A short review of the AMAZING Buxom Boost

MrFlexx

Bought the Buxom Boost about 4 Days ago and it's an amazing tool shaping the sound of your rig. I've been playing around with it for about 10 hours and here's my 50 cents about it. The thing that surprised me the most was that just by dial the boost knob clockwise is like having a Smallbox with more gain on tap. It doesn’t sound like you added an overdrive or boost pedal. The added gain really sounds like it’s coming out of the Smallbox itself. To explain how good the Buxom Boost is I can tell you the following thing: I’ve had a mail conversation with Dave himself about having him modifying my Smallbox by adding the HBE-switch, C45 and SAT-switch, but now I don’t feel there’s a need for it anymore. By using the Buxom Boost to boost my Smallbox makes it sound as big and aggressive as the BE100 but with the vintage touch of the Smallbox.

There’s one more thing making the Buxom Boost extremely versatile, and that is that if you dial the boost knob counter clockwise it will actually lower the gain of the Smallbox without destroying the tone. This means that you can dial in the Smallbox with the gain on 10 of the BE channel and then engage the Buxom Boost and have a low gain sound but with the BE character. So there’s loads of variations making a 2-channel amp like the Smallbox a multi-channel monster of amp. And I haven’t even mentioned the Tight Knob or EQ of the Buxom Boost. The sound palette is huge.

I haven't tried my Buxom Boost with my BE-100, but it sounds fantastic with my DSL100 and Katana. Very transparent and very versatile lil pedal.

Great pedal. I've used it (just a little) to add a modern eq'd channel to the DSM, and also the Soldano HR25. You can really change the eq AND gain structure, I guess through the eq. I like it to alter amp to more modern sounding tone. So boost bass and scoop mids while adding some gain, there ya go. Honestly just scratchin' with what this one can do.

Nice! I have this pedal and a Dirty Shirley pedal arriving next week for my board. Looking forward to them!

apophis":1igkop8t said:
any more opinions on this pedal?
It's a fantastic pedal. I've owned almost 50 other od/boost pedals and tried many more and the buxom boost is in my top 4 favorites! (The other 3 are also much more expensive and noisier)

Love mine, turns my Uber into the most brutal and tight fire breather I've experienced. I love that even with the tight at noon its super tight yet still fairly forgiving with a bit of added bass. Big problem I had with the Fortin pedals, wayyyyy too stiff for my liking

I’ve had the usual suspects and s few other boost pedal de jour and this B.B. is incredible. It makes all my amps sound massive and so damn adjustable it doesn’t get Velcro as it bounces from amp to amp I won’t commit it to a board. It not only makes dirt channels huge but also turns cleans into the most pick sensitive I’ve everblooming heard. Nuances galore. I predict the more people find out about this pedal the more it will become the go-to boost.

Starman22":1igkd0sh said:
I’ve had the usual suspects and s few other boost pedal de jour and this B.B. is incredible. It makes all my amps sound massive and so damn adjustable it doesn’t get Velcro as it bounces from amp to amp I won’t commit it to a board. It not only makes dirt channels huge but also turns cleans into the most pick sensitive I’ve everblooming heard. Nuances galore. I predict the more people find out about this pedal the more it will become the go-to boost.

I've had mine for a couple weeks and I completely agree, its so dynamic and it does everything well. It has become my favourite boost, my Koko, Standout, and Grind haven't seen any use since I've got it.

Yeah I loved my Koko Boost... picked up the Buxom pedal used and then sold the Koko. Buxom can be dialed in just like the Koko pretty easily, but the tight knob really just lets you clean up the bottom end which can get out of control a bit with the Koko. The rest of the EQ is great too.

cnunlist

Bump...

I use the KOKO boost in my loop for leads.
Never tried up front.

The Buxom I bet would kill into my Modified Dual Rec or Bogner Shiva (20th).

Anyone have experience with the Metropoulos Supa Boost by comparison?

Hey! Bump...

So you find the Buxom can sound aggressive? My Bogner Shiva is great but a little polite. I'm trying to find a pedal to make it sound more aggressive and bigger. The Supa Boost made it sound bigger, more like a 100 watt head but not more aggressive.
I'm considering trying the Buxom with my Shiva.
Otherwise, I'll give the Rockett Archer Rockaway a go, or Full tone OCD.

Back