Switch to full style
John Suhr from Suhr Guitars discusses all things Suhr!
Post a reply

Suhr Reactive Load Volume Worries

Tue, Sep 13, 2016 1:08pm

I have a Marshall 1962HW and Suhr SL67 incoming and am planning on running it into a RL at home. Are there any concerns with cranking these amps into the RL? Does the RL have an limitations as far as how much "volume" you can pump into it? Overheating?

Re: Suhr Reactive Load Volume Worries

Wed, Dec 13, 2017 5:48pm

Bumping this as I'd love some feedback on the OP's question.

I understand the SRL can accept 100w max (per the manual), but I'd love to run a Diezel Herbert (180w) into this. Am I playing with fire or could I assume half volume wouldn't blow things up?

Re: Suhr Reactive Load Volume Worries

Wed, Dec 13, 2017 7:06pm

You should have no issue. Its a 50 watt head and the rl is rated for 100 watts.

Re: Suhr Reactive Load Volume Worries

Sat, Jan 13, 2018 7:50am

Meeotch wrote:Bumping this as I'd love some feedback on the OP's question.

I understand the SRL can accept 100w max (per the manual), but I'd love to run a Diezel Herbert (180w) into this. Am I playing with fire or could I assume half volume wouldn't blow things up?



I have Diezel Herbert and suhr reactive load, 12 o’clock is ok I did even 13(not for long time). Everything is good, SRL gets hot but not as hot as I would though. You don’t need to crank Herbert master volume that far, it’s sounds good at lower volumes, Herbert’s monster wattage is not about to be loudest, it is for having cleaner tight power section, when you play 7-8-9 string guitar, or low tunings.

I’ve tried to crank master volume with 412 diezel cab at rehearsal, I think after 12 drummer would not hear himself.

Re: Suhr Reactive Load Volume Worries

Sat, Jan 13, 2018 8:37am

I had some issues with the SL67. If I ran it full power with the volumes up around 1 or 2 o'clock, it was blowing fuses. Obviously that's really loud, but that's where this amp shines. In the end I returned the SL67 and now am using a Friedman BE100 with the SRL and it sounds killer!

Re: Suhr Reactive Load Volume Worries

Sat, Jan 13, 2018 11:30am

Thanks belensky, I just got my Herbert so I will give it a try soon.

Re: Suhr Reactive Load Volume Worries

Sat, Jan 13, 2018 12:07pm

When I’m practicing, with Herbert plugged to SRL I don’t crank Herbert at all, same Volume as I would play at my apartment with 412 cab(3-5 wats), cranked volume kill your power tubes faster. I turn DI level on SRL on max and sensetivity on my audio interface be lound but not clipping.

Re: Suhr Reactive Load Volume Worries

Sat, Jan 13, 2018 12:40pm

belensky wrote:When I’m practicing, with Herbert plugged to SRL I don’t crank Herbert at all, same Volume as I would play at my apartment with 412 cab(3-5 wats), cranked volume kill your power tubes faster. I turn DI level on SRL on max and sensetivity on my audio interface be lound but not clipping.


I just started doing this too (got the idea from errlllllll) and am getting much better tones from my SRL this way.

Re: Suhr Reactive Load Volume Worries

Sat, Jan 13, 2018 9:31pm

Edit321 wrote:I have a Marshall 1962HW and Suhr SL67 incoming and am planning on running it into a RL at home. Are there any concerns with cranking these amps into the RL? Does the RL have an limitations as far as how much "volume" you can pump into it? Overheating?
Shouldn't be an issue at all...however, you can either call Suhr directly or post the same question at TGP and John will literally answer the question himself. ;)

Re: Suhr Reactive Load Volume Worries

Wed, Apr 11, 2018 2:54am

Meeotch wrote:Bumping this as I'd love some feedback on the OP's question.

I understand the SRL can accept 100w max (per the manual), but I'd love to run a Diezel Herbert (180w) into this. Am I playing with fire or could I assume half volume wouldn't blow things up?

I use the Suhr Reactive Load with my Herbert with the channels volume at approximately 10-11 o’clock and the Master set on 8:30-9 o’clock. I don’t feel I gain anything above this when recording.
Post a reply