2017 BE100 Noise

Edit321

Hi guys. Sent an email to Dave and have yet to hear back. No worries though. Figured I’d post here in the meantime.

My BE100 is starting to get very noisy. I assume it could be a preamp tube but I have no idea and no spares at the moment. I know....

The noise seems to be across all channels, but mostly on the BE and HBE side. Just to give you an idea, I typically run the amp into a Suhr Reactive Load box then into an Axe FX 2 for IRs and post effects. I tend to run the volume on 4 on the BE side and around 2 on the clean side. I realize at that volume, you can expect some noise but it’s getting a lot noise over the past couple weeks.

The noise is also present when I hook the head up to my Friedman 212. Not sure if this matters or not but with the amp turned on and directly in to the cabinet (no guitar or guitar cable plugged in) I do not get this noise. It's only when I introduce a cable and guitar. I have tried a couple different cables and guitars and the noise is still there.

Any idea what would be causing this and what I could do to troubleshoot further? If it's a tube, where do you recommend I order replacements? I am in Canada.

Also, is it OK to run the amp on 4 this way? I realize at that volume it can cause early wear on the tubes. I use it a lot live with my Surh Reactive Load and no cabinet.

Thanks!

My '14 BE has always been kinda noisy. It has a constant hiss that my 800 and 101B don't have...

Edit321":1vx7fsih said:
Hi guys. Sent an email to Dave and have yet to hear back. No worries though. Figured I’d post here in the meantime.

My BE100 is starting to get very noisy. I assume it could be a preamp tube but I have no idea and no spares at the moment. I know....

The noise seems to be across all channels, but mostly on the BE and HBE side. Just to give you an idea, I typically run the amp into a Suhr Reactive Load box then into an Axe FX 2 for IRs and post effects. I tend to run the volume on 4 on the BE side and around 2 on the clean side. I realize at that volume, you can expect some noise but it’s getting a lot noise over the past couple weeks.

The noise is also present when I hook the head up to my Friedman 212. Not sure if this matters or not but with the amp turned on and directly in to the cabinet (no guitar or guitar cable plugged in) I do not get this noise. It's only when I introduce a cable and guitar. I have tried a couple different cables and guitars and the noise is still there.

Any idea what would be causing this and what I could do to troubleshoot further? If it's a tube, where do you recommend I order replacements? I am in Canada.

Also, is it OK to run the amp on 4 this way? I realize at that volume it can cause early wear on the tubes. I use it a lot live with my Surh Reactive Load and no cabinet.

Thanks!
Since you don’t have any other tubes on hand swap around V1 & V2 to see if there is any difference.

With no guitar plugged in? Speaker cable to cab and nothing plugged in does it make noise? Could you email me a video?

There is no noise when nothing is plugged in to the amps input. Only when I plug in a guitar and cable. I have tried a couple different cables and guitars. I will email you a video shortly.

Re reading you post tells me it's guitar buzz in the room. I assume the buzz changes as you move around. This can be caused by electromagnetic fields in your room or area and there is not much that can be done about it. The pickups are picking it up from the air, or you sitting to close to gear that's on, or there is a modem in the room causing the issue. Please also make sure you have a good guitar cable plugged in.

The buzz doesn't seem to change as I move around. I totally get what you're saying though. And there has always been a small amount of noise but at last weekends gig (A gig that I play regularly) it was out of control loud buzzing. It was never as bad as it is now. With two guitars and two good guitar cables.

There really isn't much involved here unless the ground wire broke of the input jack..which I don't think is the case. Is there dimmers at the gig one dimmer can cause crazy buzz. If it down just a little.

That’s totally possible but not that I noticed. I’ll do some further messing around and get back to you.

Back