The origins of Rigtalk?

FourT6and2":h3jonuzu said:
The only thing I really remember from HCAF was the 357 Customs thing. That shit was hilarious (and sucky for those involved).

Oh god....

LOL. Man, I don't even remember what that was about but as soon as you mentioned that name, it was like remembering a war memory or something.

I actually bought my ENGL Fireball from DerekB (Rock Solid Amps) back around 2004 or so while he was sitting in a barbershop chair getting a haircut. I could hear noise in the background, etc. and we are sealing the deal while clippers whirled. Can't make this kind of stuff up. LOL

mooncobra":140mfwoe said:
I was following up on a thread I remembered, wanted to check on something. Anyhow, I guess I never paid attention when you click on the members section. I see that Bob Savage is member numero uno? Is he our creator?

Thump and Bob started it. Most, if not all, of the original members migrated over from the Harmony Central Amp Forum. They began policing everything to the point where it made everyone angry over there. We all came over here. Bob and Chris sold it to Brad King several years later.

I think I may have signed up on day 2, but it was a good while back.

FourT6and2":3l77n2jx said:
The only thing I really remember from HCAF was the 357 Customs thing. That shit was hilarious (and sucky for those involved).

There was so much that went on there it was crazy. It used to be a free for all 24/7.

i remember the HCFX being almost as big as the amp forum with its own group of people who never posted in amps. they used to get all tender when i would go in and ask how to get metallica tone with my metalzone and fender 2x12.

Dale B":cj5g2r0g said:
mooncobra":cj5g2r0g said:
I was following up on a thread I remembered, wanted to check on something. Anyhow, I guess I never paid attention when you click on the members section. I see that Bob Savage is member numero uno? Is he our creator?

Thump and Bob started it. Most, if not all, of the original members migrated over from the Harmony Central Amp Forum. They began policing everything to the point where it made everyone angry over there. We all came over here. Bob and Chris sold it to Brad King several years later.

Yeah, I was one of the Harmony Central gypsies that came over. For me it was that there were never any posts about guitar equipment anymore with those guys. Drove me crazy. It would be half of the guys saying stuff like "hey, anyone know how if the Honda Accord has bluetooth?" and other posts like "I have a big ass!!!!" and "LOLZ, HAZ Cheezburger" and crap like that.

I was like screw all of this, I'm going to RT where actual musicians reside. LOL

romanianreaper":250wpzz5 said:
Dale B":250wpzz5 said:
mooncobra":250wpzz5 said:

Yeah, I was one of the Harmony Central gypsies that came over. For me it was that there were never any posts about guitar equipment anymore with those guys. Drove me crazy. It would be half of the guys saying stuff like "hey, anyone know how if the Honda Accord has bluetooth?" and other posts like "I have a big ass!!!!" and "LOLZ, HAZ Cheezburger" and crap like that.

I was like screw all of this, I'm going to RT where actual musicians reside. LOL

In fairness though, "I keep farting and it's piping hot..." is one of the funniest threads, or just things at all, that I've ever read.

I'm an old HCAF rat from 2000-until the end. it had its hey day. then mf bought it, reformatted it, and no one really went back.

Nothing has ever quite captured the same chaos as HCAF. Those were some crazy times. I was there from '99 to the end. I came here during the initial move.

Someone else mentioned this and it jogged my memory. I found HC initially through the guitar tabs section, then reviews, and finally the chat/forum area.

I really got caught up in the craziness and enjoyed it! Now that stuff drives me nuts and I avoid it.

I’m not “addicted” to message boards anymore, which is an awesome feeling. :)

Just remembered that someone called my workplace at the time and told them I was on HC all day. Luckily, i was a good worker and all ended well, but what an asshole thing to do. Never did find out if it was Dave Gerlach or Carl Fia.

Sgtthump":lkqfp9zn said:
Someone else mentioned this and it jogged my memory. I found HC initially through the guitar tabs section, then reviews, and finally the chat/forum area.

I really got caught up in the craziness and enjoyed it! Now that stuff drives me nuts and I avoid it.

Just remembered that someone called my workplace at the time and told them I was on HC all day. Luckily, i was a good worker and all ended well, but what an asshole thing to do. Never did find out if it was Dave Gerlach or Carl Fia.

wow, that is super messed up! if someone did that to me and I lost my job, I would wreak havoc upon them.

Bob Savage":24qg4wsb said:
Sgtthump":24qg4wsb said:
Bob Savage":24qg4wsb said:
Stephen Sewall started the board but then lost it in a dance off with SgtThump and I. Stephen can’t dance.

I was nicknamed "Sugar Pop", because my ability to "pock and rock" was super fresh.

I thought it was Shugga Pawp but it’s been a while.

Hey man, we should start a forum or something. I miss babysitting.

Not.

Step away from the bong dude! :LOL: :LOL:

mooncobra":1wvpm79e said:
Sgtthump":1wvpm79e said:

wow, that is super messed up! if someone did that to me and I lost my job, I would wreak havoc upon them.

I was super pissed! My boss was super cool and didn’t make a big deal out of it, but I felt like a moron. I (obviously) stopped sharing that type of info on the boards!

Sgtthump":2uvs6zre said:
mooncobra":2uvs6zre said:
Sgtthump":2uvs6zre said:

I was super pissed! My boss was super cool and didn’t make a big deal out of it, but I felt like a moron. I (obviously) stopped sharing that type of info on the boards!
Dave Gerlach....is this the same clown who's grandfather supposedly wrote a Zep tune but cries that he never got credited for it? I think he was recently on here as "Mr Huge" but kept trying to troll political BS and got banned. Again. For the 5th time or so. Lol

Although I didn't post whole a lot, the HCAF was probably my most fun forum experience by far.
The flame wars between John Ou and Thumpzilla was hilarious too.

orangekick":1n6zjwcf said:
Nothing has ever quite captured the same chaos as HCAF. Those were some crazy times. I was there from '99 to the end. I came here during the initial move.
I joined HC in 98 or 99. They purged all of the accounts and we had to rejoin around 2000.

We had a pretty tight group back in the day before the hc group started their mass invasion :LOL: :LOL:
I started buying so much stuff from the same people it got to the point the would offer to send it before I had the money. Crazy to think of the trust between some of us without even meeting. I think the first thing I bought was from Mark in Oregon, TC2290 maxed out. Sent a money order :LOL: :LOL: from there it just got crazy.

I remember watching it on eBay. Found RT because I was researching an amp Steve via was using (xtc) and ended up on the Egnater module trip.

Had to step away and downsize but I lurk here from time to time. Gotta check on Mailman :D and check the classifieds once in a while for a few things I’d like to get back in my setup. :yes:

Lotta funny stuff back in the day :rock:

Sgtthump":unuy1tpt said:

Yep, I remember that and I'm pretty sure it was Carl...if not, that's ok too because we still get to blame it on Carl :LOL: :LOL:

Remember all the Vince Sansevere "Scamsevere" legendary shenanigans? including but not limited to the time he came on and posted that he was out on tour with Overkill and writing from Dave Linsk's personal laptop, only to have the real Dave Linsk join the board moments later and shoot that entire thing down ? :LOL: :LOL: Or the custom shop Jackson's he ordered while pretending to be in a band or a roadie for Mustaine ??? he got popped on explosives and firearms charges later on but there's still photos out there of him and his Hummer...good times.

Back