NAD: 1996 Wizard Modern Classic

NewWorldMan

Ok, so it's not exactly a NEW amp day, as I've had the amp for probably 4 months or so, so maybe it's a "New Old Amp Day". Either way, it's the first time I've posted about it, so here we are!

I'd known about Wizards for quite some time, ever since I read interviews with Hetfield back in the mid-90's starting in the Reload era when he mentioned they used one blended for dirty tones, then used them again on Garage Inc. It wasn't until recent years I finally took interest and decided to give one a try. I didn't grab the first one I saw, as I was looking specifically for an old, original circuit/edition from the 90's, etc. Basically I was looking to get one that was as close to what is presumably heard on record. This one finally popped up a while back and it fit the bill - original '96, single input, small logo, low serial, and completely stripped down on options - I wanted nothing at all in the circuit - no loop, push/pulls, DI, etc. I wanted bare bones, minimal, straight up tone...and this was exactly it. Can't be many out there in this vein, as my buddy has an early ('97-ish I believe) Modern Classic in the 500-ish serial range and the circuit was already changed (high/low input and push/pull for lead boost added).

That all being said, it delivered exactly what I wanted - straight up, gained up, JMP-ish tones with a distinctly different voice and feel. It also cops exactly the tones I wanted it to cover - the open, gritty, punchy and jangly "Turn the Page"-ish sort of vibe, while still remaining tight, thick, and clear.

I know this old model with it's minimalist options would probably not work for some folks here, but it delivers exactly what I wanted in spades, and it looks classy to boot...

Congratulations NewWorldMan… That is one beautiful looking amplifier and I'm sure it sounds like a monster! All wizards do… I love the small logo too…

Yeah, I prefer the smaller logo as well. All manufacturers seem to make their logos bigger and bigger as time goes on - Marshall, Mesa, Wizard, etc. I guess they need a bigger billboard to see from the stage... :D

Congrats on the amp. I bet it sounds great!

I ordered my MTL with the larger logo. My OCD can't handle the small logo on the head and the larger logo on the cab. :LOL: :LOL:

mhenson42":3cneq03c said:
Congrats on the amp. I bet it sounds great!

I ordered my MTL with the larger logo. My OCD can't handle the small logo on the head and the larger logo on the cab. :LOL: :LOL:

Ahhhhhh, True… I never thought of that!

Back