Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Apr 26, 2018 4:13pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 05, 2018 4:36am 
Hack

Are you human?: 951
Growing up I thought this is exactly what I wanted to do for life. I've realized now that I just don't have a passion for it. Admitting it was the big problem to face, but now that's done and over with. I realize I don't really care for music actually, and I especially hate the music world. I went out with soms guys in Nashville to various parts of town and heard live music, did the bar thing, etc... Hated every second of it. I genuinely hate live music, and I hate nightlife and partying. I tried to convince myself I liked it and went along with it for a while, but eventually checked out. Personally can't see why anyone else likes it either. But then again I'm just a strange weirdo and loser who doesn't like people. I've only really played in my room all my life with the hope that someday I'd go out and make my dream come true by playing out and having a career. Now I've seen that world, it's not what I thought it was, and I've just completely lost all desire and passion for music. Just like that. I'm done. Started putting stuff up for sale. That's it.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 05, 2018 8:28am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Damn, that sucks. At some point I realized I get nothing from performing live. Even if the crowd is great and responsive and loving it...I get no satisfaction from it. But I've never lost my love for music or my love for playing. Just in front of people.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 05, 2018 1:53pm 
Hack

SpiderWars wrote:
Damn, that sucks. At some point I realized I get nothing from performing live. Even if the crowd is great and responsive and loving it...I get no satisfaction from it. But I've never lost my love for music or my love for playing. Just in front of people.

Yeah, I've known I was different from everyone else for a long time but I've been denying it for so long and trying to convince myself I'm not. Everyone seems to not get enough of the party, nightlife, live music, downtown, bar scene thing, especially in Nashville. Everyone else seems to not be able to get there quick enough. I can't get away from it quick enough. I gave it it's fair try. Couldn't imagine buring in Hell being worse than that. It cured me of any desire to play music anymore. I'm just a private loner and hermit who likes peace, quiet, and solitude. Wish it weren't so. I'd love to be like everyone else, but I just can't do it.

But more to your point, yes, I still love music in the sense of listening to it. Just not live (unless it's a famous band playing an arena show).

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 05, 2018 2:03pm 
Rock God

I would keep a guitar around anyway.

Personally, I do not like the party scene anymore. I do not even drink much at all and never go out. When I do it is usually a movie with the fam or to play a show. Just like you I am weird and simply do not like people.

I may be the opposite regarding music because for me the one thing I still like is the energy from playing live. I still don't care to party or try to live a rockstar life. I am not 19 anymore and I would not want to be completely broke.

I had a period of a few years where I did not play much. There was 1 year where I did not touch a guitar for more than a few times for a few minutes. I kind of hated it tbh. When I was a kid that is all that I would do. Play all day and all night for years but as I got older it did not seem as important.

Had a writing block and all of that but idk, one day I woke up and it all went away. I enjoyed playing again and writing. Started getting some new gear which made it even more exciting. That could just as easily not have happened but it did so i guess you never know.

I think being around the right people can help as well. Get together with a few other musicians, if you can find any that are great they may inspire you. Everyone gets their inspiration from somewhere and over the years that form of inspiration can certainly change or go away.

Good deals with Racerxrated, psychodave, Shiny_Surface, FixXxer, Headlessdeadguy, 232cap, Gsxrbusa, Crunchtime, Nateispro, Just24Dave, Captainstinko, magh8, KingGuitar, etohk, apophis, D-Ray, Peckhart, Creep66, Oblivion DC.

"Your cab on the floor becomes one with the earth, thus more resonant."

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission"

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 05, 2018 3:11pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

maddnotez wrote:
I would keep a guitar around anyway.

And maybe learn a completely different genre...perhaps acoustic. Maybe learn some Phil Keaggy type stuff...music that stands alone just as acoustic guitar pieces. Years ago I discovered Django Reinhardt and it completely reinvigorated my desire to play.

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 15, 2018 7:39pm 
Hack

Nashville will do that to a guy. Its a trial by fire for sure.

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 16, 2018 7:45am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Until a few years ago, I tackled the electric guitar in much the same way as I did the classical guitar in terms of focusing on technique etc & but never really feeling happy with my progress.
The classical syllabus was much smaller however & with less technical milestones. You feel yourself improving quicker as a result & you measure your development virtually by playing music written by other composers. The electric guitar is more of a creative medium & has such an overwhelming repertoire of music & technique that you'd struggle to put a dent in it in your lifetime unless you were obsessively committed to it.
I've definitely been happier these last few years not committing my playing time to practicing exercises for the sake of technical improvement & just playing within my own abilities & caring more about the sounds i'm creating. It seems to be a more rewarding & organic experience doing it that way & i'd say my overall musicianship has improved, while my technique has gotten better without me being consciously aware of it.
There are some techniques i'm much better at than others & find I've become a better player & musician by using the techniques that come intuitively to me rather than trying to improve alternative techniques that I find more difficult & will rarely use.
I think there are ways of kindling more enjoyment out of the guitar & I think you improve at things quicker, the more you enjoy it.

Manuel Contreras Concert Classical
Paulino Bernabe Snr Concert Classical

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 16, 2018 7:29pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Sucks man, plenty of great hobbies in the world and I'm sure with enough searching you can find something to be passionate about.
I'm a pretty big weirdo too, and I felt like I lost passion for music when my first band broke apart due to everyone growing up and getting jobs. I sat on my ass for a few years hardly playing guitar and moping about not wanting too, after taking some time and finding new interests I came back full circle and love it even more than before. For me, the other interests were boxing, judo, woodworking and drumming, but the possibilities are endless

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 16, 2018 7:31pm 

been there a few times bro. just find something else..it really is that simple...

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 26, 2018 1:18pm 
Plank Cranker

Been there several times. Sold all my gear and walked away from music twice... but it's in me and i can't help it. Though I may be downsizing soon as well.
I really do not miss playing live, lugging gear, hustling to do promotion... but always enjoyed being on stage. I've tended to become more of a loner with age, as well as preferring solitude to large crowds (just too many rude aholes out there).

Being a stage manager of a festival for a few years, and dealing with behind the scenes stuff has admittedly somewhat soured me on the industry as a whole (though I have met and worked with MANY excellent people some whom have become good friends).

Keep a guitar or 2.. the urge may come back. Good luck!