SL67 - Fuses Blown

Edit321

I was playing my SL67 last night and the amp all of a sudden went from sounding glorious to fizzling out and dying. No power! First thing I did was check the fuses and it looks like the 2 amp fuse is blown. The 0.5 amp fuses seems fine. As well, the EL34 tubes seem fine. I will pick up a a new fuses today as well as a couple of spares.

So this experience has me asking a few questions. Firstly, I am running the amp into a Suhr Reactive Load into the Line In of a Two Notes Torpedo Live for impulses only. The Amp was in full 50 Watt power with the volume at 12 o'clock. Up until now (I have had this brand new amp, a little over a week), I have been using it in low power, 20 Watt Variac mode and even did a show with it Monday night in this way with the volume at around 2 o'clock. Last night was the first time that I had been playing it in 50 Watts for an extended period of time. So my first question is, am I running it to loud in 50 watts?? Or even the way that I was running it in 20 Watts? I wouldn't think so! Also last night, I was running a JHS Andy Timmons pedal into it to get an over the top lead sound right before the amp died. Does it matter that I am slamming the front of the amp with it cranked to 12 o'clock? Again, I wouldn't think so. Up until last night I had been using a Bondi Sick As into the front end to slightly boost and tighten up the already broken up sound of the amp.

So going forward I am a little uneasy about using it for the two shows that I have this weekend. The fact that fuse blown, is that an indication that the power tubes may fail? From what I read, the fuses are there to protect the power tubes from blowing. Any experience/opinions or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

If it blows another fuse then don't just keep putting new fuses in. You could pull the power tubes and try another but after that just stop and get it to a tech.

Hey I just recieved a Suhr sl67 for Xmas
I am also loading it into a two notes torpedo live
And I am also blowing fuses
How did you go resolving this issue
Thanks Steve

I no longer have the amp. I sent it back. Great amp though! I was loading mine into a Suhr Reactive Load. I suspect your issues is the same. My issue was that when running it in full power and having the master at around 2 o'clock was causing the fuses to blow. Seems like it was too much for the amp to handle and it was about to pop the power tubes. Instead the fuses did what they were suppose to and blew; protecting the power tubes. Anything below 12 o'clock was fine. I could play all day. In Variac mode I was able to run the master at 2 o'clock, without issues.

Back