for Skolnick fans

Jarle is a killer player. He was a legend in Norway just by word of mouth. Everyone had heard about the guy from Bergen who could play anything.
It might even have been before the Internet/youtube/forum stuff was as widespread as today.

Purpleibby":3ilknz0j said:
maddnotez":3ilknz0j said:
napalmdeath":3ilknz0j said:
There was a thread about Skolnick awile back, and a handful of forumites went on about how overrated he is, how uninspiring his playing is, meh this, meh, that, yada yada. I love Skolnick, always will. I think he's actually criminally UNDERrated. He's an amazing player.
I vaguely remember that thread and I think my reply was "have you even heard Skolnick play?"

Agree with both here.....he was almost Malmsteen level on The New Order(maybe that's why the guy in the video ommitted songs from that album;). He's awesome(Skolnick). Cool video, no doubt dude did a good job there. Thanks for posting.

Nah... He can do it :D

For Skolnick fans...check out the YouTube channel BangerTV. He is a panelist on a competition series called "Shredders of Metal". Honestly a lot of it is hard to watch, but Alex does some demo stuff.

BangerTv is a channel by Sam Dunn from documentaries Metal evolution and "Rush: beyond the lighted stage" and a Maiden doc.
Also Martin Popoff is involved. Writer of a zillion metal/hard rock biographies...

ke2":2uxdfv7l said:
Purpleibby":2uxdfv7l said:
maddnotez":2uxdfv7l said:
napalmdeath":2uxdfv7l said:
There was a thread about Skolnick awile back, and a handful of forumites went on about how overrated he is, how uninspiring his playing is, meh this, meh, that, yada yada. I love Skolnick, always will. I think he's actually criminally UNDERrated. He's an amazing player.
I vaguely remember that thread and I think my reply was "have you even heard Skolnick play?"

Agree with both here.....he was almost Malmsteen level on The New Order(maybe that's why the guy in the video ommitted songs from that album;). He's awesome(Skolnick). Cool video, no doubt dude did a good job there. Thanks for posting.

Nah... He can do it :D

That is killer stuff!!!!!!!

Panzer917-30":1aegj6uk said:
For Skolnick fans...check out the YouTube channel BangerTV. He is a panelist on a competition series called "Shredders of Metal". Honestly a lot of it is hard to watch, but Alex does some demo stuff.

BangerTv is a channel by Sam Dunn from documentaries Metal evolution and "Rush: beyond the lighted stage" and a Maiden doc.
Also Martin Popoff is involved. Writer of a zillion metal/hard rock biographies...

I watched that series, it was pretty cool. Interesting show.

Skolnick definitely a great player and the video above was great, thanks for sharing.

I like his recorded stuff. I hate watching interviews with him. I find him annoying. And I hate his tone in his demos/lessons

stratjacket":2e7n4t3c said:
Panzer917-30":2e7n4t3c said:

I watched that series, it was pretty cool. Interesting show.

Skolnick definitely a great player and the video above was great, thanks for sharing.

Checking it out. They review the newest Deicide. Did not know that was out but it seems pretty good.

Ok I have to edit this. I skimmed through it and while it is ok, these guys are never going to come anywhere close to Legion.

Great player....haven't been many great songs since their early days but they are still a monster band.

messenger":3jq3u36v said:
I like his recorded stuff. I hate watching interviews with him. I find him annoying. And I hate his tone in his demos/lessons

Yeah, he's rough looking, and looks talks like he had a stroke. And, he's only 49!

jkdsteve":2mayfgpa said:
Great player....haven't been many great songs since their early days but they are still a monster band.

i listened to new Deicide about 6 times through. it’s a simpler record. decent solos, but riffs are very simple. i feel like all the vocal tracks are the same and could almost be plugged into or rearranged in any of the songs. i loved their last release, and this is a lot different. Glen back on earlier albums sang low and high parts together for that dual vocal track. now he just records a low part.

I first saw Testament on the PWYP tour and Alex was a full on shred god then. He doesn’t use the same tired pentatonic riffs and his phrasing is certainly his own. He then went off and studied jazz.....and if you have not heard his jazz renditions of Detroit Rock City or Dream On you need to. Alex was great in the early days and he is great now.

Back