Bogner XTC vs Axe FX Ultra clips!

• Thread starter Thread starter flyangus
  • Start date Start date
flyangus
flyangus
Posted this over at TGP after Eric offered to reamp rigs on the Axe-FX, thought you guys might be interested!: :)

Here are the clips that Eric and I came up with for the Axe-FX rig comparison.

Basically, I recorded the Bogner dry into Pro Tools along with the split guitar signal so that Eric could reamp the guitar with exactly the same performance.

Guitar was an EBMM Axis into the Bogner red channel, into a Bogner 4x12 w/G12H30's mic'd with a Trion 7000 mic/Hardy M1 preamp - straight into MBox using Pro Tools LE7. The guitar signal was split with a Cornish splitter straight into the MBox at the same time.

(The clip itself was just a rush job, first take and no placement tweaking.)

Bogner clip:

https://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=6468536

Axe-FX clip:

https://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=6468774

EDIT: Re-Amp Update:

OK,

I re-amped the Bogner using the same WAV file that everyone else has. I snipped the intro because the noise is terrible, it's not hiss from the track it's pickup or a ground loop maybe. The clip sounds pretty much like the original otherwise IMHO.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6474770

Here is the same file again but using the Blue channel re-amped.

Bogner Blue Channel Re-Amp:

https://soundclick.com/share?songid=6474785

:)

Bogner

https://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=6468536

Axe-fx

https://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=6468774

My response from TGP.....................

Angus you sexified face puncher bringer of pain you OWN!!!!!!!!

Man you can bring a nasty groove, the women in my office started to throw their panties into my corner office yelling....

"OH YOU SEXY MOFO GUITARSLINGER ANGUS............OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH!!!!!"

Cool thread, I believe the re-amping could have been done better and saying that with respect and not a knock.

Keeping rocking Angus

Both sound great :thumbsup:

I like the Bogner clip better personally :)

Angus!!

I love anything that you play so that's a given! You are one of my faves for sure. That said, The bogner sounds better hands down but that doesn't mean that the axefx sucks! The bogner has more of a 3-d sound and the zxe-fx just has that plastic tone that I hear with a lot of modelors. That said, I wonder how the AXE-FX would sound if it was miked up though an H-30 cab?

YOU ROCK and really great groove bruthah!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

~R~

IMO ma boy Angus threw many things at the Axe-fx that it has trouble handling IMO like the guitar volume work and highgain with a very dynamic player involved but in the end I am sure things could be tweaked even better.

Funny how Scott Peterson has swung in to try his hand at re-amping :lol: :LOL:

I thought both clips sounded killer. The playing also made my little pee pee hard. :scared:

Great playing!

I liked the Bogner clip better, the Axe sounded great but I don't think a modeller will ever be able to duplicate that grit and snarl factor that great tube amps have.

The Axe still gets a :rock: from me though, killer sounding clip. The XTC is just a monster of an amp.

I didn't bother listening to the axe-fx clip to be honest, but the Bogner clip was bad ASS. :rock:

ratter":19xyt4qm said:
I didn't bother listening to the axe-fx clip to be honest, but the Bogner clip was bad ASS. :rock:

Man now that is hardcore TGPer right there!!!! :lol: :LOL: :D

Digital Jams":w8c4yl4i said:
IMO ma boy Angus threw many things at the Axe-fx that it has trouble handling IMO like the guitar volume work and highgain with a very dynamic player involved but in the end I am sure things could be tweaked even better.

Funny how Scott Peterson has swung in to try his hand at re-amping :lol: :LOL:

My exact assessment! Killer clips nonetheless!

Digital Jams":1zz94a70 said:
ratter":1zz94a70 said:

I think it'd be the other way around! Aren't they all hot for the axe-fx over there?

In all fairness to the axe-fx, it might have been better to post the reamped axe-fx track and also a reamped bogner track, rather than the first take bogner track. That way any weaknesses in the reamp process (which is an art unto itself!) would affect both.

But I just haven't heard anything I've liked out of the axe-fx yet to the point that I just kinda gave up on it for the time being...

ratter":23w7msna said:
Digital Jams":23w7msna said:
ratter":23w7msna said:

I think it'd be the other way around! Aren't they all hot for the axe-fx over there?

In all fairness to the axe-fx, it might have been better to post the reamped axe-fx track and also a reamped bogner track, rather than the first take bogner track. That way any weaknesses in the reamp process (which is an art unto itself!) would affect both.

But I just haven't heard anything I've liked out of the axe-fx yet to the point that I just kinda gave up on it for the time being...

Yeah there are a few zealots for sure, Peterson will be VERY busy doing his reamping take tonight for sure!

flyangus":2xsouk8c said:
Posted this over at TGP after Eric offered to reamp rigs on the Axe-FX, thought you guys might be interested!: :)
[...]

Great playing, as always... The second clip sounds a bit less dynamic and complex as far as I can judge it with my cheap speakers, but to be honest, it would fool me. It shows that today you can easily make a clip with a modeller that sounds more convincing than many of the clips with the Real Thing. Decent recording and mixing skills help too, I guess.

The Bogner sounded better and quieter. I was impressed with what the axfx did though. Great playin' by the way! :thumbsup:

Back