2x12 cabs: What's your choice?

napalmdeath

I'm looking to ditch the 4x12, and downsize to a 2x12. I'd like something that pairs well with the Ceriatone Yeti, so something that pairs well with Marshall voicing with a tight crunch is the order of the day.

I was really close to ordering the 5150 III 2x12, as the speaker choice would be ideal, but 50 watts is probably not a good idea with a 100 watt head!

One thing I've noticed, the majority of options all come loaded with V30's? Even the Friedman cabs, (which I thought were Creambacks).

This said, I'm looking at:
Orange PPC (in black)
Friedman Vintage
Mesa
Or, Avatar, with a V30 and GH, Creambacks, or the Avatar Fane speakers sound pretty interesting.

If I decide to just get a new 4x12, (slim chance), I'd go for an EVH. Seems like the perfect choice.

Bogner's helios 212 has a v30 m65 combo. Not a cheap cab though and relatively hard to find used.

The EVH 4x12 is my favorite cab! I know you're looking to downsize, but I've seen these going for $400 on craigslist in excellent condition. I tried the EVH 2x12 and honestly wasn't that excited about it.
Other good 2x12 options include the Bogner OS and StoneAge. I also recently played an Emperor 2x12 offset and was blown away!

I really dig the Orange 2x12’s they’re huge sounding. I would say very close to a 4x12. But, they’re heavy as hell and do not come with casters. The Mesa 2x12’s are good as well.

At the moment, the Bogner 2x12 is my favorite. I've got an Orange PPC212 and it's a good cabinet, too. It sounds a little smaller than the Bogner, though, at least when I had V30s in both. The Bogner sounds almost as big as my 4x12s do.

napalmdeath":3bx5whgy said:
I'm looking to ditch the 4x12, and downsize to a 2x12.
900x900px_LL_0244ee12_larry_david_faint1qqx.gif

I’ve got the Mesa horizontal, Bogner OS, and Friedman 2x12. I like all three.

I prefer the Friedman most. It’s fuller than my Bogner. Not as directional as the Mesa.

I've only owned 3 2x12 cabs: an Avatar, 440 Live (with V30 and CL 80) and the Peavey MC 2x12. I still have the 440 Live and PV.

My favorite is the PV with its original G12k85s. Runs one speaker at 16 ohms or two at 8 ohms. That's the cab I used in the vid with the XXX I bought from you, and have another clip on my YT channel with the Crate Stealth (which I got on RT from ZR440) with the same cab. ZR was at my house while I was playing thru the PV cab and Stealth head and can confirm how ballsy that cab sounds.

GOHOINC":3njdwtyr said:
Bogner's helios 212 has a v30 m65 combo. Not a cheap cab though and relatively hard to find used.

this is an awesome 2x12! if you cant find one, avatar can build something similar, but that creamback and v30 combo sounds great.

ChurchHill":3vpxxoet said:
At the moment, the Bogner 2x12 is my favorite. I've got an Orange PPC212 and it's a good cabinet, too. It sounds a little smaller than the Bogner, though, at least when I had V30s in both. The Bogner sounds almost as big as my 4x12s do.

Bogner for sure!

I have a Port City 2x12 that I like and it's not too heavy. Some of my heroes are using Bob Burt cabs, but didn't have a chance to try one myself.

mooncobra":3q1hcrm1 said:
GOHOINC":3q1hcrm1 said:

this is an awesome 2x12! if you cant find one, avatar can build something similar, but that creamback and v30 combo sounds great.

Ive run a V30 with an M65, a heritage 65 and an alnico cream in a Bogner OS212 and they are all just different flavors of awesome. The Bogner OS212 is a great cab. I now have a Friedman 212 and it is another flavor of great. If downsizing, the Friedman is a little smaller than the Bogner but you can't go wrong with either imo.

V30 & an M65 Creamback is a great combo :rock:

Also, FYI, pretty sure the EVH 2x12 comes with 2 x G12H30 70th anniversary speakers.
If you want the EVH greenbacks, you have to buy the 4x12, which as others have said, in freakin' incredible.

Don't forget Splawn cabs. Very well built and affordable. Probably go well with your Yeti. Mine has Small Blocks (which is similar to a 55w Greenback) but Scott can load you up with different options built to order. Lots of love for Creambacks and Scott recommends those a lot - paired with Quick Rods.

I also owned an Avatar 212 at one point and was super happy with the construction/price ratio. Maybe not on par with a Mesa or Bogner or Splawn but a real good value. I ordered mine with a G12H30 and CL 80 no shit.

Splawn cabs are great, I just got a vertical Zilla Fatboy and it’s incredible!
One more 412 to sell and I’m done with them

Keeping my Mesa 4x12 Trad for now but only because it looks bad ass. I don't gig though. That and it puts all the controls where I can see em'.

(was listening to Slipknot's 'The Devil Inside' when I read your post lol.)

fusedbrain":jdxypsum said:
V30 & an M65 Creamback is a great combo :rock:

Also, FYI, pretty sure the EVH 2x12 comes with 2 x G12H30 70th anniversary speakers.
If you want the EVH greenbacks, you have to buy the 4x12, which as others have said, in freakin' incredible.

Yeah, I can live with the Heritages. But it's listed as a 50 watt cab, (though, oddly enough, I thought they were 30 watts?)

Back