Def Leppard talks about switching to the AFXIII

Phil was using Blackstar ID amps on G3 so I don't think he really spends too much time worrying about "tone." I agree with Chad completely. He has been quoted saying that he basically sounds the same through anything he plays.

Wayniac3":2u53ies6 said:
At the Progpower USA fest (19th one was last week), even back in the early days, we had guys using Line 6 and Behringers and once it's going through the PA and FOH EQ's it - 95% of the audience has no idea.

We've been seeing the Fractal and Kemper stuff for several years now... I LOVE those changeovers, and the FOH and monitor guys love it.
Out front, all you hear is great tones. Convinced me enough to pick a Kemper up when engineers such as Miro, Simone Mularoni, Pontus Norgren and Michael Spiess say they have a hard time hearing the difference. Once I played one and felt the response, I was hooked.

Still looking into an Axe FX at some point, but I'm not a tweaker anymore... so though they make great tones and have amazing effects, I'm not sure I'll ever have one unless I get one for a great score.

Modeling has come a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG way

Most of the bands that play Progpower are from Europe right? I wouldn't expect them to be dragging 4x12's and tube heads over for a 40 minute set. Stick with the Kemper if you don't want to tweak and the Kemper has always sounded better than Fractal anyway because getting a profile without having to tweak the snot out of it is easier and more accurate than sitting in front of your PC on Axe-Edit getting lost in the advanced parameters of the Axe.

Granted, it was brief, but once demoing a Kemper I didn’t find any of the presets making me think much of it. I don’t care for either that you’re tweaking a preset of one setting of an amp. So if it’s an amp that gets unusual but cool response changes from the Tone controls and volume settings you won’t get those from a preset unless each instance is profiled separately. Plus you’re not going to get the same effect of volume roll off etc as it’s not modeling anything about the amp circuit but just a snapshot of a single setting. If I was going digital I would go Axe, but at the age I’m at now, I’ll stick with amps until I’m done.

FWIW I saw a recent report that Vinyl is currently outselling all other forms of physical media for music.

For most bands, the "wall of cabs" doesn't happen anymore. I lost my hearing for days when I saw AC/DC in 88'. LOL!

Def Leppard, more than any other band, probably benefits from the Fractal rig. They have a very processed tone and a unit like that is a perfect match for them. With that said, love my Axe-Fx and know that tons of other bands can get a great tone as well from it.

I look at the modeler/tube amp discussions like the whole iPod/vinyl discussions. My vinyl sounds warmer but don't want to go running with a turntable on my back. Nothing on this earth is cooler than a hot tube amp and a 4x12 but it is very convenient to have a great sounding modeler out there.

steve_k":2jji4e9c said:
thegame":2jji4e9c said:
Upon hearing the news, Fractal audio stock just went through the roof as Rockchippy just bought all available units.

This will open up a new line of #hashfags for FlogginChippy™ on InstaGlam.

:LOL: :LOL:

romanianreaper":32bbp4cj said:
For most bands, the "wall of cabs" doesn't happen anymore. I lost my hearing for days when I saw AC/DC in 88'. LOL!

Def Leppard, more than any other band, probably benefits from the Fractal rig. They have a very processed tone and a unit like that is a perfect match for them. With that said, love my Axe-Fx and know that tons of other bands can get a great tone as well from it.

I look at the modeler/tube amp discussions like the whole iPod/vinyl discussions. My vinyl sounds warmer but don't want to go running with a turntable on my back. Nothing on this earth is cooler than a hot tube amp and a 4x12 but it is very convenient to have a great sounding modeler out there.

Great points. I think for Def Leppard the Axe-Fx is a no brainer, their sound was already heavily processed and now they get that all in one box. They also have a given list of songs that they play, so they can put in patches and presets no problem, just makes sense.

For me where I play different songs pretty much every time I play live, would rather have my tube amps and pedalboard so I can tweak on the fly. Would love an Axe-Fx or Kemper, but don't really have the time or money to make it worth it for me.

blackba":2zp0bl3s said:
romanianreaper":2zp0bl3s said:

Great points. I think for Def Leppard the Axe-Fx is a no brainer, their sound was already heavily processed and now they get that all in one box. They also have a given list of songs that they play, so they can put in patches and presets no problem, just makes sense.

For me where I play different songs pretty much every time I play live, would rather have my tube amps and pedalboard so I can tweak on the fly. Would love an Axe-Fx or Kemper, but don't really have the time or money to make it worth it for me.

Yep! I think instead of the band doing those comments, they should have had the roadies doing the interviews and saying things like "thank god, my hernia operations have gone down tremendously!!". LOL

Fractal should do an ad featuring old roadies proclaiming the medical benefits of the AFXIII... my back feels SOOOOOO much better!! LOL!

skoora":3iif61gi said:
Granted, it was brief, but once demoing a Kemper I didn’t find any of the presets making me think much of it.
Probably 'cause the factory set was installed.

It's passable, but nobody I know uses it 'cause it pales when compared to most of the commercial and even some of the free Rig Exchange offerings.

skoora":3iif61gi said:
Plus you’re not going to get the same effect of volume roll off etc as it’s not modeling anything about the amp circuit but just a snapshot of a single setting.
Oh, but you do.

Whatever gain setting you have on an amp when it's Profiled, the Kemper captures the behaviour from zero gain right up to and including that point. It's only if you dial in more gain than the Profile contains accurate data for that you get into "extrapolative" territory. Said territory is universally avoided by Kemperites 'though 'cause all manner of gain settings are used to create packs and for the 14000 freebies on the Rig Exchange.

Just "correcting" a couple o' common misconceptions, mate.

Also, I would say that countless folks have said that all the PooToob clips in the world couldn't have prepared them for the authenticity of feel and response they experienced when they first plugged into their newly-acquired Kempers. I see it practically every day.

Monkey Man":28q9ykfu said:
skoora":28q9ykfu said:
Granted, it was brief, but once demoing a Kemper I didn’t find any of the presets making me think much of it.

It's passable, but nobody I know uses it 'cause it pales when compared to most of the commercial and even some of the free Rig Exchange offerings.

skoora":28q9ykfu said:
Plus you’re not going to get the same effect of volume roll off etc as it’s not modeling anything about the amp circuit but just a snapshot of a single setting.
Oh, but you do.

Whatever gain setting you have on an amp when it's Profiled, the Kemper captures the behaviour from zero gain right up to and including that point. It's only if you dial in more gain than the Profile contains accurate data for that you get into "extrapolative" territory. Said territory is universally avoided by Kemperites 'though 'cause all manner of gain settings are used to create packs and for the 14000 freebies on the Rig Exchange.

Also, I would say that countless folks have said that all the PooToob clips in the world couldn't have prepared them for the authenticity of feel and response they experienced when they first plugged into their newly-acquired Kempers. I see it practically every day.

But how is it capturing accurately the range of gain and the way it responds to roll off when it’s only profiling one setting? To “extrapolate” that range it would need to actually be modeling that amps circuit when it’s supposedly just profiling. Are you telling the Kemper before you profile what it’s profiling and it has certain “modeling” abilities?

IMO I’m not buying something where factory setting suck and I have to hope ones I buy or find save the day. If the makers of Kemper can’t put it out with something that makes me go “Shit, that’s awesome” it doesn’t instil confidence in what it’s meant to achieve. Same would go for the Axe if I get to demo one. I feel the same way about tube amps, where supposedly it’s shit until you put X pre in V1 or put in Y brand/type power tubes. Changes/upgrades should make subtle but pleasing changes for personal taste for what was pretty spot on OEM.

If I one day get to demo a well, preset built Kemper and pee my pants I will happy to say it....:thumbsup:

skoora":kybrf7mg said:
Monkey Man":kybrf7mg said:

Oh, but you do.

But how is it capturing accurately the range of gain and the way it responds to roll off when it’s only profiling one setting? To “extrapolate” that range it would need to actually be modeling that amps circuit when it’s supposedly just profiling. Are you telling the Kemper before you profile what it’s profiling and it has certain “modeling” abilities?

It sends a signal from 0 to a lot at the profiling process, so the guitar volume roll off is covered.
You are not touching the gain knob on your amp and the guitar volume pot at the same time ever.
Unless you are into some avant garde stuff :D

aftec":18cmdh6w said:
skoora":18cmdh6w said:
Monkey Man":18cmdh6w said:

Oh, but you do.

It sends a signal from 0 to a lot at the profiling process, so the guitar volume roll off is covered.
You are not touching the gain knob on your amp and the guitar volume pot at the same time ever.
Unless you are into some avant garde stuff :D

Oh, OK.... :thumbsup:

But I still want to protest the rise of our robot overlords!!

skoora":bx18kvno said:
Oh, OK.... :thumbsup:

But I still want to protest the rise of our robot overlords!!

I don't think these things killing the tube amps. Rather the other way around.
To be able to appreciate great tube amps, you need to have some kind of a personal experience.
Some can say that a certain amp is the best ever, but it's all personal preference.
Get some profiles, try what makes you tick, comfortable, inspired, whatever.
Once you know what you are looking for, you can have a way better opinion what tube amp to get next.
After using the tonejunkie profiles, I really want to get an AC15 HW.

It's all about conveniency. With a turn of a knob you get another vibe, another dynamic etc.
And of course it keeps our robot lords happy, my duracell brother in a casket. :)

Have you heard the live version of Hysteria on Spotify? What a steaming pile of laughable crap!
Too bad there was no AxeFX for vocals...
They can have all the AxeFX in world for all I care, cause they'll still stuck.

Monkey Man":1gl1kr2f said:
skoora":1gl1kr2f said:

Monkey Man":1gl1kr2f said:
Oh, but you do.

No need for extrapolation 'cause the "Space Wars™" sequence (audio reference signal) it passes through the unit during Profiling varies in intensity from 0 right through to "full-level", which of course is only limited by the physical gain you dial into the amp, hence the result that, as I said, "the Kemper captures the behaviour from zero gain right up to and including that point. It's only if you dial in more gain than the Profile contains accurate data for that you get into "extrapolative" territory."

IMO I’m not buying something where factory setting suck and I have to hope ones I buy or find save the day. If the makers of Kemper can’t put it out with something that makes me go “Shit, that’s awesome” it doesn’t instil confidence in what it’s meant to achieve. Same would go for the Axe if I get to demo one. I feel the same way about tube amps, where supposedly it’s shit until you put X pre in V1 or put in Y brand/type power tubes. Changes/upgrades should make subtle but pleasing changes for personal taste for what was pretty spot on OEM.

If I one day get to demo a well, preset built Kemper and pee my pants I will happy to say it....:thumbsup:
I totally hear you, mate.

Unfortunately this M.O. has been in effect for many a modeller over the years. line 6's offerings have traditionally featured ultra-crap, unusable factory presets. I owned every unit from the POD v1 right through to the immediately-pre-Helix HD500, and I never used a single factory preset, not even as a starting point. Everything was tweaked from the ground up. Took me 2 years to devise presets for all the amps in the HD500, for instance, that exhibited none of the scratchiness / harshness that the unit appeared to be naturally-predisposed to.

At least in the case of the Kemper, one can achieve infinitely-better results in a matter of minutes (or seconds) as opposed to, well, years.

Some great commercial tones are ready for the (free) taking from the Kemper site or free in the Rig Manager app in the form of "Kemper Packs"; the company selects Profiles from various vendors' packs and includes them in the Rig Manager app (and downloadable from the site) as the aforementioned "Kemper Packs". These are invaluable for getting an idea of the flavours the various vendors offer, and even include overviews of who these folks are. Great idea IMHO, 'cause they're generally a cut above the 14000 Rig Exchange freebies (which also appear in the Rig Manager app), and take some of the mystery out of plunking down one's hard-earned on commercial packs.

If you demo a unit, be it in-store or whatever, you only need someone to hook up a laptop and install the Rig Manager app, which frankly any serious retailer should have already done, and up / down arrow through the various packs of Rigs to your heart's content.

D-Rock":3t15wguz said:
Have you heard the live version of Hysteria on Spotify? What a steaming pile of laughable crap!
Too bad there was no AxeFX for vocals...
They can have all the AxeFX in world for all I care, cause they'll still stuck.

I was such a huge Def Leppard fan back in the day from "On Thru the Night" up till "Hysteria". I just can't bring myself to see them live now. When I think of the early stuff and british guys in jeans jackets and buttons and headbanging and then try to compare that with 50's something women drinking wine and swaying to "Pour Some Sugar on Me", I can't do it. LOL

If you love the sound of a tube amp into a cab I don't think a Kemper with DI profiles and a cab can be beaten....especially the way the reverbs seem to be coming along.

There is barely any difference at least from most of the profiles I've made...when you get into amp/cab profiles it gets a little trickier.

The DI profiles just seem to capture the tone more accurate to my ears and you don't get the bottom end drop off that happens sometimes with a cab setup/amp sim setup.

I've owned nearly every fractal model (and still do) and plan on using the axe-fx III for a live rig just due to the fact I love the In/out setup which I can't replicate with a kemper for 3 sounds (mag/piezo/roland synth) but the kemper is badass!

IMO Fractal only really started nailing the nuances late into the II....they went thru the whole "tone match" , MIMIC, quantum FW and now ares etc but early on there wasn't much to distinguish amps especially high gain stuff....now you can hear different character in the models. IMO some of the ultra models smoked the II! There was something great in just a finished unit....the rectos have sounded anywhere from great to dog shit on the II depending on the FW at the time.

I've heard everything from shit to fantastic on both units so its up to the user....saying that the kemper is a shitload easier to get a good sound from IMO ...the number of amp models and cab models on the III just hurts my head!

I just saw DL and Journey down in VA Beach. Commented to my wife it's the worst tone I've heard DL have in all the times I've seen them. Had no clue they switched rigs. Perhaps this is why.

Not knocking modeling rigs. One of the best modeling tones I've heard was a band we played with at the Rock N' Roll Hotel in DC with a guy using a POD XT direct. DL sounded terrible recently, though.

Back