Changing Tubes in my BE-100

Ozone

Is this process just as easy as buying new jj el34's and preamp tubes and popping them in or do I need to get special tubes rated for my amp?
I have opened up the back and the power tubes have 42 written on them. Does this mean I need to find a 42 type JJ tube?

I have googled around and haven't really found an answer.
I have found threads were people have biased there amp after changing. I have no idea how to bias or what biasing does and probably would't want to do it in fear of frying myself or my amp.

Could someone explain this process to me or point me in the right direction? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but tube amp maintenance is new to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Your first question in a simple one.. No, you never need to get any special rated preamp tubes as long as they are all the same 12ax7 type. I will say that the Ruby HG+ 12AX7 has been the best preamp tubes in the V1-V2 spots of all my amps that have the Marshall style gain. Dave says he uses JJ 12ax7 for V1-2 cause they are less microphonic, but if your wanting a way better sounding tube then I'd stick a tested Ruby HG+ or TAD 12ax7 in there cause those Chinese tubes sound better IMHO, to the point it's like plugging in a low-capacitance cable vs a higher one. They really open up the amps tone with tighter bass and crispier highs.

Experiment around if you want with pre's, but after noticing several dudes with a NOS tube stash swapping (including myself) in some Mullards to RCA, But I think the BE100 just sound best with the stock tubes they were voiced around.

So your power tubes say JJ in red and have 42 written on the top?
If they are ARS labeled JJ/Tesla El34's then all you have to do is order them from ARS with the numbers written in white on top of the tube.
Friedman has switched from JJ's to TAD power tubes and while I think the JJ is a more rugged tube, the TAD's sound better to me, cut better, in a similar way the Ruby HG+ pres do to the darker JJ 12ax7.

Hope this helps and you might know most this stuff but just giving you my experiences and what's worked best in my BE100 over the last 3 years.

Thanks.
All that information was very helpful.

I am really worried about the biasing part and trying to not have to do it, because I would have to bring it to a tech.

So if I switch to TAD power tubes do I ask for ones with a 42 rating (I guess that is what that means).

Yes the current tubes are ARS. JJ in red, 42 written on top with look to be in a felt tip white pen.

Dave has said many times in the past: "always bias new power tubes"
I agree with using TAD tubes.
As for preamp tubes....try out a variety of 12ax7. I use Prefered Series 7025 from tubestore.

Ozone":1rcb461g said:
Thanks.
All that information was very helpful.

I am really worried about the biasing part and trying to not have to do it, because I would have to bring it to a tech.

So if I switch to TAD power tubes do I ask for ones with a 42 rating (I guess that is what that means).

Yes the current tubes are ARS. JJ in red, 42 written on top with look to be in a felt tip white pen.

Buy a good bias probe, and in several uses it will pay for itself. It's a great tool that will save you a LOT of money in the long run.

Mike D.":3h1q4jb7 said:
As for preamp tubes....try out a variety of 12ax7. I use Prefered Series 7025 from tubestore.
could you talk a bit more about this tubes, as far i know they are Shuangan tubes made to tube store specs, are you using them for all positions or just V1 and V2?. i was thinking about ordering this tubes but for my IIC+

mxr2000":3ry42jzj said:
Mike D.":3ry42jzj said:
could you talk a bit more about this tubes, as far i know they are Shuangan tubes made to tube store specs, are you using them for all positions or just V1 and V2?. i was thinking about ordering this tubes but for my IIC+
If your wanting a Prefered Series let me know. I have one, maybe two I'll let go

Okay got in some new jj tubes.

Now the fun begins. Their is a 21 written on the power tubes. Is this their rating?

Grab a bias right from weber. Super easy. I know nothing about amps and was able to bias it with a little research and caution of course.

Eurotubes makes a bias probe as well. It seems a lot nicer than the Weber bias rite... FWIW, I've used a Weber bias rite for close to a decade.

I don't mind ripping apart my other amps but the BE-100 is sacred and wanna know what to expect. Are there any pics floating around I'm missing?

Thanks!

Back