monster or mogami or up there with them?

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to spend that kind of money on audio cables. There is a lot of meaningless hype regarding audio cables designed solely to extract more cash from unsuspecting consumers. FI, a ~$60 50' cable/10 plug Planet Waves Cable Station package will actually provide you better performance than much more expensive cables, particularity with regard to signal degradation over distance. To understand what makes a cable perform well, you have to know the relevant aspects. Those aspects are essentially: build quality, noise rejection, static dissipation, handling noise, capacitance value per foot, phase angle and velocity. A PWCS cable package is the best value I know of. It covers all aspects more than adequately with the bonus feature of solderless plugs. It has a very low ~19pF/foot capacitance rating which means you can use more of it than most other cables before your first preamp stage with less signal loss. Any potential affect of phase angle or velocity in a passive guitar circuit is made irrelevant by the affect of capacitance, and would only be of concern for cable runs generally exceeding ~100' in active circuitry. Speaker wire has other specific requirements for maximum performance, but high cost is certainly not one of them.

Sure thing, man. As well, your guitar tone will be much more consistent/predictable if you keep one preamp/pedal on at the front of the signal path. Otherwise, the capacitance of all the patch cables will sum and change the tone. That change will be more extreme for lower inductance pickups & pickup combos.

Are there any kits like that for speaker cables? I know you can just make your own but what's up with the phone cord thing?

Speaker cable is much less important. Nothing special is required, but it need be thick enough not to heat up from the wattage run through it -- unshielded is better in that case. The total DC R should be no more than ~1/10th the speaker ohm value for full 20kHz response -- not a difficult thing to achieve. 16 gauge lamp chord should be fine for up to ~100' lengths.

To be honest, I compared my Mogami, Monsters, Planet Waves to my 1980's Whirlwind cable ..... I heard no difference at all !!!!

Back