BE100/BE50: Anyone Tube Rolled? Where Did You Land...

Junk Yard Dog

I've got a ton of 12AX7s lying around and thought to tube roll. I think of my preamp tubes may be funky, so I was wondering what folks have tried in V1-V4.

Cheers!

I just put a RUBY AC5 12AX7 HG+ 678 (Diezel Selected) in V1 which is tested for very low noise and a Ruby AC5 H+ in V2. I'm not sure what to try in V3 or V4. I have TAD 7025 WAs, Sovtek LPSs, Tung Sols, Chinese 12AX7bs, and more.

I was thinking to try TAD EL34B's in the power section.

in my 2016 be 100 i got tung sols in v1 and v2. ruby in v3 and sovtek lps in v4.
i think friedmans are using tungs and rubys in their line up now.

I have Mullard CV4004's in v1 and v2 of my BE-100 (per Valve Queens suggestion). I had Tung-Sol's in there, which are my preferred, but i use a bunch of different tunings and the Tung-Sol's do not seem to like lower tunings with bigger strings, etc (odd high end thing going on). Though they sound perfect with Standard tunings. I feel the Mullards keep a great tone at Standard and also smooth out the highs on low tunings.

Regarding the EIs, I have had one particular 12ax7 that I've used in everything for years now. Got it for $5 in a pile of stuff one music store here in Dallas was clearing out. I've bought many since then online and while they all sound good, this one is spectacular. I found one more that sounded as good, but like Dave said quickly went microphonic.

The long plate design, which was built on the old Telefunken equipment in Yugoslavia before (no joke) Clinton had it bombed, lends itself to the rich harmonics but also to fragility and so forth.

Back