BE50 HBE vs Butterslax ch 3

The only thing holding me back from selling my JJ for a Butterslax is that I really like having a clean, clean channel. Otherwise I would be all about the Butterslax. I really dig Ch2 on that amp.

DG335":2tp44im8 said:
The only thing holding me back from selling my JJ for a Butterslax is that I really like having a clean, clean channel. Otherwise I would be all about the Butterslax. I really dig Ch2 on that amp.

You can change that. I’m talking to Dave right now about what I wanna do to Channel 1.
Thinking of a few cool ideas. I’ll prob be sending in for a couple tweaks for power amp also.

LunatiBSW":2k27kc80 said:
DG335":2k27kc80 said:

You can change that. I’m talking to Dave right now about what I wanna do to Channel 1.
Thinking of a few cool ideas. I’ll prob be sending in for a couple tweaks for power amp also.

Awesome! Keep us posted. If I could get a JJ clean or Buxom Betty on Ch1 and a SAT/HBE switch on Ch2 to switch the diodes in/out, that might push me over the edge.

LunatiBSW":293rr2z5 said:
DG335":293rr2z5 said:

Nice what are you thinking? I got a couple ideas as well if I’m sending mine in

LunatiBSW":3gn3o988 said:
DG335":3gn3o988 said:

Do tell :D

Can you make Channel 1 the same as the BE50 clean? Or maybe channel 2? I kind of want to tweak mine if it's possible but I really like channel 1 for recording bass tracks with... it nails the old thrash piano tone with slight dirt perfect for my use. :thumbsup:

I wanted the mods switchable.
So we’re Talking about a switch to take it to Plexi type cleans on ch 1.
I wanted Channel 2/3 tighter and some mid adj.
So it’s Adding the response (negative feedback adj) and Also a switch or two to get the mids the way I want them for my super evil tones. To get the CLANK.
Super pumped to get this off.

LunatiBSW":1ma5aq3m said:
So it’s Adding the response (negative feedback adj) and Also a switch or two to get the mids the way I want them for my super evil tones. To get the CLANK.

It sounds like I might have to get the Lunati special :LOL: :LOL: , that sounds like a perfect idea. I am wondering about Buxom type cleans more so though

DeathbyButterslax":2e4c93gh said:
I am wondering about Buxom type cleans more so though

Yeah I love the idea of buxom like cleans.

Ch1 = Buxom Betty (I'd settle for JJ cleans)
Ch2 = Butterslax Ch2 with no diodes (or JJ BE mode)
CH3 = Butterslax Ch3 with switchable diodes

This would only add one knob. I get real cleans and I get to keep my JJ BE channel plus add the Butterslax Ch3 with or without diodes.

Controls would be:

Thump
Presence
Bass
Middle
Treble
MV3
MV2
Gain 2
Gain 3
Boost 3
Bass
Middle
Treble
MV
Volume

Yep that would do it.

DeathbyButterslax":2e70qdsp said:
LunatiBSW":2e70qdsp said:

It sounds like I might have to get the Lunati special :LOL: :LOL: , that sounds like a perfect idea. I am wondering about Buxom type cleans more so though

Thanks, I’ve had the amp over a year and feel like I’ve gotten to know it pretty well.
I asked about the buxom clean for channel 1 also. He basically steered me toward the gain switch. Which I’m assuming is the most practical option.

LunatiBSW":1s7mbtoh said:
DeathbyButterslax":1s7mbtoh said:
LunatiBSW":1s7mbtoh said:

Thanks, I’ve had the amp over a year and feel like I’ve gotten to know it pretty well.
I asked about the buxom clean for channel 1 also. He basically steered me toward the gain switch. Which I’m assuming is the most practical option.

I do love the low gain feel of that channel so it makes the most sense. I am interested in those mid switchs as well so we might be matching by the end haha

DG335":fdvnh6ci said:
Do the mids switches make it sound a little more Orange-ish?

I’m tuning the slax for my taste for the mids, and no, I def don’t want it to sound like an orange.
I said it above, more brootz and aggresssion.
You could prob get it to sound like that though, if that’s what you like

LunatiBSW":5rir7knv said:
DG335":5rir7knv said:

I’m tuning the slax for my taste for the mids, and no, I def don’t want it to sound like an orange.

Oranges sound a little more aggressive than Marshalls (and Friedman) to my ears and that is due to the mids, which is why I asked. Oranges are more lower mid focused than upper mids like a Marshall/Friedman. That said, the Butterslax is not a typical Friedman (evolved Marshall). If I throw an EQ in the loop on my JJ it sounds a little more Orange-ish to me. Not that I want an Orange, but I like how it sounds more angry without adding more gain.

DG335":10a21oby said:
LunatiBSW":10a21oby said:
DG335":10a21oby said:

Oranges sound a little more aggressive than Marshalls (and Friedman) to my ears and that is due to the mids, which is why I asked. Oranges are more lower mid focused than upper mids like a Marshall/Friedman. That said, the Butterslax is not a typical Friedman (evolved Marshall). If I throw an EQ in the loop on my JJ it sounds a little more Orange-ish to me. Not that I want an Orange, but I like how it sounds more angry without adding more gain.

Orange and aggression are polar opposites for me. I need an amp that can keep up with my left hand (im a lefty).
I’m def not wanting more low mids either for that. So to your point, I’m still not wanting like an orange.
When I asked Dave for more aggression, he said it was high mids that we tweak. Dave is bringing more of the presence freq shifting into the mids. More Marshally klank, or what I’m looking for as aggression.
But like I said, I’m just fine tuning it to be as evil as possible. Not everyone’s cup of tea.

LunatiBSW":3m15fd34 said:
DG335":3m15fd34 said:
LunatiBSW":3m15fd34 said:
DG335":3m15fd34 said:

Orange and aggression are polar opposites for me. I need an amp that can keep up with my left hand (im a lefty).
I’m def not wanting more low mids either for that. So to your point, I’m still not wanting like an orange.
When I asked Dave for more aggression, he said it was high mids that we tweak. Dave is bringing more of the presence freq shifting into the mids. More Marshally klank, or what I’m looking for as aggression.
But like I said, I’m just fine tuning it to be as evil as possible. Not everyone’s cup of tea.

Sounds like aggression for you is a tighter attack. Makes sense. That would be high mids (ie Marshall). Dave is a master of that. A little more BE-ish.

Oranges are a bit softer on the attack but more angry in how they clip (lower mids driven). A little more dirty shirley-ish. So I guess anger and aggression are two different things.

It's always hard using descriptive adjectives to communicate tonal differences.

LunatiBSW":1e3whmjk said:
Ive played both, and agree with the maker^
Im sure 100w makes a difference also.

To be fair though, that was before I discovered the "S" switch on the BE50. The Butterslax is voiced a little heavier but its closer than most people would think.

Back