JJ100 choke

The BE100 has a choke.
Are you thinking the choke in the JJ might be a different spec?
Stiffer / tighter?
Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here, but curious :confused:

bwgintegra":3sqdfi78 said:
HilltopExplosion":3sqdfi78 said:
What choke is in the JJ100? Wanted put one in my BE-100.

I'll leave this here for you

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.classictone.net/40-18058.html</span>

Thanks for the reply!

fusedbrain":3sqdfi78 said:
The BE100 has a choke.
Are you thinking the choke in the JJ might be a different spec?
Stiffer / tighter?
Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here, but curious :confused:

Yes, I think it could be, mine is a '14 BE, but is a little too stiff... even at higher volumes, (volume's never under 9 o'clock) I was wondering what the difference is between my amp and the production JJ model (other than the parallel cap in NFB). I'm trying to loosen it up a little, but not too much, and add gain. I have to use a pedal to get what I want. And no, the SAT switch doesn't put me where I want. My pre caps are 22uf and I think I read the JJ has 33uf, and my choke is a Tone Clone JT-45C 7H.

RACKSYSTEMS":3sqdfi78 said:
Same choke both amps.. if it's older it had a Mercury choke..

Thanks for the reply, do you think a 33uf or higher cap, and 3H choke change will give me what I'm lookin for?

Raising the value of the filter caps will stiffen the amp up, not loosen it up.
Going from a 7H choke to a 3H choke is going in the right direction, but I have no idea if that would get you what you want. I suspect the change would be subtle.

An easy fix to try: Check where the NFB is connected on the impedance selector. If it's on the 16 ohm tap or connected to the speaker jack, try moving it to the 8 or 4 ohm tap. As you move from the 16 ohm down to the 8 or 4 ohm, the feel will loosen up a bit, and the tone will get a little gainy-er / hairy-er, and a little brighter.
The newest BE100, I believe, has the NFB connected to the 4ohm tap and they are a little more aggressive sounding than the older ones.

If you want to mess with the filter caps, see what value cap you have on the screens, and you could maybe lower that cap to get more sag. I wouldn't go lower than 16UF though.

Back