or buffering or such, which is perfect as an easy access point for getting the signal from the FX-loop to the Zuul and back.

mniel8195":2pnj3dc3 said:
I want to purchase a fortin Zuul and use the key input. Can I use the Friedman bufferbay to route the Zuul to work properly?
I have both and as mentioned you are gonna need a Y splitter or some type or an aby or something still. I ended up going the boss tuner/bypass route... I swear the cheap hosa $5 y splitter was adding a little noise.

A buffered low-impedance signal shouldn´t need anything fancier than a quality Y-cable or Y-adapter. 5 bucks maybe was too much on the cheap side, who knows, but you won´t need a splitter box like a Lehle or whatever. Soldering your own split cable with good wire and a good plug probably is the safest bet.

errrrrl":3u3e0hfh said:
mniel8195":3u3e0hfh said:
I have both and as mentioned you are gonna need a Y splitter or some type or an aby or something still. I ended up going the boss tuner/bypass route... I swear the cheap hosa $5 y splitter was adding a little noise.
Man I really want to check out the Zuul and Grind but $500 and no way to try first got me having reservations. I haven’t used actual pedals in a minute and have been trying to avoid them like the plague...

Not sure how the Friedman bufferbay works, but a buffer splitter works great. I use a little JHS splitter ($45 on Reverb) and send one route down my pedals and the other output to a Polytune and the output of the polytune hits the Zuul key input.

Cool setup, when I hit the tuner, the rig goes silent.

JerEvil":o3ezkf18 said:
errrrrl":o3ezkf18 said:
mniel8195":o3ezkf18 said:
Man I really want to check out the Zuul and Grind but $500 and no way to try first got me having reservations. I haven’t used actual pedals in a minute and have been trying to avoid them like the plague...
I bought the Zuul for tracking with my Savage. I normally just use my Kemper but on bigger recordings I tend to go the tube amp route. It's a stupid good noise gate, it makes amps dead silent and the response is incredible. I can't speak for the Grind, but IMO the Zuul is worth every penny.

thrashinbatman":jsjrjy92 said:
JerEvil":jsjrjy92 said:
errrrrl":jsjrjy92 said:
mniel8195":jsjrjy92 said:
I bought the Zuul for tracking with my Savage. I normally just use my Kemper but on bigger recordings I tend to go the tube amp route. It's a stupid good noise gate, it makes amps dead silent and the response is incredible. I can't speak for the Grind, but IMO the Zuul is worth every penny.
Nice! I do the bulk of my tracking with my amps so this is good to hear. Have you used it in 4CM with the key input?

Well, I guess it'd be the 4CM, but yeah, that's the only way to use it IMO. I run a tuner in front of my TS9 then take the bypass out to the key input, while the Zuul itself is in the loop. Works like a charm.

:LOL: :LOL: There is only ISP Decimator GRack!

Joking of course, I just know you Zuul guys are a dedicated bunch....Still have yet to try one with my personal amps....But I will....

So i got the Zuul. I have everything setup with the key input. I am having a hard time getting it to work great when i split coils on my suhr modern and roll down the volume on a high gain sound. Is this normal? I feel like it only works when you switch from high gain to clean but keep your volume on your guitar all the way up. I also can't figure out if the switch next to the key input is on or off. Not sure if it even does anythign when running in three cable mode. Anyone know which position does what?

Can you map how it's hooked up?
For example, mine is like this:
Guitar-> JHS splitter
- Output 1 -> Tuner -> Zuul key input
- Output 2 -> Pedals -> Amp input -> Amp Send -> Zuul -> Pedals -> Amp return

Guitar goes into Friedman bufferbay guitar in. Hosa y cable comes out of the buffer out of the Friedman bufferbay. Splits to my first pedal out front “wah”. The second cable of the y cable goes to the key Input. Not sure which position the switch is suppose to be in. Rolling the guitar volume down does not work very well. I though the zuul would track the volume difference better. I also have it place in my effects loop before my reverb and delay.

Back