Diatonic scales/modes... the "Key to the Kingdom"...

Red_Label

At the suggestion of another Rig-Talker, I'm reposting this here in case anyone might benefit from it. Feel free to ask questions or point-out issues if you see them. I've been playing for 28+ years... but I certainly still learn something new from time to time.

Many years ago I whipped up this sheet for my students (when I used to teach that is) and implored them to memorize this "modal master pattern". It works for everything short of whole tone, diminished, harmonic minor, etc "exotic" scales.

As you can see, I broke the full pattern down into 3-note diatonic scale boxes to make it easy to digest one at a time. But once you've got them all well memorized, you can see the entire fretboard as one pattern (like it would look if you were playing one of those fret light guitars) and that really frees you up in your ability to improvise over any mode, in any key. All you have to do to adjust for key changes is to slide the entire pattern up or down the fretboard. So for instance, if you want to play in A major/Ionian instead of G... just move this entire pattern up (right) two frets. You can also see the relative modes -- so G major/Ionian is the SAME notes as E minor/Aeolian... etc. It may look like a lot to digest just looking at it, but it really is the "key to the kingdom" when wanting to no longer feel lost always knowing the right notes to play when shredding. You can also take the pattern of course and identify root notes for each mode and such in order to phrase better.

As you can see... there's NO need to complicate learning scales/modes individually. At least in terms of memorizing EVERY mode in EVERY key. That's a waste of brainspace. You just have to know your patterns and can slide them up and down the neck to change keys and modes. The most important thing here is to know your root notes (for instance... the C mixolydian mode is obviously going to start on a C in the pattern and end on a C -- when played simply as a scale by itself).

ModalMasterPattern.jpg

You're welcome guys.

To clarify what I said when I said "there's NO need to complicate learning scales/modes individually"... my point is that a scale or mode is nothing but a sequence of whole and half steps (2 frets or 1 fret respectively).

So as you can see... the major/ionian scale is W - W - H - W - W - W - H (W=whole, H=half). So if you'd rather think of that instead of this pattern... ALL you have to remember is that starting on the root note of the key you want it to be played in, just play that pattern of steps. To change the key, that means that just sliding that sequence up or down the neck until you start on the root note generates the scale. So I G major scale is NO different than an A major scale... just starts two frets lower on the low E.

The sequences of steps for all of the other modes can be determined also by looking at this master pattern. But honestly... when I'm phrasing I'm NOT thinking "W W H...". I'm just playing the patterns. It doesn't mean that this pattern is EVERYTHING there is to know about theory. But for a lead player... I honestly don't know of ANY more useful tool than it has been.

Another thing you may notice is that the modes each start on different degrees of the scale. So let's relate everything to the Major/Ionian mode.

As we've already discussed, this scale is the sequence W - W - H - |W| - W - W - H. That's based off of the 1st (or root) of itself.

So look at the next set of steps in the sequence. That's the Dorian mode (based on the 2nd of the major scale). Just shift your steps one to the right (or your patterns to the next one to the right). So it's W - H - W - |W| - W - H - W.

And the next is the Phrygian mode (based on the 3rd)... H - W - W |W| H - W - W.

And the next is the Lydian mode (based on the 4th)... |W| W - W - H / W - W - H

And the next is the Mixolydian mode... based on the 5th (perhaps my favorite -- think Vai and Satch)... W - W - H / W - W - H |W|

And the next is the Aeolian/minor mode (based on the 6th)... |W| H - W - W / H - W - W

And the last is the Locrian mode (based on the 7th -- pretty much never used)... H - W - W / H - W - W |W|

Notice how I isolated a pair of sequences in each series with a /? That identical pair of sequences is called the "tetra chord" of each series. Notice how each tetra chord is THE SAME. (W - W - H in the case of the major scale). So each mode has a sequence of certain intervals that can be separated into identical tetra chords separated by a whole step |W|.

Just some theory tidbits to show you how it all fits together. But the most important thing is to know that entire master pattern. This other stuff is mostly academic and I RARELY ever think about it when I pick up a guitar.

Great thread. I've been doing diatonics and pentatonic scales alongside my truefire lessons and they are great for finger and picking speed or just as a warmup.

Thanks for posting!

RSRD":vao83asi said:
Great thread. I've been doing diatonics and pentatonic scales alongside my truefire lessons and they are great for finger and picking speed or just as a warmup.

Thanks for posting!

Yup... that's what I used to use them for and a very good way to memorize them and get them "into your fingers". But once players have that entire pattern in their fingers they'll start to notice how the licks they've learned of their favorite players fit into them -- and the next step is being able to take those licks, alter them, and make them their own in any key and mode.

These are the shapes/patterns I originally learned and it was invaluable to know and learn them. Once you have these diatonic patterns and know all of the notes on the fretboard, you can move them around, add/subtract notes and you're light years ahead. Learn the 5 pentatonic shapes as well and thats all you really need! These are the basics for becoming a great guitar player for sure!

Diatonic, Pentatonic, and Arpeggios is basically how I play. The one thing that BLEW MY MIND when first learning all of this was the "Relative Major/Minor". example: Key of (Em) has the exact same notes as the key of (G). :thumbsup:

SLOgriff":3nswjgen said:
These are the shapes/patterns I originally learned and it was invaluable to know and learn them. Once you have these diatonic patterns and know all of the notes on the fretboard, you can move them around, add/subtract notes and you're light years ahead. Learn the 5 pentatonic shapes as well and thats all you really need! These are the basics for becoming a great guitar player for sure!

Diatonic, Pentatonic, and Arpeggios is basically how I play. The one thing that BLEW MY MIND when first learning all of this was the "Relative Major/Minor". example: Key of (Em) has the exact same notes as the key of (G). :thumbsup:

Yup! And yeah, the relative major/minor realization was a biggie for me as well! :thumbsup:

This is similar to, but not exactly the same way I memorized the shapes. I used the 3NPS method from Frank Gambale's book, "Modes a Mystery No More" or something like that. For some reason it was just something that worked for me.

I could be wrong but it appears that instead of Ionian, u started with aeolian? I understand where Ionian begins, but according to the chart, ur beginning on its natural minor. THat might confuse some thinking the open position is G major. At least that's how I see it and learned it. Or in short, the graph begins in E minor. I would begin on the third position and explain the open position is a repeat of the 12th position. Maybe I'm weird.

Back