Planet Tone Pickups

dogman

Edit: The pickups are called Full Throttle

First off I just gotta say I feel the need to do a review of these Planet Tone Full Throttle pickups I decided to try on a whim.

I was looking for a new set of pickups to try in my 72 custom. As with all the pickups in all my les pauls they're either BK Rebel Yells or WCR Godwoods and they all sound great. I go for that organic open, cihmey & airy hot PAF tone that screams when you push them and cleans up extremely well when you roll off the volume.

So, I was looking for something similar to what Im use to but a tad more beefier while still retaining the growl and cleaning up. I heard about the Planet Tones and did some reading. After reading all the descriptions of the pickups they offer, the Full Throttles sounded exactly what I was looking for. A not so bright beefier hot paf with clarity and rich in harmonics. I saw the prices and immediately thought for 59.00 each they must suck and was ready to move on. I re read the descriptions of the Full Throttle set again and started thinking, man thats sounds exactly what hot paf's should sound like. 8.8 for the neck & 10.9 for the bridge and they're wound to order so I said what the hell for 2/3rd's the price of 1 BKP I'll try a set of these.

I ordered the Full Throttle set. I picked my bobbin colors (zebra- black outside cream in). 9 days later they are on my door step.
It was quite a big package for just a set of pickups. I open it up and to my surprise there's a Planet Tones T shirt and a box with the pickups in it. Cool.
I open the package and when I tell you I have never seen such professional vacuum packed hardware and directions along with wax paper wrapped individual pickups I was astonished. It was freakin amazing at how well everything is presented in the box I almost didnt want to unwrap anything haha.

Fast forward. I rip out the Godwoods and put these bad boys in. They measure 8.9 in the neck and 11.1 in bridge. As I plug in the Cameron and crank it up Im thinking if these things sound half as good as they came wrapped for shipping it would be a plus.

HOLY MOSES these fucking things sound incredible. I am totally blown away at how great they sound. Big, thick and creamy with clarity & sustain you only dream about. Beefy without being muddy while still having that chimey openness you would expect from a good high end pickup.
I am totally blown away at how great these pickups sound and a full set for 116.00 shipped with a T shirt to boot, where the hell have these things been all my life!!

Sorry for the rant but I am so amazed at how good these pickups sound I had to put it out there.
Stay tuned for the mass sale in the member classifieds, I'll be putting up 3 sets of WCR's and 3 sets of BKP's because I'll be putting these in all my guitars.

Hats off to Planet Tone for doing what their mission statement says: The best pickups you can buy at a price the working musician can afford.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Back