Transitioning to my new home in RT: my latest gear story

Draelyc":5l976nk5 said:
guitarslinger":5l976nk5 said:
just buy a bogner. :rock:

Lol, folks have recommended a Shiva to me. :D

I've never gotten to play one myseff, yet, tho...

I was about to do the same. Loved that amp, it was my main rig for 2 years. But I need the metal tones, too :cry:

Based on your initial description and your issues with the Z, I think the Shiva is the cure. Make sure it gets nice tubes and is properly biased and rock on!

D/FW XJ'er":igqn5p23 said:
Nevermind, Chris. Make your way up to Guitar Center and try out the Dunlop re-issue Way Huge pedals. Specifically the Fat Sandwich and the Swollen Pickle. I bought an SP for my Vox tonight, and dude, with my Telecaster it gets freakin' fat, snarly and warm. I think you'd really dig one with the similar Dr Z, as it's so touch sensitive. I don't lose any of the dynamics of my Vox, compared to say a Rat...

But if the Pickle doesn't clean up enough with your humbuckers, try the Fat Sandwich. It seemed to max out where the Pickle picked up. They're also extremely high quality, and a tiny bit cheaper than the Vex stuff.

I've been curious about the Way Huge reissues anyway, tbh, so I'll definitely check out esp. the Sammich ~ sounds like it would be up my alley. I want to check out a BB preamp, as well. As for the amp, though, I jus' dunno, y'know? Me, I'd rather run a dirty amp & get my cleans by rolling back the guitar than run a clean(ish) amp & get my dirt from pedals. It's crazy, because some of my favorite players use that second method, but I just prefer the former. :confused:

I do wanna hear some clispeses of your new Vox rig, though! :gethim: :D

hunter":ml1l8g3c said:
Draelyc":ml1l8g3c said:
guitarslinger":ml1l8g3c said:

I was about to do the same. Loved that amp, it was my main rig for 2 years. But I need the metal tones, too :cry:

Based on your initial description and your issues with the Z, I think the Shiva is the cure. Make sure it gets nice tubes and is properly biased and rock on!

Dig. How well did the Shiva's dirty channel clean up from your guitar's volume? I've really gotten addicted to using one channel (even on my channel switcher) & just riding the volume knob, y'know?

Draelyc":1r71xvzr said:
I've been curious about the Way Huge reissues anyway, tbh, so I'll definitely check out esp. the Sammich ~ sounds like it would be up my alley. I want to check out a BB preamp, as well. As for the amp, though, I jus' dunno, y'know? Me, I'd rather run a dirty amp & get my cleans by rolling back the guitar than run a clean(ish) amp & get my dirt from pedals. It's crazy, because some of my favorite players use that second method, but I just prefer the former. :confused:

I do wanna hear some clispeses of your new Vox rig, though! :gethim: :D

Brutha, take this as a chance to run an unconventional rig, to get the same results :thu:

I've rarely experienced a pedal that is so responsive to my amp, and trust me I was NOT expecting it. I played through several original Swollen Pickles and they were nasty Muff clones... and of course I mean that in a good way :D

In additional, you click that sucker off, and you are welcomed to some lovely Dr. Z clean tones, that you won't find with your Speed Twin :)

edit: The Fat Sandwich and Swollen Pickle clean up great with your guitar volume. I'm using my Tele, which I assumed was going to thin out when using the bridge pickup... not the case by a long shot.

Draelyc":aool3eez said:
hunter":aool3eez said:
Draelyc":aool3eez said:
guitarslinger":aool3eez said:

Dig. How well did the Shiva's dirty channel clean up from your guitar's volume? I've really gotten addicted to using one channel (even on my channel switcher) & just riding the volume knob, y'know?

how clean do you need to go? I've got an EL34 shiva for sale in the classifieds. I find that it cleans up, but doesn't get pristine clean on the crunch channel when you back of the volume. I've been able to get it to clean up decently by rolling back and switching to my neck pickup. It's not the best amp for that though. The clean channel is gorgeous though. The shiva sounds great at low volume too.

My tremoverb cleans up much better on the blues channel. Infact, the tremoverb might be right up your alley with the blues mode. Great crunch, cleans up well with volume and has a nice clean channel to back it up. The mesa voicing may or may not sit well with you. The bogner deffinately has a more classic marshally tone to it, while the tremoverb still sounds like a recto, just a clearer warmer one. The tremoverb also sound very good at lower volumes.

both amps need some volume to sound their best, but they do well at tv levels.

Draelyc":3b8bbi9a said:
guitarslinger":3b8bbi9a said:

You know, while a Shiva is a good call and probably affordable for you if you watch the price, more and more as I read your posts I'm beginning to realize what you actually want is a Peters.

No, seriously.

modestmelody":3k1e65p7 said:
Draelyc":3k1e65p7 said:
guitarslinger":3k1e65p7 said:

You know, while a Shiva is a good call and probably affordable for you if you watch the price, more and more as I read your posts I'm beginning to realize what you actually want is a Peters.

No, seriously.

No, I take that seriously, and I've had similar thoughts, more than once. Of course, his amps are not only in a whole 'nuther league, tone-wise, but cash-wise too... :cry: Deservedly so, of course, but still... :doh:

Draelyc":2nefwiq1 said:
No, I take that seriously, and I've had similar thoughts, more than once. Of course, his amps are not only in a whole 'nuther league, tone-wise, but cash-wise too... :cry: Deservedly so, of course, but still... :doh:

You'd be able to ditch the boosts, I think, which would add a little to the pot. Something to think about it if Mrs. Draelyc wins bingo or something ;) :confused: .

modestmelody":1cf8tcj7 said:
Draelyc":1cf8tcj7 said:

You'd be able to ditch the boosts, I think, which would add a little to the pot. Something to think about it if Mrs. Draelyc wins bingo or something ;) :confused: .

Lol, indeed! :rock:

guitarslinger":3uyw98go said:

Amazing. Happened across this old thread & saw this post. Over six years later, and here I sit with a Bogner Shiva EL34 reverb head with a matching Bogner 1x12 cab, and I'm utterly delighted with my tone & have zero amp gas for the first time in ... well, ever. :D

Credit where credit is due -- thanks for the advice, brutha!

Cool stuff out of the shop Ed. Probably the distractions that really slow down the projects. Maybe a pheasant feather pattern with rainbow anodizing on the next one.

Take care, Craig

Back