Splawn Nitro

eljodon

Splawn Nitro features: 120 watts,(4) KT88, (4)12AX7 tubes,series Effects Loop with true bypass switch,Level switch(+4 db, -10db), Effects level,half power switch. OD Channel-Gain, Volume, Solo, Treble. Mids, Bass, Presence, Resonance. Clean Channel-Gain, Volume, Treble,Bass. Foot Switch- Clean, OD1, OD2, Solo. How does it sound? I was very exited for the amp to arrived, I heard many of the youtube videos and I really liked what I heard. I used 3 different cabinets, a Marshall 1960B with Celestion V30's, another Marshall 1960B with Scumbacks H75's and a custom 2 x 12 cabinet with Celestion 25 watts "Green Backs".For guitars I used my Les Paul standard with 57 classic pick ups, acustome made Strat with Joe Barden pick ups, a 57 Reissue Strat with Kinman pick ups and a Shecter Hellriser 7 string guitar with EMG active pick ups. This amp did not impressed me at all,it's very dark sounding and the mids are overly pronounced( around 450Hz to 600 Hz), I had to turn the mid control down to about 3 to make it half decent. The Treble control works in a weird way as you turn it up it sounds bright but the mids get's scooped, as you turn it to around 3 the high mids gets increased( around 2k). The Bass control barely does anything. The Presence control is voiced weird and the Resonane controll is useless. The amp does have a lot of gain which works ok for leads. I was able to make the amp sound ok with a 10 band Boss eq on the effects loop by cutting 500Hz by - .5 db, 1 khz by - 2 db, 2 khz by -2 db. I tried recording it in my studio using a Shure 57 and a Royer 121 Ribbon mic using a TG2 preamp, SSL X Rack compressor and EQ. I usually don't like using eq when I record my guitars and and instead prefer moving the mic's around until it sounds the way I like it, but I still had to cut 1 khz and 2 khz. I used a Aracom attenuator to try to get the power amp section working and it sounded ok. I got he best results with my 2 x 12 custom cabinet with Celestion 25 watt greenbacks since the are more scooped that my other Celestion speakers. Using the foot switch there was not much difference between OD 1 or OD2. OD 1 seemed a bit brighter giving my guitar a bit of a twang and OD 2 seemed slightly more overdriven. The Clean channel is also useless even when using my 57 Strat. Conclusion. I'll probably sell the amp, my 87' Marshall JCM800 2204 gets a beter tone than the Splawn with a OD pedal. I also have a Marsha HBE/BE smokes this amp and also my custome Marshall amp that was built for me. Maybe I got a bad amp since the ones I heard on youtube sounded way better. I've been playing guitar professionaly for over 30 years and I've own many amps, but the Splawn Nitro did not impressed me at all!

You must have a bad amp or component. This is not characteristic of the Nitro at ALL. Call Scott directly and he'll help you.

Thanks for your reply Race, maybe you're right! I tried changing the preamp tubes with no luck. I had a Budda Superdrive 45 with KT 77 it it sounded very nice.There has to be something wrong with it! I just don't like the eq voicings at all. I used a Peavey 5150 and the Resonance knob was more effective than the Splawn.I'll call Scott after the new year and see what he suggest.I just need a heavy sounding amp. I'm going to try the Soldano Hot Rod 100 that has a Depth control. I heard it on youtube and I like the nice grinding tone they have.

I too liked the Splawn Nitro in the clips I watched. Bought one when they 1st came out. Think mine was #7?
Had KT-77's in it. I wanted to like the amp....but just couldnt gel with it. :aww:

I agree Mailman1971, I was able to make it sound nice with an old Boss 10 band eq(the on VH used) and I was able to notched out the offending frequencies. I tried it again and lowering 500 Hz by -1 db, 1 kHz by -4 db( the mmost offending frequency) and 2 kHz by -3 to 1 4 db, then I boosted 16 kHz by 1.5 db,8 kHz by 1 db and I was able to get really close to were I like it, but I want an amp that sounds good with out ading stuff! The amp lacks highs(at least mine) and the mids are offensive. It reminds me of a 80's Laney amp! I thought Scott was also not very helpful, I sent him and email asking him about preamp tubes and also the value he uses for biasing the amp to change the KT 88's to EL 34's and never heard from him. The amp was supposed to be done in 2 weeks and it took 5 weeks. He kept telling me that it will be shipped at a certain date and a day or 2 would pass and no tracking #! This happened 3 times until he finally told me that due to the Sandy Hurricane the KT88 power tubes hasn't been shiipped.I'm a very understanding person, but I never experienced anything like that and I've been buying amps for 30 years.I heard the opposite from other people. Well waht can you do. I'm shopping again for a nice Metal/Modern amp. I'm looking at ENGL Savage, Soldano Hot Rod 100 plus,etc to replace it. They're more expensive, but I need one for my studio ASAP!

Thanks Mailman1971, I'll checkit out, I can get one cheap and have enough money leftover for the Mod. The ENGL are so expensive and also the Soldanos. Could I get a Roadster instead of a Dual Recto? I had one before and I sold it because it was so temperamental. One day it sounded great and the next day, like crap! But I didn't like the lead tone that much, but the rhythm tone was great on a good day! LOL

Holy sh....! I checked it out and you're right man! Lots bottom too! Time to sell my Splawn! I think I'll go for the Roadster since it's more flexible! Thanks!

eljodon":31aqsbgk said:
Holy sh....! I checked it out and you're right man! Lots bottom too! Time to sell my Splawn! I think I'll go for the Roadster since it's more flexible! Thanks!
Cool man...Never had a Roadster....
Here is another cheap alternative.... :rock:
Waaaaaaay less then a grand. about $700.....but would crush any 2k modded amp out there for sure. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=129022

Thanks, Mailman1971, sounds nice, I don't mind spending money on a good amp, I just need to think what I need to do. I like the Mesa Boogie Roadster which I had awhile ago but I sold because some days it sounded good and some days it sounded muddy. What I liked about it that it had 4 independent channels but the clean channel sounded nasty and FJA also has a clean channel mod. I have a Groove Tube Soul o 75 and the clean channel sounds incredible. It also has a great dirty channel. I write for TV and I own many different amps for different styles and I just need a good Metal amp. I've been using my Marsha Friedman BE/HBE/ with Sat, C45 and Fat switch but I use a Furman PEQ 3 and different type of distortion pedals to give it a heavier sound. I want and amp that needs minimal stuff to sounds heavy.The Marsha is incredible but is an 80's type of amp.

I got a Nitro about 7 months ago, at first I loved it. I had a Triple Rec and the cleans on it were killing me, then I got the Nitro and I was actually very impressed with the cleans on it. I added a little reverb and it was one of the nicest I'd had.
I do agree that OD1 and OD2 and so lacking in difference there is barely any point in having them. I find I use a TS-808 on the clean to give me something different.
Mine has the KT88s too as I was told it would give me that darker, heavy sound...I was going for a killswitch engage tone (they used Nitros at one point) and although again, at first I was very impressed with the sound, it has started to loose the magic. Partly because it took a crap last week and fried my power tubes and partly because I got a Diezel Einstein which delivers an OD that I can actually feel and is much more responsive to my playing. I do prefer the clean on the nitro still, but I can tweak the Diezel so I like it as much.
So I'm finding the splawn is falling out of favour with me too....I haven't tried to record with it yet, so I'll see how that goes, but I did just see the new Randall Thrasher at NAMM and that is one serious amp, designed by Mike Fortin....I'm thinking that will be my splawn replacement!

Metalplums":1lxb6bkp said:
I got a Nitro about 7 months ago, at first I loved it. I had a Triple Rec and the cleans on it were killing me, then I got the Nitro and I was actually very impressed with the cleans on it. I added a little reverb and it was one of the nicest I'd had.
I do agree that OD1 and OD2 and so lacking in difference there is barely any point in having them. I find I use a TS-808 on the clean to give me something different.
Mine has the KT88s too as I was told it would give me that darker, heavy sound...I was going for a killswitch engage tone (they used Nitros at one point) and although again, at first I was very impressed with the sound, it has started to loose the magic. Partly because it took a crap last week and fried my power tubes and partly because I got a Diezel Einstein which delivers an OD that I can actually feel and is much more responsive to my playing. I do prefer the clean on the nitro still, but I can tweak the Diezel so I like it as much.
So I'm finding the splawn is falling out of favour with me too....I haven't tried to record with it yet, so I'll see how that goes, but I did just see the new Randall Thrasher at NAMM and that is one serious amp, designed by Mike Fortin....I'm thinking that will be my splawn replacement!
I'm getting my Splawn Nitro modded by FJA just to save my investment, Jerry told me that they changed the tone circuit and they're also using cheaper parts.The mid were also changed. I was thinking I was crazy and maybe I was missing something but my ears were correct! The new ones are different than the old ones. I sent Scott 2 emails and he never returned them. Maybe he didn't get them so I'll won't hold that against him. I felt that if they didn't get it right the first time, I'll just give it to Jerry since I loved the clips. I don'y care about the warranty if the amps sounds like shit! The Splawn competition clips are incredible. So I'm getting the Nick mod and I'm looking forward to see if Jerry can save my investment and by the reviews I read and the clips I heard I think I made the right move! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one !

I converted my Nitro to KT88's for a while but there was just a silly amount of gain and bottom end on tap. Switched it back to EL34'S and it's been one of my main amps ever since. I usually run the Nitro side by side with a Quick Rod and cabs with Small Blocks.

You ran a 120W head into a cab rated at 50W? (Your custom 2x12 with Greenbacks...)

I know that Splawn changed from Heyboer trannies to the ClassicTones. Even though the ClassicTones are cheaper, in the reviews I am seeing of them they are right up there with MM and H. Some people actually prefer them. Did any other changes occur with the circuit? Did Jerry primarily mean the tranny change or are there other components that have been cheapened and can be cause for concern?

I swear by my 2005 3 preamp tube Quickrod. Not only does it bury just about every amp I compare it to, but it is always the amp everyone in my studio ends up choosing and the main amp for tracking.
I purchased a 2012 Quickrod to have as backup/blend amp since I heard the voicing was different and had the volume knob on the effects loop to tame the volume down a tad. Anyway long story short, don't get me wrong I am a HUGE SPLAWN fanboy, but the new ones sound cheap and when cranked using drop tunings it loses any note definition/character similar to a Bugera with cheap transformers and parts. Boosting it doesn't help either. Just makes it really grainy and fizzy. Not sure whats going on with the new ones, but he needs to go back to making quality boutique amps. And don't even bother with using the Valve Art bottom of the selection barrel EL34 tubes that are in them. If you do make sure you go to Radio Shack and get a pack of fuses. One or more will go nuclear and blow the fuse. Buy a Quad of Ruby EL34BHT tubes and call it a day. Had a quad last for three years of constant use. If he has to bump the cost up to $2250.00 then so be it, but the new ones fall short of the original ones. Splawns have gone from boutique to falling into the mix with all the other mass produced amps.
Again I love my Quickrod and hate to speak badly about the amps, but he needs to go back to the 3 preamp model, circuit, transformers, etc. You know the ones you turn up and it kills small animals in a mile radius from the massive wall of sound. Or buy a factory in Mexico and mass produce them to compete with Peavey.

The older Splawns spank the new ones. The Heyboer trannys make a huge difference in the tightness and tone. Now the Spawns are as loose as an unmodded Jet City. I've had 3 Quickrods and a Nitro. I will say my 3 pre Quickrod killed any of my other Splawns. The thing was freaking loud too. I don't know what Scott changed over the years, but whatever he did made them terrible. My latest one was a 2013 Quickrod I bought as a back up to the 2005. Didn't even sound like the same brand. Fizzy, fuzzy, buzzy, loose tone. Even boosting it with an Maxon 808 didn't work. Just wasn't an amp I could even work with at all. Just sounded cheap with no sack. I was a huge Splawn fan, but I guess every good thing comes to an end.

Back