ISP Decimator ProRack G (Stereo Mod)

glpg80

ISP Decimator ProG w/Stereo Mod

Features

on the back of the unit there is the normal input/output 1/4" jacks, 1 pair for each channel. with the Pro G model there are also 2 more 1/4" jacks on the far left used for signal tracking of your input signal. on the front of the unit there is independent controls for each channel.

there is filter tracking control with a very small knob on the left side of each channel. used for the time vector processor, from what i have used with the unit so far, it controls the signal inside the unit and how the unit responds in attack and how much control is actually allowed by the noise gate vector processor. set too high it can rob tone and start to cut out the guitar signal and noise both. it seems to be a setting for how far behind the noise gate follows you. faster rhythms would want a higher setting, slow decadent players and searing solos would probably like this set lower or off. it has nothing to do with the actual noise gating, but the control of the vector processor itself. i tend to leave it at its lowest setting of -20, as i can tell a difference in the clarity of notes when doing a solo or any long runs below the 12th fret.

next is the in/out bypassing control of each channel. it has a little of a pop on my unit when going back in forth with the effects loop of the amplifier. but it is extremely hard to notice the unit once it is set properly to your liking. the buttons feel a little cheap and are not the most durable contruction.

the threshold controls are the largest controls for each channel, and have independent LED gain reduction indicators to let you know when it is working and when it is bypassing on the fly in real time which is pretty cool. the lower the threshold the more obvious the processing of the unit is audible in cutting out noise. the higher the setting the more gain reduction you get and the less you hear the actual processor cutting out noise, but the more tone you lose at the larger settings. i have found this can actually be used for shaping the gain of the amplifier itself, but can also rob you of your low-end if set too high. i lost the punchiness of my amplifier in its capability to "breath" with the cabinet when i had it set where i like it. the unit does let the amplifier breathe and it is still amazing, but it is still a reduction. if i had to rate the low end loss, i would rate it at a 1.5 out of 10, 10 being the worst. what i tend to do is leave the vector processing all the way down, and then cutting the amplifier to extreme volumes and setting the unit there with the threshhold, the backing the threshold down a hair or two. thats where i find i like it most without too much interference from any perspectives while also doing an excellent job of being transparent when playing.

the LED's are bright enough to be seen across a stage without any problems. the unit is very light, and very well made.

i dont like the large adapter that the unit comes with. it is quite bulky but is required. just a small neusance i believe. i rate the unit a 10/10 in features and ability to control the unit effectively.

Sound

extremely tight when it needs to be, and extremely loose when you want it to be. you can do all harmonics, tapping tricks, tapped harmonics, artificial harmonics, and very tight palm mutes without buzz, hum, or interference. it works great as a set it and forget it unit. i had no problems on all three of my channels. i purchased the unit for LIVE use and for band practice volumes. as long as the unit is set properly there wont be any problems at all. i was amazed at how well it tracks your signal and applies the envelope and gating algorithms. definately no worries for anyone who wants a no gimmic real deal noise gate that does not rob your tone and at the same time can actually benefit at higher volumes or in recording perspectives. i rate the unit a 9/10 for sound quality. the small stuff my amp does live is why i still own it. the noise gate tampers with this, but at the same time reduces noise tremendously at higher volumes, ESPECIALLY when effects are used which is exactly what it is supposed to do. its an even trade off i guess.

Reliability & Durability

i would rate it a 9/10. i dont like the feeling of some of the small buttons. other knobs like the filter tracking which is very small and the threshold controls feel rock solid though. the bypass buttons feels very cheap and with commercial use im not sure i could trust it 110% like i do some of my other gear. still a well made unit. very thick front steel mounting plate.

Impression

in recording the unit would be idealy 100% transparent, but live i CAN tell a difference in the low end of the amplifier. it is extremely transparent and does the job effectively. im sure most people wouldnt mind just turning their low end up. i love the ability to control the unit in all aspects and not just one knob. i also love how high quality and how effective it reduces noise at higher volumes. the ability to do harmonics, horsies, and feedback with the amplifier without any intereference makes this unit a wise and very helpful investment. i like it in the loop, and also out of the loop. for lower volume stuff i think i prefer it out of the signal chain which is easy to do with just the push of a button. 9/10

Good review it answered most of the questions I had in regards to possibly using one..
I was looking at them last weekend in Sam Ash and Guitar Center..

Have you owned any other Noise gates or suppressors to compare this with??

Back in the day I used the Rocktron Compressor/Limiter Hush unit that everyone else pretty much used..
If it wasn't for the Compressor, the noise gate would have squashed a lot of my sound but there was still compromises made with using it..

i think there are comprimises with all noise gates. the ISP decimator is supposed to be the be all end all noise gate, but to be honest the best noise gate i have is proper cabling, proper soldering on all of my cables, and preventing ground loops - that is - not connecting each piece of gear together in series in regerence of AC ground, and giving each unit a proper ground connection to terminate at, or at very worse a parallel ground connection.

that with power conditioners and common sense will do more than this unit can do at $350 i believe.

Great reveiw! I'm thinking about getting one but they are'nt cheap. Nothing thats good is cheap though.

gbsmusic":3o8tk22u said:
Great reveiw! I'm thinking about getting one but they are'nt cheap. Nothing thats good is cheap though.

I own one, wish I would have opted for the stereo version now that I am going with a two amp rig. (live and learn) I owned a hush unit previously, (made by the same folks) and that technology while great for the time, in my opinion is less far less transparent than the ProRack G. In fact, its so quiet, that sometimes I forget when I have the volume on my guitar up and all of a sudden, (KA-CHANG!!!!) and scare the shit outta myself at high volumes. :LOL: :LOL:

if you want the most quiet and least colorization noise limitation unit, get one and you'll agree that its worth every penny. :rock:

Jimmie

Here's my $.02

I've got one of these (mine is not the stereo mod). Yes, it is the best noise reduction available, but still it's not perfect.

I can't seem to make any use of the second channel, as soon as I start turning the knob up it squashes the signal.

Umm, this is the first piece of equipment in the signal chain after your guitar, why the f@ck is the input on the back side of it? To me, this means an extra two feet of instrument cable picking up more unwanted signals.

No, I cannot just set the threshold and have it work perfectly for all channels on my amp. I'm playin' with an EMG-81 into an ENGL 570 pre. If I set the threshold for high gain, then switch to the clean channel, it cuts my notes off prematurely when playing the clean channel. It will somewhat kill the sustain on the high gain channel as well. This thing needs a footswitch, or better yet, have it midi programmable so I can turn it off while playing, you only need it for stops anyways.

As mentioned above, yes it does color your tone ever so slightly but it's nothing that can't be easily EQ'd.

I've got the pedal Decimator too, and I'm seriously considering using it with my rack. I haven't A/B'd them yet to see if the ProRack G is any better at the actual noise reduction, I guess that filter tracking knob helps a little bit.

boltzthrower":3fljt6v2 said:
Here's my $.02

I've got one of these (mine is not the stereo mod). Yes, it is the best noise reduction available, but still it's not perfect.

I can't seem to make any use of the second channel, as soon as I start turning the knob up it squashes the signal.

Umm, this is the first piece of equipment in the signal chain after your guitar, why the f@ck is the input on the back side of it? To me, this means an extra two feet of instrument cable picking up more unwanted signals.

No, I cannot just set the threshold and have it work perfectly for all channels on my amp. I'm playin' with an EMG-81 into an ENGL 570 pre. If I set the threshold for high gain, then switch to the clean channel, it cuts my notes off prematurely when playing the clean channel. It will somewhat kill the sustain on the high gain channel as well. This thing needs a footswitch, or better yet, have it midi programmable so I can turn it off while playing, you only need it for stops anyways.

As mentioned above, yes it does color your tone ever so slightly but it's nothing that can't be easily EQ'd.

I've got the pedal Decimator too, and I'm seriously considering using it with my rack. I haven't A/B'd them yet to see if the ProRack G is any better at the actual noise reduction, I guess that filter tracking knob helps a little bit.

please create your own review, the models you are talking about are not the same and each will have much larger differences. i did my best to write this review as accurately as possible and i dont appreciate your false information.

first off, the stereo mod fixes your complaint about it cutting off your notes.

secondly, an extra 2 feet of cable isnt going to hurt you. the cable itself and its quality would be more of an issue than this, or where you stand in relation to your amplifier in the first place. i actually like the fact its in the back - keeps all the cable crud in the back so im not tripping over it, or its all over my knobs of my amplifier.

this model is not the same as yours - the stereo modification is done at the factory and allows your guitar input (which is also on the back) to help track the envelope processor much more effeciently which is where yours falls short. this leaves the other inputs to be used separately with each other like a left and right control, hence "the stereo mod"

i agree they have limits, but the high quality they claim isnt high enough for me. it would be excellent and highly needed in the studio, but its purpose anywhere else i feel there is nothing proper cabling, watching ground loops, and proper wiring cant fix to begin with.

glpg80":2ym7k9ww said:
please create your own review, the models you are talking about are not the same and each will have much larger differences. i did my best to write this review as accurately as possible and i dont appreciate your false information.

first off, the stereo mod fixes your complaint about it cutting off your notes.

secondly, an extra 2 feet of cable isnt going to hurt you. the cable itself and its quality would be more of an issue than this, or where you stand in relation to your amplifier in the first place. i actually like the fact its in the back - keeps all the cable crud in the back so im not tripping over it, or its all over my knobs of my amplifier.

this model is not the same as yours - the stereo modification is done at the factory and allows your guitar input (which is also on the back) to help track the envelope processor much more effeciently which is where yours falls short. this leaves the other inputs to be used separately with each other like a left and right control, hence "the stereo mod"

Yeah, I don't have the stereo mod, like I said. The stereo mod is for using with a stereo rig, that's it. It DOES NOT add any additional noise reduction, as you seem to suggest.

The regular ProRackG(non-stereo mod) utilizes the effects loop of your amp to track the signal between pre and power amp. With a head, that's the only way to effect a post-pre signal, that is, with the effects loop.

The stereo mod does the same thing but will feed a stereo power amp.

If you don't belive me, then get it straight from the horse's mouth. http://www.gtrgear.com/ISP/DECIMATORTEC ... PRIMER.pdf

Back