Atma Combo in da hizzy!!!

I find that with just a closed back cab it can get a bit bassy or boomy when running tone down under 11 oclock on the "blackface" side. You can get away with running this way with the combo or the open back cab but just the head into a closed back and I can see where this comes from. I get my favorite tones with a mix of open and closed back cabs but still keeping the tone a little closer to noon.

Tried giving it a go w multiple types guitars and three diff speakers thru 112 3rd power cab.
Regardless was one of the funnest amps I've ever owned. Wished he'd come out w updated version w full tone stack on clean. Though that tone knob is really something at changing character of amp from BF/tweed...genius!

jguitarslim":2djp8f32 said:
Tried giving it a go w multiple types guitars and three diff speakers thru 112 3rd power cab.
Regardless was one of the funnest amps I've ever owned. Wished he'd come out w updated version w full tone stack on clean. Though that tone knob is really something at changing character of amp from BF/tweed...genius!
Was the cab Open Back? You would have less chance off boominess with an OB cab.

supersonic":1m5j0jfs said:
jguitarslim":1m5j0jfs said:
Was the cab Open Back? You would have less chance off boominess with an OB cab.

Yup…ran it open back. Another guy I know had same issue ran an EQ in loop to try remedy issue.

GOHOINC":1gs7mrhv said:
Took it out when I swapped in the Alnico Cream. I have never really enjoyed G12H30s in any cab or combo I have ever tried them in. So for me the Alnico Cream turned a good amp into a great amp...
Mind's drifting to the notion of an Alnico Gold......... maybe.

Otherwise, my go to practise amp. No regrets - at all. And actually good for jamming with buds - no fuss - no muss - just straight up goodness.

Ventura":2hnc39k3 said:
GOHOINC":2hnc39k3 said:
Took it out when I swapped in the Alnico Cream. I have never really enjoyed G12H30s in any cab or combo I have ever tried them in. So for me the Alnico Cream turned a good amp into a great amp...

Otherwise, my go to practise amp. No regrets - at all. And actually good for jamming with buds - no fuss - no muss - just straight up goodness.

Never tried a gold. I always see people putting them in Dr. Z combos but playing mostly country or mild bluesy stuff them and while that isnt really my thing, theres a lot great tone in those arenas so I cant imagine the Gold being a bad speaker. The cream is probably overkill for this combo but it sounds killer.

I recently got the Friedman bug, so my atma isnt getting much love recently... I was really surpirsed how good the master is on these Friedman heads. In any case, my atma combo might be on the block soon but the alnico cream is staying...

GOHOINC":2q0qesnd said:
Ventura":2q0qesnd said:
GOHOINC":2q0qesnd said:

Never tried a gold. I always see people putting them in Dr. Z combos but playing mostly country or mild bluesy stuff them and while that isnt really my thing, theres a lot great tone in those arenas so I cant imagine the Gold being a bad speaker. The cream is probably overkill for this combo but it sounds killer.

I recently got the Friedman bug, so my atma isnt getting much love recently... I was really surpirsed how good the master is on these Friedman heads. In any case, my atma combo might be on the block soon but the alnico cream is staying...
Ya, the Friedmans' MV is pretty incredible for sure - no attenuator needed.

As for the Celestion Gold, they're awesome speakers *especially* in versatile combos - great cleans all the way to means - don't forget, Danny Spitz (Anthrax) to Paisley use these in their cabs. Very versatile. And worthy of price IMHO.

Atma is a great amp. Super versatile. Plugged into a 412 is so warm and juicy sounding. Love that little amp. it is far far more than just a "practice amp"

Jdub":g9u2klev said:
Atma is a great amp. Super versatile. Plugged into a 412 is so warm and juicy sounding. Love that little amp. it is far far more than just a "practice amp"
Spent a lot of time with mine over the weekend... Love it. Man, the toggles and engineering that Reinhold packed into that little unit is just outstanding. Simple but massive.

Great great amp!!! Sounds so fine :thumbsup:

Ventura":1vkc7n2o said:
Jdub":1vkc7n2o said:
Spent a lot of time with mine over the weekend... Love it. Man, the toggles and engineering that Reinhold packed into that little unit is just outstanding. Simple but massive.

It sounds to me like you need another Atma combo to go stereo!

GOHOINC":340tejif said:
Ventura":340tejif said:
Jdub":340tejif said:

One's just fine. But seriously - it's a beautiful thing... It gets a lot of my attention and play time. A lot.

(Eclipse dropping soon :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: )

Ventura":2c6iybjs said:
GOHOINC":2c6iybjs said:
Ventura":2c6iybjs said:
Jdub":2c6iybjs said:

One's just fine. But seriously - it's a beautiful thing... It gets a lot of my attention and play time. A lot.

Have you tried it with Vintage 30s? Any comparison or preference? I'm thinking it's time to finally get the head and don't want to have to get another cab (G12H30) to get the Atma sounding its best.

Bxlxaxkxe":27dfkl6w said:
Ventura":27dfkl6w said:
GOHOINC":27dfkl6w said:
Ventura":27dfkl6w said:
Jdub":27dfkl6w said:

Have you tried it with Vintage 30s? Any comparison or preference? I'm thinking it's time to finally get the head and don't want to have to get another cab (G12H30) to get the Atma sounding its best.
I like it with the stock G12H30 and an Alnico Gold.

Back