Old plexi style break up on the Rhythm channel of the MC II?

DRC

I have an older MC 100 that just roars on the dirty channel. The rhythm channel is great for clean sounds but needs to be nearly dimed to get close to that break up I'm looking for. It ends up louder than the Lead Channel. I use a Bogner XTC in plexi mode for this and get a pretty punchy tone without being over saturated but I'd obviously like to get both with the same amp.

I'm wondering if the Rhythm Channel on the 50 watt MC II will get me where I need to be since it has a dedicated gain knob. I'm thinking "for those about to rock" era AC/DC tones on the Rhythm Channel and the thicker modded Marshall tones I'm already getting on the Lead Channel which probably sounds even better on the new amps I'm not really looking for fender cleans out of an amp like this.

The closest place to try this amp is a 7 hour drive to Nashville so any reviews of the Rhythm Channel on the MC II are appreciated.

Yup, my 100 watt MCII does exactly what you describe on the Rhythm channel.
With the Rhythm channel gain up and the pull-boost on, it can do AC/DC all day long. Boost off, it's pretty clean. ( I never turn the boost off :D )
Each channel has it's own bright control as well, which is nice. Helps to balance the EQ with the Lead channel.
I don't imagine the 50 watt version would be much different.
My MCII is a 2016.
I own/have owned some nice amps. The MCII is #1 - Best amp ever :rock:

I don't have the MC II but I know that the guys from ACDC only used the MC I as it was the only modern classic available at that time. They also used the vintage classics with the ARD logo. Angus used the MC I in the overdrive channel and you can hear a demo of that on the website by scott ian. The overdrive channel on the MC II is the same circuit as the MC I per Rick; contour knob notwithstanding. Maybe try an overdrive pedal in the clean channel for a crunch tone? just a suggestion rather than buying a completely new amp? my 2 cents

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to part wth my MC100 and live without it for a while. I'll hit Nashville next year and see if the MCII gets it's hooks in me the way this one did.

Back