BE 50 DLX - Impressions and Pedal Question

Skeeter

So, I’ve had my BE50DLX for a few weeks now, and I am absolutely loving it!! I feel like it’s the first 3 channel amp I’ve had where the channels truly work together in an organic/logical way. They each deliver fantastic tones and give you a simple roadmap to go from clean, to rhythm and to lead. There have been a number of great reviews, so I’ll to give my own little summary of my impressions and at the end I have a question to other owners regarding pedals on the BB clean channel. For context, I’ve had a Small Box as my primary amp for the past few years - felt it was the best amp I ever had and wasn’t sure I “needed” the upgrade. Well, GAS hit, and I just had to go for this new amp. And I’m pleased to report, that for me, the upgrade has absolutely been worth every penny.

So, coming from the Small Box, it’s a blast just to have the full complement of the Friedman BE tone sculpting switches. I like this BE channel better than the SB - a little more gain, and cuts through in a different way (probably due to things like the voice switch, etc..). I used to need boosts with my SB, either for a bit more gain, or something in the loop for a volume/solo boost. Well, with the BE50DLX I can get all the gain I need from the amp, which is just a cool feeling and lends those higher gain lead tones a certain purity. Even when I had a Bogner XTC, I would boost the blue channel, as I just liked the inherent tone better than the red channel. So, feeling like the amp has everything I need as far as M-style gain is just very satisfying after having other 3 channel amps that just didn’t quite deliver on all fronts.

The new output section tone knobs - Thump and Response are very cool. It’s nice to be able to roll off the Bass some when it needs tightening, but still get that floor shaking low-end by bringing Thump up. The Response knob seems very unique, and while it can sometimes seem subtle (I think it may be more noticeable at higher volumes) it does let you go from a bit of the softer “blanket over the amp” tone at one extreme to really direct and in your face on the other extreme. It’s fun to adjust depending on guitar, pickups, gain level, or just your playing mood. It’s a quick and convenient way to help cut through a live mix as you’re playing, without messing around with the tone stack - much like its neighbor, Presence. I can’t think of an experience with another amp that’s comparable to this level of control over its “feel”. I also think the gain structure switch is very interesting and useful. The BE/HBE don’t have to be fire breathers in lower settings and their character changes and actually has a different feel. This is an area I’m looking forward to playing around with more.

That brings me to the biggest “upgrade” of this amp imho - the Buxom Betty clean channel. I had gotten so used to the shared EQ of the Small Box, that I didn’t realize how much I had to compromise at times to find a balance that worked for both channels. Well, no more! Just having the separate EQ makes a huge difference - now I can tailor things, without compromise, to get the best pure sparking clean tone out of any given guitar. As compared to the clean range of the SB’s plexi channel - it has a lot more body, and headroom - which is helpful for certain modulation effects that would begin to break up the SB’s plexi channel, even at its cleanest settings. So, now I can hear my choruses, flangers, etc.. in a beautiful pristine manner that I didn’t even realize was there. As many have said, the channel is akin to a blackface Fender - which is brilliant for an EL-34 amp. It just sounds great next to the fire breathing BE channels.

The other major benefit of this improved, self contained clean channel is the other the dirt pedals I like to use to get a different drive flavor - fuzzes, D-style OD. Again, the separate EQ is really helpful here - tames that quirky fuzz so it cuts through, or sounds better. For D-Style tones I have found the J Rockett Dude to sound great - even better than on the plexi channel of the SB. I have a Fuchs ODS, and this gives a good approximation, with a large gain range, yet still sounds and feels like the BB channel. I also use a Buffalo FX TD-X, which is a little more sensitive to your guitar and gain level. This might be one of the only ones that may have worked better on the plexi channel of the SB. Fuzz pedals - Buffalo FX M-1 sounds great for those Gilmour leads, the extra body and headroom of the BB cleans makes this fuzz sound very full and musical. Also have a Wren & Cuff Eye See Pi - which nails Smashing Pumpkins and other 90s stuff.

Now, the only thing I miss about the SB is the plexi channel, cranked up for that classic style of dirt. Even with the gain structure switches, it doesn’t seem, at least yet, like you can approximate this tone on the BE channel.

So this is where I was wondering if anyone is using a “plexi in a box” type pedal on the BB clean channel? Maybe one of the various JTM-style pedals, including the Dirty Shirley pedal? Do these pedals hold up at volume, next to the awesome purity of the BE channel? Or have people found other ways to get that type of tone from the amp that I just haven’t figured out yet? Thanks for any ideas or thoughts - about any pedals you are really liking with this amp.

So in sum, this amp is amazing and even after nearly a month of throwing all kinds of guitars, pedals and styles at it, I feel like I’m still scratching the surface of its sculpting power. It’s so easy to great tones across all the modes, using the extra knobs and switches - It really does seem like it’s Dave’s best, to date - which is saying a lot, considering all of his great amps. So, don’t hestitate - go out and get one of these babies! :rock:

Those Plexi tones you’re after are on the clean channel with a boost in front of it. I use a Blues Driver that’s in my FX8 and it sounds amazing for those low gain/ edge of break up tones.

You can get a Synergy syn1 and get a plexi or Metro plex modul that seems to me that are more accurate than pedals for that sound.

I own a Small Box and think it is the best amp ever. I am still considering getting a BE50 Deluxe. This is the best BE50 clip I have heard so far.

John 14:6":3uippfdn said:
I own a Small Box and think it is the best amp ever. I am still considering getting a BE50 Deluxe. This is the best BE50 clip I have heard so far.

Well, hope my long, rambling review provided some insight from someone that felt the same way about the Small Box. As I said, the upgrade to the BE50 has been totally worth it for me, and I don’t miss my SB.

The plexi thing is kind of a minor quibble, and was just curious to see what others thought and maybe find a way to set the BE channel to approximate it. But, so far, definitely not hard to get some good low to mid gain tones on the BB channel using OD or boost pedals. If you rely heavily on a good amount of gain from the SB’s plexi channel for your tone, then the SB might remain the best option.

RACKSYSTEMS":3shtuocc said:
Guess I need to come up with a way to get the plexi in there also.
Could there really be some kind of plexi switch to change the character/break up of the clean channel?

I feel like even the thought is being greedy with an already perfect amp ;) You guys have spoiled us.

RACKSYSTEMS":16h4cggi said:

Would love to hear more on this if there is a simple mod that can be done to approximate Plexi tones. I have an idea of how it could be done with another relay, but that's not simple.

For me, the Plexi (or lower gain anyway) tones are more important than the HBE tones. That's one thing that's kept me away from this amp.

A bogner la grange is a great way to get some plexi in there... That Matt's music demo was great!

bbaug14":2cddro4j said:
RACKSYSTEMS":2cddro4j said:

Would love to hear more on this if there is a simple mod that can be done to approximate Plexi tones. I have an idea of how it could be done with another relay, but that's not simple.

For me, the Plexi (or lower gain anyway) tones are more important than the HBE tones. That's one thing that's kept me away from this amp.

If you don't want the HBE could do something custom

So I found a good solution to this issue. I got a Lovepedal JTM, which has just one knob for drive. It doesn’t really boost volume and is very low gain. It simply imparts that chunky, chewy early plexi tone to the clean channel. And unlike some of the more full featured “amp in a box pedals”, it doesn’t sound boxy or artificial. With no tone stack or other controls, maybe the simplicity helps. The one knob feels like the “missing” drive/gain control for the clean channel. YMMV, of course.

Now I can get those great mild breakup to medium plexi tones. On a Strat, it nails that “Wind Cried Mary” clean tone with a bit of hair. Maxed out with a neck humbucker, you get the basis for Clapton’s “woman tone” - especially if you use other od’s or clean boosts to push the pedal.

So, obviously there are a lot of JTM, or plexi pedals out there, including the Dirty Shirley pedal. And those might work in a similar manner. But as I said, I like the simplicity of this particular pedal, and how it maintains an open, and very touch responsive (which is crucial at low gain) tone. And I like boosting it with my Archer Ikon and other boost/od pedals for great medium gain classic rock tones that I miss from the Small Box. Anything a little further like Led Zep, or AC/DC, I might move to the awesomeness of the BE channel, but perhaps with the gain structure lowered.

So with that one little nagging bugaboo solved, I really feel like I have everything covered with this amazing, amazing amp!!

Very intrigued: So how are the Master Volume's on the amp? Is it manageable for smaller stages and not frustrating the sound guy and rest of the band? Do you use the loop volume as a master to help manage overall volume?

Also, is it more aggressive than the BE-100s? I was at the Viper Room two weeks ago and an STP cover band had a Friedman. It cut through fine. I'm presuming these 2016+ Friedmans are less "polite and polished" than the older Friedmans, which was a complaint from some users.

Junk Yard Dog":pwi97c04 said:
Very intrigued: So how are the Master Volume's on the amp? Is it manageable for smaller stages and not frustrating the sound guy and rest of the band? Do you use the loop volume as a master to help manage overall volume?

Also, is it more aggressive than the BE-100s? I was at the Viper Room two weeks ago and an STP cover band had a Friedman. It cut through fine. I'm presuming these 2016+ Friedmans are less "polite and polished" than the older Friedmans, which was a complaint from some users.

Honestly, very manageable. Back in Dec., I ran mine in a smaller club with my 212. It worked great. We didn’t mic as it was great cutting through. Now for my last 4 gigs, I run it at a volume where it sounds great but i use a UA OX to attenuate it a bit and that same unit sends to FOH where it sounds quite frankly stunning! Kind of have the cake and eat it as well with this setup.

:rock:

PBGas":2ntzxqga said:
Junk Yard Dog":2ntzxqga said:

Honestly, very manageable. Back in Dec., I ran mine in a smaller club with my 212. It worked great. We didn’t mic as it was great cutting through. Now for my last 4 gigs, I run it at a volume where it sounds great but i use a UA OX to attenuate it a bit and that same unit sends to FOH where it sounds quite frankly stunning! Kind of have the cake and eat it as well with this setup.

:rock:

Not to hijack the thread, but how are you running the OX live? Are you sending both outs (L and R) to FOH? Or summing to one side? I love the OX but am not sure how to run it best live.

Back