Great Live VH From ‘78

Brings back good memories. I had recently hooked a super hot chick. Man she was drop dead gorgeous. Her ex boyfriend was older and came after me in his pickup. I was way too young to drive. Her older Sister Rhonda's boyfriend took me and her to see VH in 81 or 82 on the Diver Down tour. Great seats right off to the left of the stage. I remember seeing Eddie with a massive wall of stacks. Good stuff. :rock:

Van Halen played local high school back in 77
Seriously. I’ve gotten tons of bootleg recordings.
Can’t say I was there. I was 6 years old. :LOL: :LOL:

This is THE best sounding VH bootleg in existence...
Live soundboard recording of Van Halen from October 15, 1977. It was recorded at Pasadena Convention Center California right before their debut album was released.

zz666":3fb0qnkh said:
Live soundboard recording of Van Halen from October 15, 1977. It was recorded at Pasadena Convention Center in Pasadena, California.

That is cool!! I hadn't heard that recording

Thanks for the show

zz666":2yhphmk9 said:
Live soundboard recording of Van Halen from October 15, 1977. It was recorded at Pasadena Convention Center California right before their debut album was released.

Got that one when I was about 12 or 13 in 1983. The LP version I had was called Die Laughing and it had some photos of them at Dave's dad's house. I wore that thing out. A few years ago I found it on CD at the Orange Co. Guitar Show, so I have it again now. That was great stuff. Every time I drive by the Pasadena Civic Center, I imagine having been there at the time.

Oh, and my old VH tribute would sometimes do this version's alternate intro to Somebody Get Me a Doctor. Gotta be a serious VH nerd to catch it when we did it. Go to 18:40. KILLER SOLO too. Just smoking.

both of those are so good...thanks for posting.

those guys were sooo far out of the box man. i, like many, can only imagine and dream what it would have been like to be growing up, esp in Cali at that time and see those guys live...before "it all".

and yea, that alternative intro to SGMAD is killer....i believe that the original intro riff that was laid down on the Simmons tracks/demo. but yea..smokin.

this thread has prompted me to go back and listen to the "demo" record they did...of course it was studio...but my god the guitar work (and musicianship for the entire group) was just off the hook.

ETA...one more thing...some of the stuff Ed plays on the record is just damn hard to play/replicate..but he had entirely different gear when he was live (back in the day)...m'f'r was a beast.

You listen to the practice part of the Sacramento show and you hear Mean Streets, which on the tape is called Voodoo Queen lol. I have a Badlands demo here somewhere that is full of all the Badlands tunes that they would eventually record, but on the demo it's just parts of songs melded with other parts of other songs...you hear part of "Rumblin Train" mixed with "The Streets Cry Freedom".
Same with the recent Whitesnake 87 30th anni CD..parts of songs that would turn into different tunes altogether. Cool stuff.

Back