Be100 tube set

Beandust

Please educate me on the best tubes for this amp..brand,seller etc...thank you..I'm looking to retube very soon

Beandust":3taqzbtx said:
Please educate me on the best tubes for this amp..brand,seller etc...thank you..I'm looking to retube very soon

A lot of people (Dave himself) recommend Valve Queen. I personally have no dealings, but have seen a lot of good reviews, and my next purchase will be through her.

I think the BE's are coming out with Ruby, or TAD EL34BSTR power tubes. If someone knows for sure correct me. If yours came with JJEL34s there will be a rating on the top (If from ARS). Tell them what it is when you order new tubes and they should be able to get a set of tubes that match close. You still might have to adjust the bias.

Preamp I have seen several different combinations stock. Tungsol in fist and second position, and Chinese in 3 and 4. In other words if you are looking at the back of the amp, from left to right 1,2,3,4 then power tubes. I've seen Ruby 12ax7 AC5 HG+ for #3 and Ruby 12ax7 AC5 HG or + for PI. Make sure to specify low microphonics for #2 and balanced for #4 (PI). I think now they are coming out with JJ in 1 and 2. So it's up to you if you prefer one over the other, then still the Ruby's for 3 and 4. I have tried JJ, TAD, and EH6ca7 power tubes, and finally stayed with the Electro Harmonix, I didn't like them at first, but they grew on me. It's all personal preference. Hope this helps!

HilltopExplosion":3ontdzbb said:
Beandust":3ontdzbb said:

A lot of people (Dave himself) recommend Valve Queen. I personally have no dealings, but have seen a lot of good reviews, and my next purchase will be through her.
I think the BE's are coming out with Ruby, or TAD EL34BSTR power tubes. If someone knows for sure correct me. If yours came with JJEL34s there will be a rating on the top (If from ARS). Tell them what it is when you order new tubes and they should be able to get a set of tubes that match close. You still might have to adjust the bias.

Preamp I have seen several different combinations stock. Tungsol in fist and second position, and Chinese in 3 and 4. In other words if you are looking at the back of the amp, from left to right 1,2,3,4 then power tubes. I've seen Ruby 12ax7 AC5 HG+ for #3 and Ruby 12ax7 AC5 HG or + for PI. Make sure to specify low microphonics for #2 and balanced for #4 (PI). I think now they are coming out with JJ in 1 and 2. So it's up to you if you prefer one over the other, then still the Ruby's for 3 and 4. I have tried JJ, TAD, and EH6ca7 power tubes, and finally stayed with the Electro Harmonix, I didn't like them at first, but they grew on me. It's all personal preference. Hope this helps!
Very usefull info,thank you!! I plan to bias so I wanted to order matched and go from there..the layout will help when I get the order.Thank you for that info,I had seen the TAD was a heavy favorite,wondering if the mallards or something else were a decent option,I didn't have much luck with the electros you mentioned either.thank you for the good information

Beandust":1r7goitc said:
HilltopExplosion":1r7goitc said:
Beandust":1r7goitc said:

Very usefull info,thank you!! I plan to bias so I wanted to order matched and go from there..the layout will help when I get the order.Thank you for that info,I had seen the TAD was a heavy favorite,wondering if the mallards or something else were a decent option,I didn't have much luck with the electros you mentioned either.thank you for the good information

:thumbsup: No problem

You mentioned Tungsol" in positions 1 and 2 and Chinese in position 3 and 4", I had seen a write up on how the Friedman and other marshall based high gain amps really benefited from the Chinese 12ax7s....So I guess it's all personal preference,I have tried jjs,rubys,sovtek,12ax7b chinese, wondering if anyone had reports of the genelax or the mullard 12ax7 making any impact..I like the stock ones,just not sure I can order those with the same quality as Friedman, Laura has good reviews on several forums,as you mentioned

Beandust":1okavgys said:
You mentioned Tungsol" in positions 1 and 2 and Chinese in position 3 and 4", I had seen a write up on how the Friedman and other marshall based high gain amps really benefited from the Chinese 12ax7s....So I guess it's all personal preference,I have tried jjs,rubys,sovtek,12ax7b chinese, wondering if anyone had reports of the genelax or the mullard 12ax7 making any impact..I like the stock ones,just not sure I can order those with the same quality as Friedman, Laura has good reviews on several forums,as you mentioned

I ordered a replacment set of JJ EL34's from Laura at Valve Queen and they have been the longest lasting and closest matched power tubes from any vender I've ever ordered from. Highly recommended!

Adambomb":2i7u4hs9 said:
Beandust":2i7u4hs9 said:

I ordered a replacment set of JJ EL34's from Laura at Valve Queen and they have been the longest lasting and closest matched power tubes from any vender I've ever ordered from. Highly recommended!
Thanks ABomb, i appreciate the helpful info!!!

ARS EL34's came stock in my early 2015 BE.

Dave told me they are moving to TAD EL34's now last time I picked my amp up from him. I'd love to try a set in mine.

RedPlated":2q2imm0a said:

Dave told me they are moving to TAD EL34's now last time I picked my amp up from him. I'd love to try a set in mine.
So your saying you like the TADs..? Ihad a couple 12ax7s that sounded damn good in another rig

Dave said the TAD EL34's are more open sounding and I agree. Only reason I had to switch back to my trust Valve Queen JJ's is cause one TAD redplated. But I liked the TAD's better, more open and more treble bite with maybe a little tighter bass.

Adambomb":puyt89pg said:
Dave said the TAD EL34's are more open sounding and I agree. Only reason I had to switch back to my trust Valve Queen JJ's is cause one TAD redplated. But I liked the TAD's better, more open and more treble bite with maybe a little tighter bass.
That's interesting and good to have that back up,Dave mentioned the switch to TADs i did see,mentioned they carried a lowered failure rate..? The smallbox and the BE100 both have the ARS tubes..I tried a pair of genelax kt77s in the smallbox,I tried out a tad in pre-1..sounded good!! .thanks :rock:

Man the failure rate is so low on the TAD's. I have had 2 fail in the field in like 500 sets. The same can not be said for the JJ's.

Beandust":2xt0o2zc said:
RedPlated":2xt0o2zc said:

So your saying you like the TADs..? Ihad a couple 12ax7s that sounded damn good in another rig

I've never tried the TAD's in my BE. I still have the original ARS's in it.

TAD's sounded great in my VH4. Can't imagine they wouldn't sound great in a BE.

RedPlated":22bym4ka said:
Beandust":22bym4ka said:
RedPlated":22bym4ka said:

Get some! You won't be dissapointed!

HilltopExplosion":2v3d1drd said:
RedPlated":2v3d1drd said:
Beandust":2v3d1drd said:
RedPlated":2v3d1drd said:

Get some! You won't be dissapointed!

Really considering it. As cheap as el34's are, might as well!

Man the failure rate is so low on the TAD's. I have had 2 fail in the field in like 500 sets. The same can not be said for the JJ's.

RACKSYSTEMS":2gv0kzfc said:

Do you guys stock quads at the shop? Maybe I'll just pick a set up next time I'm in the area.

Now that idea has me wanting,can I order a tube set from rack systems,and a black Tee with a gold friedman logo?

dave what do you recommend for a 2016 be 100 head. got tads for the power tubes and ars for pre.
will a sovtek lps work for the pi?
any body try eh?

donho":3d3gxli3 said:
dave what do you recommend for a 2016 be 100 head. got tads for the power tubes and ars for pre.
will a sovtek lps work for the pi?
any body try eh?

Any 12ax7 will work in any position. It's all a matter of preference. I know Dave likes Tung sols in V1/2. Current amps are shipping with EHX power tubes.

Back