Mooer Preamp Live - cheap Kemper?

Kapo_Polenton

Ok, so it likely is not on the level of your Kempers so don't get your panties in a knot. However, for what it does and the price it does it at? Hard not to think Mooer has hit a homerun once again. In fact, I am surprised there have been no posts on this here. Are we sleeping at the wheel Rig Talkers??!!

I think there have been a few posts with different titles. I had wanted one immediately but wanted to wait to see what regular users think as I have sold my big name youtube stock.

I talked to one guy who confirmed the tone match is really more of an EQ match starting with a pre existing Mooer tone. So this is not a "profiler" like the Kemper although the guy said either way it does get very close.

Looks like Mooer are putting out a lot of cool stuff. Had a GE-200, cool little unit.

On a side note. Why does Ola go full retard these days?

We’ve discussed it a little in other threads, but I don’t think it’s even available yet. ?
I wish I had that and pedal sized power amp years ago when I was gigging and on the road. Back then it was five assholes crammed in an old church van full of gear, and at least one backup head, and two bench seats to sleep on. Definitely remember catching some zzz’s on top of 4x12 cabs lol.

mchn13":46dn8cq6 said:
We’ve discussed it a little in other threads, but I don’t think it’s even available yet. ?
I wish I had that and pedal sized power amp years ago when I was gigging and on the road. Back then it was five assholes crammed in an old church van full of gear, and at least one backup head, and two bench seats to sleep on. Definitely remember catching some zzz’s on top of 4x12 cabs lol.
Yeah, would have been amazing.

Even today for me. Moreso not gigging I feel having 2 stacks and a tube combo is just ridiculous. Barely get to use them. I would absolutely love to capture my amps and then sell them but I'm not sure how close this unit would get me.

I'm really liking everything I've seen about it. The one thing I would like to know is if there is any delay when switching presets. I hate even the slightest delay. I'm wondering if it would be able to capture a Fuzz tone? I mean is there a existing preset that is close enough that the eq match can get it right?

I've had mine since Monday it's good. People are kinda discounting about it's tone matching because the thing is 400 bucks but they're wrong. I tone captured my Mesa TC 50 and it's pretty damn close to the amp as far as I am concerned. The target model I used was a Mesa Mark 3 and it's way thicker than that amp model. Whatever they used is good it seems to have some of the characteristics of the amp. Not a big fan of the stock IR's so far or the EL 34 power amp sim section. The 6L6 and the EL 84 are good though and I am using Lynchback and Cremeback IR's and it's sounding good. The boost is OK but I prefer my Strymon Sunset for that. Anyway it's really killer for the price and honestly being a former Kemper and Axe FX user it seems to be damn great but we'll see how it tracks. So far I'm impressed.

shred-o-holic":i9ocr5s6 said:
I've had mine since Monday it's good. People are kinda discounting about it's tone matching because the thing is 400 bucks but they're wrong. I tone captured my Mesa TC 50 and it's pretty damn close to the amp as far as I am concerned. The target model I used was a Mesa Mark 3 and it's way thicker than that amp model. Whatever they used is good it seems to have some of the characteristics of the amp. Not a big fan of the stock IR's so far or the EL 34 power amp sim section. The 6L6 and the EL 84 are good though and I am using Lynchback and Cremeback IR's and it's sounding good. The boost is OK but I prefer my Strymon Sunset for that. Anyway it's really killer for the price and honestly being a former Kemper and Axe FX user it seems to be damn great but we'll see how it tracks. So far I'm impressed.
I guess you were the guy I replied to on UG. Where did you get the unit? Doesn't seem like many people are selling.

maddnotez":18acepaj said:
shred-o-holic":18acepaj said:
I guess you were the guy I replied to on UG. Where did you get the unit? Doesn't seem like many people are selling.

What’s UG? I ordered thru Amazon bought directly from Mooer. Came from China in less than a week very fast.

shred-o-holic":1tbdcil4 said:

OH, that Avatar is just fucking EPIC. :LOL: :LOL:

:D :D
danyeo":1n8vszks said:
shred-o-holic":1n8vszks said:

OH, that Avatar is just fucking EPIC. :LOL: :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :D

peterc52":1bi5mvfx said:
Looks like Mooer are putting out a lot of cool stuff. Had a GE-200, cool little unit.

On a side note. Why does Ola go full retard these days?

+1 on everything here. Want to check this Mooer out
I guess Ola's clown show style reaches more people? I liked serious Ola amp tone stuff way more.
Also so happy Fluff ditched the Joke of the Day routine, that was unwatchable
Stevie T does make that zany stuff work- it seems more natural with whoever he is.

I really want to try one. Was about to get an ISP Theta but I may wait and get the mooer. I would just prefer to get from SW or somewhere with a no hassle return if the tone capture did not convince me.

So after using it the past 5 days there are a couple of hiccups. The first tone capture was a breeze, however when I switch banks to do a second one it seems a little quirky. The gain out of the target amp through the unit seemed reduced in half and I had diffuculty switching out of tone capture mode and saving it. Maybe some of it is my user error I'm still getting acquainted. I dunno I need to contact Mooer and get some clarity. I already did a system reset once to clear up the issues. Kinda helped but still I'm having some issues. I did achieve 2 tone captures that I'm happy with but I still need more time and have questions. It's still a great unit. I see firmware upgrades in the preamp lives' future I bet..

Have you done a capture on the Ironball yet? Does it work as a USB interface (i.e. recording straight into your DAW)?

indespise":200bhb2n said:
Have you done a capture on the Ironball yet? Does it work as a USB interface (i.e. recording straight into your DAW)?

Yes I have done the Ironball and my Mesa TC. Both sound great. The usb is only for the studio software for amps cabs mics etc. I use the xlr and 1/4 for recording into the DAW. Which is what I did with the Kemper. It also doesn’t use the usb for output. My Duet sounds fine though. With a good interface don’t feel like I’m missing anything.

Back