Boss NS2 or MXR Smart gate?

hthomas

Which should I go with? I run all my pedals infront of my EVH 5150iii head. I want it completely silent. is that even possible?

whichever one i get, should I run it in the loop or in front of the amp?

Smartgate. and put it in the loop, most of your drive will be from the preamp no doubt.

I own an NS2.. it chops off notes where it's not needed and needs to be run on a high setting with very little decay to do stop/start riffs with enough power.

Also, you get this muffled 'wooshing' unless the decay is set very low when you stop playing on a high gain setting doing riffs.

The Boss NS-2 is crap, IMO. Some people swear by them, and there was a point where I would've, but that was before I got an ISP Decimator instead. I would suggest spending a bit more on the ISP Decimator G-String, and never looking back. However, I've never had any experience with the MXR Smartgate, but that's a bit different than a suppressor.

might as well go all the way and get an ISP Decimator

Much better tonally than the other two... pretty much 0 tone sucking, that is, if you don't have it set like an idiot

Decimator, you won't be sorry. One knob, works like it should. Won't even know it's there unless you turn it off.

save up for an ISP decimator prorack G if you want something perfect. I can barely tell my amp is on until i play and doesnt fuck the tone at all.

I run my NS-2 in the X hookup method with my JSX and it works awesomely. No tone suck or chopped off notes.

I use an ISP Decimator with my other rig, and it is very transparent and works great too, but it chops off sustained notes way more than my NS-2.

Death by Uberschall":199i34oy said:
D-Rock":199i34oy said:
I use an ISP Decimator with my other rig, and it is very transparent and works great too, but it chops off sustained notes way more than my NS-2.
Back off the setting a little.
Yeah I do, its at 12:00, but then I get that short trail of noise after I mute before it clamps.
The Decimator works perfect otherwise. It's not like I play a bunch of sustaining notes anyways.

Back