All Mods Thread for Production Friedmans

Junk Yard Dog

Wanted to get a thread going of all mods Dave has done to PRODUCTION amps, ala BE's, Dirty Shirley's, Smallbox, SS's, etc, etc.

If you had a mod done, what is/was it, why did you do it, what was the result, do you rate it, etc, etc.

Example: I've played 2014/5 BE100s and really dug the amount of gain, tightness and chugg; my BE50 is much more open, less tight and compressed. I'm wondering if Dave's "New/Old" switch mod can get me close to the older Friedmans, if I want that option.

What mods have you done and what did you think of them. Cheers!

my 2016 be 100 has the solo boost mod.
i purchased the amp used, so the original owner had it done by dave.
dave removed the line out function and replaced it with a footswitchable solo boost. using the existing line out vol put as the solo boost control
works great.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 994
donho":9eohbmkj said:
dave removed the line out function and replaced it with a footswitchable solo boost. using the existing line out vol put as the solo boost control
works great.

Nice. So you can solo boost BE or HBE, depending on which of those channels the amp is running?

Junk Yard Dog":14ttp2ov said:
donho":14ttp2ov said:
works great.

Nice. So you can solo boost BE or HBE, depending on which of those channels the amp is running?
yes . you can boost both BE and HBE.
operates like the solo on boogie amps.

I own a 2015 BE-100 that Dave modified for me and I also own Marshall's that have been modified by Arrendondo (High-Gain Superlead) & Cameron (Ocean mod / Aldrich) that while they sound pretty good and as examples of HG to Vintage, Dave took that to a another level and modded my BE-100 to a Superior sounding amp.
My BE-100 had most of the "Standard Mods" Gain-Structure / Synergy Caps and NFB adjustment / Clean Channel Conversion BE-100 to SS-100 plus few additional things / few components changes and values to the Main Board. Which all add up to a truly "Amazing" Amp for live performances to recording studio,

it was a great opportunity to work with Dave.

Sent amp to have updated to 2016 specs. Amp is 2014 original owner. When adding the updates and S toggle I had a MV added to the HBE channel. Also had a N/O toggle added as well so I could possibly be able to get the original tone out of it. I am not tech savy so I cant speak on all the exact specs. The S switch is a great idea for any amp. The MV on the HBE is very useful if a solo or part isnt getting out enough just turn the knob as it should be. Done. I like the dark sound of the amp and its feel as it was.. I personally didnt want a more organic or open sound.. lots of vintage amps available if needed. Regardless Dave will go beyond average support and get exactly what your wanting If it can be done!

Beandust":3um2wgcy said:
Sent amp to have updated to 2016 specs. Amp is 2014 original owner. When adding the updates and S toggle I had a MV added to the HBE channel. Also had a N/O toggle added as well so I could possibly be able to get the original tone out of it. I am not tech savy so I cant speak on all the exact specs. The S switch is a great idea for any amp. The MV on the HBE is very useful if a solo or part isnt getting out enough just turn the knob as it should be. Done. I like the dark sound of the amp and its feel as it was.. I personally didnt want a more organic or open sound.. lots of vintage amps available if needed. Regardless Dave will go beyond average support and get exactly what your wanting If it can be done!

So how does the Old/New sound when in the Old position? Does it sound almost exactly like it was stock before the 2016 mods? What about New, if you've played a 2016+? I would be interested in maybe grabbing a 2016 and adding the New/Old, HBE volume and gain knobs, 3-way voice switch, and maybe a Thump or Response.

Junk Yard Dog":2buimivb said:
Beandust":2buimivb said:

So how does the Old/New sound when in the Old position? Does it sound almost exactly like it was stock before the 2016 mods? What about New, if you've played a 2016+? I would be interested in maybe grabbing a 2016 and adding the New/Old, HBE volume and gain knobs, 3-way voice switch, and maybe a Thump or Response.
I can give the description it has to my ears. Maybe D Friedman or someone else can chime in and be more specific or give the technical explanation. I've read something about the negative feedback" being in there. When playing on old and switching to new the amp has a very noticable volume increase, a bit more clarity maybe a more mids highs a tad less bass. Gain wise I would think it's pretty close either way if not the same. I cant say if it sounds exactly the same as it did before it was updated as i don't have the amp to a/b in the old (o/n) It sounds good either way to me. I can see the new being useful in a mix as it definitely has a frequency shift going on. I enjoy playing it on the old* quite often. I dug the amp period so honestly I'd be just as happy with a 2014 2015 or one with a turret board and 2 inputs. Never had or played a 2016 so I cant honestly say if I'd like it more. Amps very versitlte even with a stock 2014 it kicks major ass and takes any pedal u need to do more of anything. I cant imagine modding a deluxe as it has everything all the older models have and then some. Maybe it's more open or more compressed? Pedals cold remedy that yes? I am interested in the response controll and if it allows a different feel when playing that I do not have. But if it's a more vintage feel then it's a wash. If it's a more modern spongier feel then I'd dig it if indeed it's any more than what's offerd. Amp got awards for a reason. I'd buy another one and not mod anything if I had it to do over again. Hope this helps

I bought my JJ 100 modded. It has the extra volume for the JBE channel and that channel is also footswitchable. Makes it almost a 3 channel amp. I know another mod done to the JJ, mine doesn't have this though, is a separate gain control for the JBE channel.

Back