Still confused about models / scales over chord progression

ThrowBackMan

Hey guys.
Sorry for the long post, but I'm not the best writer here. :)

I am a little confused. I understand how scales work in that you use them for feel. I guess I don't totally understand the rules.

So, If I'm using a progression of chords, say my first chord is an arpeggiated chord of an A minor and I also use the A string open, (Notes: Open A string, then E, A, C on the D string, G string and B string respectively, then I go to the E minor with the notes E open, then the B on the A string, and then E on the D string, and the with the added open G string, and this chord of course is also arpeggiated up and down so many measures and then return to the A minor chord and I do this over and over in say a 4/4 timing. Now, I want to play lead. So, I know I know I have the following notes in my Rhythm.

First Chord: A minor with the open A so the notes are: A, E, C,
Second Chord: E minor with the open G string and the notes are E, B, A, and G
So, when the playing of the A chord is being played, I can play any note in the A minor scale and use any mode as long as it uses the correct notes that are contained in the A minor scale? I'm just starting at a starting point and using different intervals? Same on the E Chord correct? Correct or incorrect? I hope I'm correct, because I will really shudder to think I've got this wrong! LOL. Please explain if I've got it all wrong.

Thanks so much. You folks rock!
Regards
Tim

you got it...the rest of the notes in whatever scale you choose are for color only....in between the chord tones of whatever chord is being played. You decide on how you want it to sound like :yes:

Thank you so much. So, one more thing. If I'm playing with the A Minor scale, I can also use the C Major scale too because it's the same notes right? Or related? Is this the same as the circle of 5ths or is that something else entirely? What's that all about and why is it important if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks so much.
Tim

It's just "relative" major and minor scales. The notes are identical. Depending on whether you put the emphasis on the C or the A tonally would dictate the feel of it. Emphasizing the relative major scale over the minor chord will definitely lend itself a more exotic feel rather than the typical more blues/Aeolian feel of the minor.

That's the beauty of it. There are "rules" but they can be severely bent and even broken with the right applied feel. As always beauty is in the eye, and the ear, of the beholder. Just when you think you might have a handle on it try alternate tunings (and I don't mean drop D) and warp your little mind. :LOL: :LOL:

skoora":1vsvmmox said:
That's the beauty of it. There are "rules" but they can be severely bent and even broken with the right applied feel. As always beauty is in the eye, and the ear, of the beholder.:

and bending the rules means you could play out side of the scale making sure you land where the chords are so you don't sound "out".

To add to something someone else mentioned earlier, I'd strongly recommend becoming familiar with what A minor sounds like with all the different notes of the C major scale under it- this will teach your ear the sound of the modes. For example, try playing an A minor over an F major bar chord with the B and E strings open. You may be pleasantly surprised.

guitarplayerone":2kua52lb said:
To add to something someone else mentioned earlier, I'd strongly recommend becoming familiar with what A minor sounds like with all the different notes of the C major scale under it- this will teach your ear the sound of the modes. For example, try playing an A minor over an F major bar chord with the B and E strings open. You may be pleasantly surprised.
marked for later!

Back