Painted Recto diamond plate?

D-Rock

Anyone done this? What kind of paint?
I'm considering buying a Single Rec. and painting the diamond plate black.

Some of the plates I see are more matte, but the blackface dual revision F that I had last year was glossy.

recto_full_top-1.jpg

rectobros.jpg

The Blackface Triple I have is sort of a Satin type finish. Somewhat shiny, but mostly matte.

I have heard about people getting their Chrome plates powder coated.

Thosse blackface/Silver pannel Rectos look KILLER! I remember hearing the older ones came like that, is that right?

I'd like to see a XXX with the treadplate, probably my least favourite thing about the XXXs is the aesthetics.

As for paint type, I'd go for a car paint, itll be thin and won't leave it completely matte, I have no experience with car paints/painting but I know there's a huge variety. I'm sure you can find thicker varieties of spray on paint that's more matte.

I assume you're buying a used Single Rec, otherwide you could order one custom with the black diamond. Another option is to carefully remove the old diamond plate which is secured with double sided tape. I hear you need to use a heat gun to melt the adhesive, but be careful as to not melt the Tolex. You can order a black plate from Mesa, supposedly for $100.

I was going to say get it powder coated but if mesa will sell you a black plate for $100 thats probably your best option

Thanks guys, I was considering getting it done by a local autobody shop. Might consider a special order from Mesa if it comes down to it.

Scuff it up with a scotch brite pad and hit it with some satin black Krylon. Put the other $290 in your pocket.

BoneSaw":3ak06mqv said:
Scuff it up with a scotch brite pad and hit it with some satin black Krylon. Put the other $290 in your pocket.
Meh, I've seen that done and that's exactly what it turns out looking like :no:

HMJ":35l2urgw said:
Filter500":35l2urgw said:
Make that $300. Just checked a thread on the boogie board from someone who called. I guess $100 was wishful/reasonable memory.

Some info threads:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.ph ... lack+plate

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.ph ... lack+plate

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.ph ... te#p325437
300= would be for the whole head shell ......... i ordered a black tread for my roadster and it was 100+some change!!

Good to hear.

Update us with what you decide to do. I go back and forth if I want to paint my Dual rec F, mine has the polished plate with the chrome chassis and I like that, but the blackfaces do look killer.

Remove the logo, scuff it up with scotch brite, clean it with something to remove any grease, paint it. The best way to do it is remove the diamond plate using a heat gun to paint it, but you have to be real careful not to burn or melt the tolex. The diamond plate is held on with double sided tape.
Jerry

mesablack_800.JPG

BrokenFusion":2e42qa0t said:

^^^ This. Except use Rustoleum 2x semi gloss black. It'll look satin but wont take on the oils/fingerprints.

Back