Goldfinger 45 Boost/PreFX problems

Fritz555

I sent this email to Bogner and they sent back an answer, but was a little short on information. I understand they can't give or reveal to much information on several grounds for safety reasons and legal actions, but if someone out there has had this problem or can direct/lead me in the right direction, perfect..... so here's the email below.

I'm very sorry to bother you guys, but I sent an email and may have forgotten to describe the type of amp I have.... Goldfinger 45, love this thing. I'm experiencing a problem with the Boost/FX Pre channel/switching. Changed tubes, cleaned with some Deoxit, checked all cabling, speaker connection. Nothing seems to work. I can turn the amp on and the Boost/PreFX will no engage/turn on... it only makes a barely audible sound as if there is a short/connection problem. On both the clean and plexi channels. I bought this amp used and have taken care of it.... change tubes every year if it needs it or not, gig every weekend, country and classic rock type music. Everything else functions prefect except... the boost side. Never abused! Thanks guys and Happy New Years to ya!

Reply from Bogner:

Hi _____,

I can tell you to check into some things but if you are not an amp Tech it is quite dangerous to work on it, there are lethal voltages in the amp even after turned off and unplugged from the power. You also would need a multi meter some knowledge how to check parts, solder etc....
Regards,

j o r g

My reply to Bogner:

Hi Jorg!

Thanks soooo very much for the reply to my problem. Ok, I’m a retired Aircraft Mechanic (A&P, FCC license) and have a basic knowledge of working with electricity. Ohmmeter, soldering and all the fun stuff … I guess we can call it the quiet killer. So, I have a great respect for the magic of E = I x R.

So, I still have the problem… it appears that after the amp warms up the Boost/PreFX goes out and sometimes when turning the amp on for the first time, after a brief standby warm up, it is inoperative. While in the standby mode, I can remove the V1 preamp tube and replace it in the socket, then the boost starts to function once again. Could it be a cold solder on the tube socket? Kind of lost here. I have owned this amp for the past 4 to 5 years and have never had any problems until recently. Any tips on how evaluate and solve this problem would be a blessing from you.

Problem number two: If you could please, give me any information, year of birth, known repairs, concerning a used amp I’m about to purchase from the same guy I bought the Goldfinger 45. It is an Ecstasy Classic SN 105145.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, hope everything goes your way today

So, looking for some ideas, Thanks guys

Ok, for all you guys asking yourself and maybe you're not.... lol. I have resolved the issue. The problem lie with the cannon plug or multi-pin plug for the foot control switch. On the interior side of the amp I noticed the plug as being loose, unsecured, and thus allowing some of the pins to ground to each other.... not all but just a few. So, I tightened the plug back to the chassis and took it for a test drive. For the last two days I have been jamming on this monster amp and thus far ..... no problems. The Goldfinger 45 is back in top running condition and I'm so very relieved.

Hope everything goes your way today.

Back