Bogner Helios Eclipse

Jon BCN

No info about this amp?

How is the amp for thrash metal? It's aggresive enough?

And I guess still sounds good at bedroom volume like his original version.

Jon BCN":2m7yzmim said:
No info about this amp?

Every clip (and there aren't many) I have heard is crap. I would say move on for thrash metal.

steve_k":3jn4umw0 said:
Jon BCN":3jn4umw0 said:
No info about this amp?

Every clip (and there aren't many) I have heard is crap. I would say move on for thrash metal.

I liked this one:

Seems to still retain part of that raw vintage Marshall thing the original Helios has.

Jon BCN":1wsomblb said:
steve_k":1wsomblb said:
Jon BCN":1wsomblb said:
No info about this amp?

I liked this one:

Seems to still retain part of that raw vintage Marshall thing the original Helios has.

That is a tremendous tone and tasty playing too.

I'm on the fence on this one... I love Bogners and I want to love this amp. And, that clip does sound really good (heard some great original Helios clips, too), but for thrash?? I'd be looking elsewhere... in the Bogner camp, the 20th Shiva or the Twin Jet might be better thrash amps. In the same price range, I'd be looking at a Diezel or a Friedman. For a little less cash, I'd be looking at some older Marshalls (2203, JCM900, JCM2000, etc.). Don't underestimate a Splawn, either. There are other options, too.. KSR comes to mind, as well as a number of modded Marshall types.

ChurchHill":16h2kh1t said:
I'm on the fence on this one... I love Bogners and I want to love this amp. And, that clip does sound really good (heard some great original Helios clips, too), but for thrash?? I'd be looking elsewhere... in the Bogner camp, the 20th Shiva or the Twin Jet might be better thrash amps. In the same price range, I'd be looking at a Diezel or a Friedman. For a little less cash, I'd be looking at some older Marshalls (2203, JCM900, JCM2000, etc.). Don't underestimate a Splawn, either. There are other options, too.. KSR comes to mind, as well as a number of modded Marshall types.

For thrash I would agree the Splawn is most likely a better choice and a heck of a lot cheaper. I have owned a couple Bogner's and love them but imho the Splawn is in the same league but has a lot more immediate feel and a more aggressive voice to it that lends it self very well to heavier music.

If you're looking for Marshall like tones, get a Ceriatone Yeti or Chupacabra. Either one will give you vicious Marshall thrash tones in spades. And I'm talking plugged straight in. Or you could buy napalmdeath's JSX in the classifieds for $399, and that'll definitely get you there. I've got a XXX II (same amp as a JSX) that I bought the day after seeing Havok using them live. Their XXX II's sounded fucking incredible. I've also seen Suffocation use them live and their tone was also sick. ND also put KT-77's in his (as did I) and those kill in that amp. Total sleeper amp for heavy tones and CHEAP. Other killer amps for thrash: Engl Fireball, 5150 III, Framus Cobra, KSR Ares.....

I’d avoid Splawn for thrash as the gain isnt saturated and the tones end up being dry. Some love that.....I just don’t. Now the newer QR with the old circuit might be perfect but I have not tried one yet. The Bogner doesn’t seem like a thrash amp either. I love my Mesa JP2c for old Metallica etc. just my 2 cents.

stompboxfreak72":79i6w9x8 said:
I’d avoid Splawn for thrash as the gain isnt saturated and the tones end up being dry. Some love that.....I just don’t. Now the newer QR with the old circuit might be perfect but I have not tried one yet. The Bogner doesn’t seem like a thrash amp either. I love my Mesa JP2c for old Metallica etc. just my 2 cents.

I guess it depends on what your frame of reference is on thrash tones. I have a B+ Splawn and I think it does thrash great. I had a Bogner Helios when they first came out; it needed a boost to thrash.

Splawn B+ is more saturated Than my Friedmans. No boost needed. I think you could get good thrash out it.

Again, all depends on what you like to hear and feel when it comes to thrash.

When I think thrash, Anthrax’s Spreading The Disease & Among The Living immediately come to mind.
Boosted JCM800 all day long :rock:

Junk Yard Dog":tgbqg5j3 said:
stompboxfreak72":tgbqg5j3 said:

I guess it depends on what your frame of reference is on thrash tones. I have a B+ Splawn and I think it does thrash great. I had a Bogner Helios when they first came out; it needed a boost to thrash.

Splawn B+ is more saturated Than my Friedmans. No boost needed. I think you could get good thrash out it.

Again, all depends on what you like to hear and feel when it comes to thrash.
Agreed.... the new Splawns can easily do thrash. The 2018 models have much more gain than the older ones and are not dry sounding....I have had a bunch of them and these are different than my older ones....

Thanks everybody for the input!

ChurchHill":1m7vmt7z said:

I have a Friedman BE100 already and it's too smooth for thrash, it's an awesome amp for hard rock/classic heavy, but it lacks the aggresiveness I want for thrash.

My thrash references are basically early Metallica (Kill'em All & Ride The Lightning). I guess a boosted JCM800 is the safest bet possible, but I want an amp that can be played at bedroom and I'm not sure a JCM800 is that type of amp. Maybe I can use it with a BE OD and call it a day for bedroom.

Beyond Black":214huwkq said:
If you're looking for Marshall like tones, get a Ceriatone Yeti or Chupacabra. Either one will give you vicious Marshall thrash tones in spades. And I'm talking plugged straight in. Or you could buy napalmdeath's JSX in the classifieds for $399, and that'll definitely get you there. I've got a XXX II (same amp as a JSX) that I bought the day after seeing Havok using them live. Their XXX II's sounded fucking incredible. I've also seen Suffocation use them live and their tone was also sick. ND also put KT-77's in his (as did I) and those kill in that amp. Total sleeper amp for heavy tones and CHEAP. Other killer amps for thrash: Engl Fireball, 5150 III, Framus Cobra, KSR Ares.....

I heard good things from the Yeti & Chupacabra, but I fear their resale value here in Europe would be very bad if I decide to move them later.

The EVH 5150 Stealth EL34 is another amp in my radar.

Jon BCN":2f870lcj said:
Beyond Black":2f870lcj said:

I heard good things from the Yeti & Chupacabra, but I fear their resale value here in Europe would be very bad if I decide to move them later.

Na, in Europe Ceriatone stuff is decently famous . I got my Yeti and am plenty happy. If you're into thrash stuff the Yeti is real fun, it has a double gain to deliver proper saturation if needed.

Zado":2i1lnddh said:
Jon BCN":2i1lnddh said:
Beyond Black":2i1lnddh said:

Na, in Europe Ceriatone stuff is decently famous . I got my Yeti and am plenty happy. If you're into thrash stuff the Yeti is real fun, it has a double gain to deliver proper saturation if needed.

How is it for bedroom volume?

Jon BCN":3pgoyy0a said:

ChurchHill":3pgoyy0a said:

I have a Friedman BE100 already and it's too smooth for thrash, it's an awesome amp for hard rock/classic heavy, but it lacks the aggresiveness I want for thrash.

My thrash references are basically early Metallica (Kill'em All & Ride The Lightning). I guess a boosted JCM800 is the safest bet possible, but I want an amp that can be played at bedroom and I'm not sure a JCM800 is that type of amp. Maybe I can use it with a BE OD and call it a day for bedroom.
Easily the best choice, if you are using a pedal. Most 800s I've owned have a small taper but it's still there. After all these bands used them.

Racerxrated":1nny7af4 said:
Jon BCN":1nny7af4 said:

ChurchHill":1nny7af4 said:

Easily the best choice, if you are using a pedal. Most 800s I've owned have a small taper but it's still there. After all these bands used them.

Marshall Master volume amp with 6550’s and a Boss SD-1 out front is killer sounding. I went back to them for like the 6th time and stuck with the 6550’s. It just has “that” sound.

Back