Recording your practice

tubortski

While reviewing some demo songs and riffs I've recorded, I wondered what it would be like to review ALL of my playing. Whether it's focused practice, noodling, riffing out, whatever.. I think this could be a useful thing to becoming a better player while accumulating a catalog of riffs.

The most logical way I guess would be an iphone and storing files on your computer.

Anyone else do this sort of thing?

I generally only film riffs that I have pretty well fleshed out but don't have down good enough to record. But you could give it a shot and see if it helps!

tubortski":15zdj8jw said:
While reviewing some demo songs and riffs I've recorded, I wondered what it would be like to review ALL of my playing. Whether it's focused practice, noodling, riffing out, whatever.. I think this could be a useful thing to becoming a better player while accumulating a catalog of riffs.

The most logical way I guess would be an iphone and storing files on your computer.

Anyone else do this sort of thing?

I do this every chance I get.

You never know when you are going to come up with that awesome riff and perhaps forget about it forever.

Iphone is good for recording anywhere anytime. You get in idea on the pooper and no guitar to play? Sing it into your iphone recorder (you may look like a fool in public doing this (not pooping in public but humming into your iphone), but who gives a shit that is your golden riff).

Your jamming out a bunch off your head and maybe come up with something great in the midddle, iphone would come in handy again.

If possible I try to record ALL of my playing. The biggest downfall for me is going back through and picking out that one awesome part from a very long playing session of garbage. That is why I recommend using a DAW to record vs the iphone. I still use both depending on where I am and my recording availability.

My answer is I do it and am glad I do, alot of it may be useless but you never know.

Alot of bands do this, and Ive read interviews from guitarists who wrote a 10 million cd sale hit song by recording just some riffing nonsense.

I seldom do this. but my guitar teacher says this is a good way to find out what I'm weak in my play

Exactly!

I forgot that I posted this.. :yes:

Funny, as I'm reading this, I'm watching The Edge playback parts on his Tascam Porta-something in It Might Get Loud. I had one of those cassette dealies, too.

I have found recording rehearsals to be an invaluable songwriting tool. My writing\recording projects and bands always record practices to see just how tight we are! We would always say, your only as good as your last practice! May as well be able to actually hear it!

When writing, we ALWAY record improvisation sessions. My guys have an awesome chemistry and can improvise so well, people think we've played tunes a 100 X before when it's being made up as we go. Recording the sessions allows us to go back and find the threads and pieces we like and then we shape into songs. Vocals come in last and forms the final arrangements.

If I get into a good lick or rhythm while playing or practicing, the first thing I do is whip out my cell and make a video so I don't forget it. Hope this helps.

Back