Wizard metal tube chart

fuzzyguitars

Anyone know?

Also what are the the brands that come loaded in new wizards.

The Jj pre tubes were micro phonic as hell!

fuzzyguitars":211u4gde said:
Anyone know?

Also what are the the brands that come loaded in new wizards.

The JJ pre tubes were micro phonic as hell!
Are you referring to the MTL or Metal? I do not believe they are one and the same.

fuzzyguitars":2prsujz5 said:
Awesome amp! Way higher gain than the Metal from what I heard about the Metal. I own one and it's great. Does it have the loop? I know the MCII comes with the long plate JJ's. I had an MCII as well. I found that tube to be the quietest and sound good with the regular JJ ecc83. I think I swapped V1 for a Tesal NOS and left the long plate in for the PI. The rest regular JJ. That's what is in mine right now. Do you know what transformers you have. Mine has the A. The MTL had the newest transformers. Go with the JJ regular in this amp. Mine sounds awesome. I sold my MCII after I had them next to each other. I preferred the MTL but the MCII was a killer amp also. V1 input tube, V2 clean and clean boost, V3 lead channel, V4 lead boost. not sure about the other half of the tube. V5 is loop and V6 is PI. I am not positive on V2 and V3. MTL sounds great with Winged C el34 over the JJ's.

Has loop.

Had jj's

Amp is very finicky with tubes.

Tubes that are fine in my other high gain amps, are in the verge of squeal in the mtl.

Loads of gain.

Master volume knob blows.

Goes to ear shattering on one.

Needed to use my rockcrusher just to play the thing without tearing the house down.

Have no idea about transformers except that they are big as hell.

It is quite a different beast than my Cantrell jj100

glip22":19lygm4e said:
fuzzyguitars":19lygm4e said:
Awesome amp! Way higher gain than the Metal from what I heard about the Metal. I own one and it's great. Does it have the loop? I know the MCII comes with the long plate JJ's. I had an MCII as well. I found that tube to be the quietest and sound good with the regular JJ ecc83. I think I swapped V1 for a Tesal NOS and left the long plate in for the PI. The rest regular JJ. That's what is in mine right now. Do you know what transformers you have. Mine has the A. The MTL had the newest transformers. Go with the JJ regular in this amp. Mine sounds awesome. I sold my MCII after I had them next to each other. I preferred the MTL but the MCII was a killer amp also. V1 input tube, V2 clean and clean boost, V3 lead channel, V4 lead boost. not sure about the other half of the tube. V5 is loop and V6 is PI. I am not positive on V2 and V3. MTL sounds great with Winged C el34 over the JJ's.

I don't have any issues with the tubes being microphonic in the amp. My MCII was more finicky with the pretubes. Teh amp will squeal if you turn the gain too high. There's a lot of gain. The MTL without the boost on has more gain than the MCII with the boost. Just have to balance things out with your guitar, volume, etc. It does not have the great taper on the master like the MCII. I think the pot might be linear. It does get loud fast. What I sometimes do is use the send and return on the loop to compensate. Can get great tones at lower volume. I really dig mine.

A metal shield in front of the impedance selector/speaker outputs, can eliminate most if not all issues with squealing. Its a known issue by Rick and he sometimes puts that shield on a new build and sometimes he'll retrofit one in by request.

IMG_0312.jpg.html

Attachments

• IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 3,529
cool thing to know

the amp is quite killer but the sqealing is killing me.

what is that metal shield made of?

I wonder if I could just buy piece and glue it in?

i wonder if he could send me one?

thegame":25stpl8o said:
A metal shield in front of the impedance selector/speaker outputs, can eliminate most if not all issues with squealing. Its a known issue by Rick and he sometimes puts that shield on a new build and sometimes he'll retrofit one in by request.

IMG_0312.jpg.html

just to revisit this topic

the mtl is not noisy

i did a major revamp of the electrical in my music room

i did notice that when i had moved from my old house, that a lot of my high gain amps were a lot noisier and just didnt sound as good as when they were at my old house.

i just thought that it was due to changes in the room configuration, change from downstairs ground floor to upstairs.

had a lot of furman stuff.

even pf pro pretty pricey

did not make a whole hell lot of difference.

what did make a huge difference is switching to a bunch of tripp isolator with voltage regulation.

now all my amps are isolated and run quiet.

especially my wizards.

no more ground loops

even pedal boards run quieter

best investment i have made in a while.

now it doesnt matter what pre tubes i am running.

all are quiet.

bad power sucks

Back