filter caps. “Setneck” where are you?!

SQUAREHEAD

It just doesn’t sound quite like it used to in 1992, it’s not quite as tight.Although maybe it’s just my ears… I am getting older.
I have tried NOS Siemens, mullards, Svetlana winged C’s etc. etc. etc. All kinds of beautiful preamp tubes…
I talked to Jorge @ Bogner and they cannot get this exact Capacitor any longer… They use a little higher filtering in the newer Bogner ecstasies… I guess I am looking for some wisdom here, is there a filter capacitor that is a direct replacement for these?
Thank you for any insight…
Keith

Last edited:
It seems that main filter caps need to be replaced. I would replace all of them, not only blue power but also black preamp filters. Try to find exact size Nichicon or Mallory, my 101B was recapped with those and sounds great. Sprague or F&T eventually would also do the job.

Setneck

OK, thanks for your help guys!
Bogner only has the Nichicon 56’s they don’t have the 47’s … Do you guys think that will completely change the tone of the amplifier or will it just tighten it up a bit?
I don’t mind if it tightens it up a little bit, but if it changes the whole tone / feel drastically, I guess I better keep looking for the 47s…

SQUAREHEAD":yz9mvbzv said:
OK, thanks for your help guys!
Bogner only has the Nichicon 56’s they don’t have the 47’s … Do you guys think that will completely change the tone of the amplifier or will it just tighten it up a bit?
I don’t mind if it tightens it up a little bit, but if it changes the whole tone / feel drastically, I guess I better keep looking for the 47s…

No problem. Ask bogner the dimension of the caps (height, width, lead spacing), or measure yourself. If you post that info I will find you caps at mouser that will be the best/original fit.

Also 47uf vs 56uf wont really be drastic, but it will change a bit, may not be noticeable. Depends on the circuit but going up in value can produce more bass. Also keep in mind different manufactures/series of caps DO sound different.

I sent pictures to Jorg at Bogner and he confirmed that everything will fit extremely well and easy…
He has the caps there and will sell them to me, and the price is it very reasonable, they are all Nichicon caps

Last edited:
SQUAREHEAD":3s09s769 said:
I sent these pictures to Jorg at Bogner and he confirmed that everything will fit extremely well and easy…
He has the caps there and will sell them to me, and the price is it very reasonable, they are all Nichicon caps

@SQUAREHEAD: How did it all work out? Find myself in the same situation. Thx!

Back