Incoming Wizard MC 100

sjk

Banned
Don't know any specifics but does not look to be an early older model I don't think?
Got it off Guitar Center Used amps, did not even email asking about loop, year etc, just wanted to get it before it got snagged up instead of waiting to hear back from store lol. If I don't like it I can just send it back. Never owned a wizard. should be here early in the week, paid an extra $25 to go next day air. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In-Sto ... mp-Head.gc

War Admiral":26lq0z92 said:
Im very interested how the MC is different to the MCII other than the bells and whistles...

You and me both, the amp has arrived and is in perfect shape, no loop but has the lead bright knob on back and 1/2 power switch. 4 led lights on the front not sure what year? Will get a change to play it later and open it up to look for a year etc.

Congrats. I saw that listed. Thought about it all night and decided to take a chance. Snooze and lose. I'm glad it went to someone here so we can get your impressions on it. I want an MCii but they are so hard to find used. Good grab, I hope it works for you and is the tone you expect

Great amp for sure, not near as bright as what I sometimes read, those guys need to play some early 70's Superleads and JCM800's LOL! Master works very well and has a good slow taper compared to some of my amps that need more volume to come alive.
This one has the pull treble boost, pull lead master boost and pull rhythm boost but unlike the MCII the rhythm only has volume but no gain knob so it works like a non master and gets it's gain by cranking it. No loop and front and back look just like the one linked below except mine has two speaker outs and a rotary ohm selector. Also no led on front for loop but 4 leds on the last 4 knobs. Looks very new with the exception of one scraped up knob on front and a small scrape in black faceplate, small dent in headshell and one bent chassic screw. OT reads WRZD100C so I'm thinking C version. JJEL34L's, Plate voltage about 493 and lowered bias to 32. All JJ pretubes (4) also came with no foot switches.
http://vintageking.com/wizard-amplifica ... aQodzrMIqA

I'm not using any of the boost just the lead gain knob. Plenty for what I like to play although the boosts are pretty brutal lol. I really need a loop damit but had to try a wizard. Not really a whole lot far removed from the tones I'm getting from my PT100SE. Surprisingly close but the upper mids are slightly different, maybe the Hiwatt reference I hear about? Surpisingly the Suhr needs a little more volume to come alive but neither of these are bedroom amps for certain.

Alright this thing just keeps getting better lol! Stellar amps, even the 1/2 power switch on back gives a killer tone and really sounds a bit different...gives another killer wizard flavor. FIRST time out of many amps over the years where I actually liked a half power switch. Usually kind of sucks on most amps I've had compared to full power setting. I was not even gonna try it for that fact, glad I did. God I wish this thing had a loop though. Anyone try slaving out to a poweramp with some delay with the line out jack?

Congratulations my friend, you have a beautiful piece there!
They are a very rare find, as you know… Especially for that price,
Enjoy it! Be careful, don't go deaf,

halebox":b5g1oo7f said:
Have someone add a loop and mod the rhythm channel for another master and gain

I agree… Have a rhythm CH master installed in the back where the line out is maybe…? Also, Metro loops are great :thumbsup:

A little over 2 weeks in and I'm rocking this Wizard MCI more than most of my other amps. I've got some killer amps and It's hard to pick a favorite. Favs right now are the wizard, a Metropoulos 12,000 NMV Plexi, Metro-Friedman NMV Plexi, PT100SE and Metro 2203 w/metro loop. They are all in the same vein but have different volume requirements to come alive (Plexi's are run through an attenuator) Interestingly the Wizard comes alive at a little lower volumes than the rest, about 9 oclock or a tad more on the master.

Loving this thing and have it paired up with a Mojave 4x12 with 25 watt Scumback M75s and mostly old early 1980's Tokai LP's. No effects cause it has no loop lol.
Mostly lead channel with none of the boosts. To my ears sounds like a plexi mixed with a bit of Marshall 2203 and then a dose of Wizard voicing (whatever that is lol, maybe it's the Hiwatt reference?)
Just killer old school tones.

Updated, this thing is not going anywhere, my new favorite!
Would like to have a loop installed at some point but don't really want to be without the amp for now.

sjk":1no03z8z said:
Updated, this thing is not going anywhere, my new favorite!
Would like to have a loop installed at some point but don't really want to be without the amp for now.

I know what you mean, My Wiz MTL is my favorite amp too, bro. :thumbsup:
Wizards are very special amplifiers.

Back