JJ vs. BE50 Gain Differences

Junk Yard Dog

I know their different amps, with the BE50 having a lot more features, but I was curious what the differences were between the BE50 BE and HBE gain vs. JJ BE and JBE gain.

I thought I read that the BE50 was voiced a little more aggressive than it's big brother the BE100 and the JJ was more aggressive than the BE100 in BE mode.

Does one have more low vs. high mids, etc? I played a JJ back in 2015 and I liked it more than the BE100 at that time, but that was before the BE100 updates.

I have the BE50 and I love it so far. I've never played an amp so amazing other than an SLO.

Cheers.

I havent played the BE50 but I imagine, as per usual, the JJ is probably darker sounding than the BE50. So regardless of how much gain is available it still wont be the same...

The JJ actually has one less gain stage than the BE50, and BE100, so overall the JJ has less gain capability. The BE50 has the same voltage divider as the JJ.
The JBE mode is basically the BE channel with the SAT switch on. The JJ has an extra cap in the resonance circuit that tightens up the low end.

I would think you should be able to get pretty close to the JJ sound with the BE50, given the flexibility the amp has

CrazyNutz":2ll6fir3 said:
The JJ actually has one less gain stage than the BE50, and BE100, so overall the JJ has less gain capability. The BE50 has the same voltage divider as the JJ.
The JBE mode is basically the BE channel with the SAT switch on. The JJ has an extra cap in the resonance circuit that tightens up the low end.

I would think you should be able to get pretty close to the JJ sound with the BE50, given the flexibility the amp has

Awesome! I really loved the JJ100 when I , it back in 2015. I liked it better than the BE100, which was sitting right next to it. The JJ felt more raw in BE mode. ...I don't play a clean channel, and am wondering if the JJ's tightness is what I'm after, so I would even consider turning the BE50 over for a JJ, but the 100 watts kinda scares me for the small stages I play, and i know how good the MV's on are these as my BE50 sounds INCREADIZbLE on almost 9:00.

I just purchased a Buxom Boost, so I think that will tighten things up on both BE and HBE on the BE50.

Also, I don't think I was playing with the Sat switch on, so perhaps Sat offers a bit more tightness in the gain on the BE50.

I’ve spent more time with my BE50. I’m over the moon with it.

Low volume apartment level playing with stellar tone is all there.

I’m coming from a Splawn, so I’m used to just gobs of Gain. So the BE50 was an adjustment, but I think I’ve figured it out. I don’t think you need the Sat switch at either high or low volume, hr when I had the BE50 at apartment volume and engaged Sat, it was crushing.

I still am curious how the gain in BE and HBE are vs the JJ. I feel like they have to be close, with the JJ having more low mids, but I think the BE50 has to almost or is AS brutal as the JJ100.

I know they are set up different per the above post, but I’d you were to just listen to them side by side through the same cab, it has to be close.

Junk Yard Dog":1tlqbnv8 said:
I still am curious how the gain in BE and HBE are vs the JJ. I feel like they have to be close, with the JJ having more low mids, but I think the BE50 has to almost or is AS brutal as the JJ100.

The JJ has BE level gain, and that is it.

Back