Just bought a Shiva 20th Anniversary. Need some cabs now.

Econ

Looking to build a W/D/W system. Would like to get a 2x12 and two 1x12 cubes. Thinking v30’s for the 2x12 and Greenbacks for the 1x12’s. Any have any experience with a similar setup?

Congrats! That's an awesome amp!!

Lately, I've been running mine into either a Bogner 2x12 or a Marshall 4x12, both with Creambacks. They seem to give a larger, but tighter, low end while retaining a lot of the upper-mid sound of a Greenback. V30s work well, too, but they're not exactly my favorites with any amp. I like using Greenies with the Shiva, too, but they aren't as firm in the bass as the CB, IMHO. With any speakers I've tried, those Bogner 2x12 cabs are killer!

I do know that Bogner uses a combination of V30s and Greenbacks in one of their cabs. So, while I don't have the setup you're suggesting, I'm inclined to think it would work really well.

Just curious... what are you going to use for powering the 1x12 wet cabs?

Still tring to decide between a Freytte Power Station and a Matrix. Another possibility could be the Synergy PowerAmp cause I’m also thinking about getting a Syn 2 Rack Preamp.

I have tried tons of cabs for classic rock and metal playing, and my favorite is the horizontal Recto 2x12. It can be huge and boomy, or it can be tight and clear, and everything in between.

Bogner cubes are about the best 1x12s I've played. That being said, I don't love any 1x12 tone in the room. It just misses something that you get from multiple speakers in cabs.

Consider your power if you are using 1x12s with Greenbacks. Those are low power handling speakers.

Just got a couple of 1x12 cabs that will eventually be paired with my Friedman 4x12 with Scumbacks (once I get my mixer and power amp) for a w/d/w system. Amp gets here Friday and the cabs tomorrow. Can’t wait!

Econ":ol7ww3wg said:
Still tring to decide between a Freytte Power Station and a Matrix. Another possibility could be the Synergy PowerAmp cause I’m also thinking about getting a Syn 2 Rack Preamp.

I have the Fryette PS2 and use with a Shiva 20th and it works great. I also have a Bogner UberKab and an OS2x12 and it works well with both. I’d recommend the PS2, because the attenuation makes a huge difference for me since I can crank the Volume and Master on the Shiva.

Got the amp and cabs yesterday. Holy smokes! The Shiva 20th sounds incredible. Place the order for the Mark L Stereo Dual Line Mixer. Should get it in 2-3 weeks. The last pieces to comolete the system are the power amp and the effects.

If I get the Fryette PS2, will I still need a line out box? The Shiva doesn’t have a line out. I also noticed that the Mark L SDLM has a line out, but don’t know if that will work. The other alternative I’m considering for the power amp is the Matrix. So it will be the Fryette or the Matrix.

So last piece would be the effects processors. Want something that sounds but is not comolicated to program. Thought about the Lexicon MPX1, but from reviews read it seems to be a pain in the neck to program. Thinking about getting 2 Eventide H9’s. Do I really need to effect processors to complete the system or will one do? Anyway, suggestions are always welcome.

Glad to hear you like the amp! Such a blissfully named little beast. So many sounds...

I haven't used a PS2, but I think straitjacket has a point with the attenuation. The Shiva's got a great MV, but it does sound better when it's opened up a little. With my Shiva, I typically use the effects send to run the wet cabs, but I'm guessing that the line out on the PS2 would work even better. With other amps, I sometimes use a direct box between the amp and the dry cab, which I'm pretty sure is exactly what the line out on the PS2 is.

As for effects, there really are so many options. While one processor is certainly enough, some processors take a little time to switch presets, causing a short period where there are no effects and eliminating the tail of any reverbs or delays you were using. Having two processors eliminates this by being able to preload the desired presets on each box, then just switching between them. Of course, then you'll need a loop switcher to turn them on and off, but the benefit is more then worth it, IMHO.

I can verify that the MPX1 can be a pain to program. While I don't have an H9, I do have all the Factor pedals, an Eclipse, an H3000DSE, and a GTR4000. The Factors and the Eclipse are pretty easy to program, much more so than the MPX1. So, I'd imagine that the H9 is easier, too.

With any processor, it's mostly a question of how flexible they are versus how much time you want to put into it. If you just want to use or slightly modify some presets, most everything's going to be pretty easy. If you really want to develop your own sounds, you'll want to find something that allows pretty deep editing (like an Eventide H8000FW). For me, I like to tweak, but I like to play more. The processors than I've gotten the most enjoyment out of are probably my Eventides and my Lexicon PCM81. Their presets are good and they're pretty easy to tweak and can go deeper, if I want. There really are a TON of options, though.

The new Line 6 HX effects processor is supposed to be great. It's the Helix w/out the amp models. A big selling point of the Helix has always been how easy it is to use and program compared to it's competitors. You may want to research it as it just came out at NAMM.

Congrats on the Shiva 20th! It's been my main amp for the past 2 years. It's perfect gigging IMO. My favorite cab/speakers so far have been a Mesa standard cab with V30's. I'm interested in trying those new Celestion neo creambacks with it. I've heard great things about those speakers and they are a fraction of the weight. Would be cool to put those in a 2x12 cab for easier transport.

Yes, the PS2 has a line out. I usually do one of these 2 things:
1) Come line out into anything that accepts a line signal. I use it to go into an Axefx2 only for Cab IR's and then to a FRFR speaker. This works great. But you can literally do anything with the signal.

2) Come out of the speaker and into a regular cab. Use the PS2 Power section for volume.

Based on your experience with the PS2, do you think it colors your sound a lot? That is the reason I’m also considering the Matrix.

stratjacket":2do3xjup said:
Yes, the PS2 has a line out. I usually do one of these 2 things:
1) Come line out into anything that accepts a line signal. I use it to go into an Axefx2 only for Cab IR's and then to a FRFR speaker. This works great. But you can literally do anything with the signal.

2) Come out of the speaker and into a regular cab. Use the PS2 Power section for volume.

Back