Scumbacks Vs Creambacks in Friedman Amps

chachi83

Has anybody been able to do a side by side comparison between celestion creamback m75's and Scumback M75 speakers in there Friedman amp ? Any thoughts ?

OK first no not in a Friedman, and it would be Creamback M65. Both the M65 and Scumback M75 are flavored after late 60's Greenbacks but with higher power handling. They are gonna be more similar than different. I will say I have had A LOT of Celestions come and go thru my cabs and my cabs are still loaded with Scumbacks..

Huge Scumback fan here. Just a little clarification: the M/H designation regards magnet weight. The M being lighter, less efficient, and more mid heavy. Furthermore, the M magnet speaker will need more volume to sound the way you expect it to. The H magnet will be heavier, far more efficient, and more scooped sounding. It will also need less input to sound the way you expect. The cones are either the common 75 or less-common bass cone (55) which regards (in theory) the resonant frequency. The Scumbacks, being faithful to the originals, will take some break-in time to get the surround, dope, and cone fibers broken in. But once they are, and if some wattage is put into them, you get a WONDERFUL midrange voice that is rich, detailed, and full of character. Some do not like them because they are used to Vintage 30s or C-75s. No, just no. The Creambacks have closed the gap, and react similarly to the Scumbacks, but I do not think they are all the way there. I like them, but like the Scumbacks better.

Now, to be even more long-winded...Dave puts the V30s on the bottom and GBs on the top of his 4x12s. These are much cheaper than either the Scumbacks or the Creambacks, but will be less sensitive to volume. V30s sound like they do in a very wide volume range. Also, the V30s help the vox-ish clean sound that is stock in the BE100 sound more sparkly.

A dream Friedman 4x12 for me would have Scumback M75s on top and H75 LDCs on bottom, all with the FBI treatment. :)

One more note...if you like the true GB sound but can't swing the cost of the Scumbacks (they do come up for sale used sometimes just keep looking) the EVH-labelled Celestion 25w speakers are OUTSTANDING once really broken in (it takes a long time), and you can find them cheap. They are a relabeled Heritage GB. What you lose is a voice coil that can handle the extra wattage. Jim's SBs are usually 65w power-handling (I have a Bogner ported 1x12" with an M75/100w that sounds great). But the EVH Celestion is an option.

mixn4him":1v3h5hy8 said:
OK first no not in a Friedman, and it would be Creamback M65. Both the M65 and Scumback M75 are flavored after late 60's Greenbacks but with higher power handling. They are gonna be more similar than different. I will say I have had A LOT of Celestions come and go thru my cabs and my cabs are still loaded with Scumbacks..

sorry, i did not the state the product properly.

Rdodson":1bvgwc6l said:
Huge Scumback fan here. Just a little clarification: the M/H designation regards magnet weight. The M being lighter, less efficient, and more mid heavy. Furthermore, the M magnet speaker will need more volume to sound the way you expect it to. The H magnet will be heavier, far more efficient, and more scooped sounding. It will also need less input to sound the way you expect. The cones are either the common 75 or less-common bass cone (55) which regards (in theory) the resonant frequency. The Scumbacks, being faithful to the originals, will take some break-in time to get the surround, dope, and cone fibers broken in. But once they are, and if some wattage is put into them, you get a WONDERFUL midrange voice that is rich, detailed, and full of character. Some do not like them because they are used to Vintage 30s or C-75s. No, just no. The Creambacks have closed the gap, and react similarly to the Scumbacks, but I do not think they are all the way there. I like them, but like the Scumbacks better.

Now, to be even more long-winded...Dave puts the V30s on the bottom and GBs on the top of his 4x12s. These are much cheaper than either the Scumbacks or the Creambacks, but will be less sensitive to volume. V30s sound like they do in a very wide volume range. Also, the V30s help the vox-ish clean sound that is stock in the BE100 sound more sparkly.

A dream Friedman 4x12 for me would have Scumback M75s on top and H75 LDCs on bottom, all with the FBI treatment. :)
Thank you for your input and in depth response. My Friedman Cab is loaded with the Greenback/V30 combo. I also have a Scumback Tall 4x12 cab loaded with J75 speakers(I use this cab for a Marshall with fortin knuckle mod), and a 2X12 loaded with Scumback BM75 speakers. I want to try either the Scumback M75PVC-65W, Scumback M75-65w, or Celestion Creamback M75. I have owned scumback m75's and H75's in the past but not while I've had the Friedman BE100. I know that I will end up being happy with any Scumback I purchase I make, because Jim has never let me down. I just don't want to overlook the Creamback because people seem to really be pleased with them, and the clips sound fantastic. Just fishing the forum for input, thanks for any given.

No doubt the Creambacks are killer. We are so spoiled right now and honestly it is guys like Jim and the Austin Speaker Works guys who have made Celestion improve their product offerings. The PVCs have a really cool thing going on if you dig that edge-of-the-note vocal quality.

Rdodson":3axbchrd said:
No doubt the Creambacks are killer. We are so spoiled right now and honestly it is guys like Jim and the Austin Speaker Works guys who have made Celestion improve their product offerings. The PVCs have a really cool thing going on if you dig that edge-of-the-note vocal quality.
can you explain "edge of the note vocal quality" ?

Watch this:

Further from Pete:
"Although I don't own them, I think I may prefer the BM75 to the M75! They have a bit more aggressive top/mids. Both are great for that greenback thing. If you want darker, go M75. If you want brighter, go BM75.

"I used an original M75 for most of Guitar Nerd.

"I have a M75 pvc 25 watt, that's the only one I've actually tried- all my M75's are 65 watt ones. The one I have is great though, sounds killer."

There is just a bit more "cut" but it isn't harsh. It reminds me of the sound a really good strat makes where the attack of the note has a little snap to it without being fatiguing. The PVCs are a little brighter but I think they aren't quite as aggressive as the Blackbacks.

I hope this helps. It is a feel thing. I'm happy with my regular M75s but the other "flavors" are interesting.

Resurrecting this thread and I'm trying to find speakers I think work best for my setup. I play hard rock and some tighter early metal stuff in my cover band

I have a Stagecraft Diagonal 2x12 with a CBH75 on bottom and CBM65 on top. I played it with the BE50 at an outdoor show this weekend and it sounded good. I ran the masters up on 5, halfway, and here were my settings:

Thump: 2:00
Response: 3:00
Presence:9:30
Treble: 11:00
Middle: 11:30
Bass: 1:30
Both Gains: 2:00

The sound was pretty great, but I had to dial out quite a bit of the treble out front and since it was outdoor, I increased the Bass and Thump quite a bit versus being indoors. I like the Creambacks, but they still need some breaking in, I think. CB65 is warmer and H75 brings the sizzle.

I'm wondering if I should look at a Scumback speaker, like a BM65 and/or H75 to still bring the bass/thunder, but give me a bit more range/control over the sizzle and high end?

I have a J75, that I put on the bottom/replaced the CBH75 and it definitely allowed me to run the presence higher, but I feel I lose some of the bass from it.

Thoughts and/or recent experiences on Scumbacks versus Creambacks? ...Should I be looking at a higher powered V30 type speaker to mix as well with a M and/or H type speaker?

Cheers!

I use Creamback H75's in my Friedman 412 and my Friedman 212. I get no loose bass feeling. In fact, it all stays super tight in the low end, even highs and a great mid range.

atrox":3vilq7pv said:
I use Creamback H75's in my Friedman 412 and my Friedman 212. I get no loose bass feeling. In fact, it all stays super tight in the low end, even highs and a great mid range.

Cool. ...I'm a fan of the CBH75s, but looking to compare them with the Scumback H75. I also have a Redback 150 I may try.

What amp are you playing?

Junk Yard Dog":7stex56m said:
atrox":7stex56m said:

Cool. ...I'm a fan of the CBH75s, but looking to compare them with the Scumback H75. I also have a Redback 150 I may try.

What amp are you playing?

BE-100. I know you were looking for a comparison, but i figured i'd give my experience with the CB anyway in Friedman cabs

Back