Engl Steve Morse Signature doing plexi

fretmaster

IMHO, this is the best amp Engl has ever made and it one of the most under rated amplifiers out there for tone, versatility and build quality. The signal chain is a Knaggs Kenai w/ Seymour Duncan 59's straight into the head. There is a Vox Time Machine delay and Holy Grail reverb in the loop. The cabinet is a 16 ohm, Bogner over-sized, closed back, 2x12 loaded with British, Celestion Vintage 30's. The camera was simply my Samsung Note 4 cell phone propped up on my morning coffee cup. Not the most high tech rig, but good enough to give some idea - I hope. Thanks for listening. BTW...all clams and wanking so please don't hate on me. :doh: :rock:

sinnersmoon":3vh521tc said:
Wow! Really nice sound. I'm very tempted by the Morse. Pity there are so few of them around.

Truly one of the most underrated amps of all time IMHO. I stumbled onto this one a few years back and was immediately surprised by it, but when you take the time to work through the mid-matrix and all the various tone shaping capabilities of this amp then you really begin to realize how freaking awesome it is.

fretmaster":2xut7f5n said:
Truly one of the most underrated amps of all time IMHO. I stumbled onto this one a few years back and was immediately surprised by it, but when you take the time to work through the mid-matrix and all the various tone shaping capabilities of this amp then you really begin to realize how freaking awesome it is.

The mid matrix is indeed the most intriguing part.
Have you ever had a chance to A/B it with the Invader?

sinnersmoon":i6jt58kk said:
fretmaster":i6jt58kk said:

Owned an Invader I and II. They are both gone, the SM sig is still here. ;-)

The mid matrix is indeed the most intriguing part.
Have you ever had a chance to A/B it with the Invader?

The voicing of the SM Sig. is different than that of the Invader. In a way that is more appealing to those of us more into the classic hot rodded Marshall tones. I liked the Invaders, just like the Morse a lot more for my taste.

Untouchable amp. Super versatility live no compromises.Great clean,everything it does it does well. Agree on the most Marshally ENGL but WAY more refined in a good way.

Just completely retubed the Engl Morse. First time since it was new, so the tubes were the several year old factory Engl labeled tubes. All new JJ 12AX7's in the front end with a balanced triode in the phase inverter position and 4 new, perfectly matched Svetlana Winged C EL34's in the back end. My God did it really take that already amazing amp to an entirely new level. Dialed the gain knob back to half and still have as much gain as it had on full with the old factory tubes. Chunkier, barkier, more responsive and just plain awesome sounding and feeling more than ever before. I'm once again reminded how extraordinary this amp truly is. Even with multiple Friedman and Cameron amps setting in the same room the Engl blows my mind every time I plug in. It truly is one of my all time favorites.

Aside from the E530 Rack Preamp this is the only ENGL I own. I’d always thought all ENGL sounded alike until this amp. Among the best in my stable. The mid control matrix is unrivaled for tone shaping.

Anyone else use it like I do? CH3 for different rhythm sounds and CH2 for leads?

racerevlon":2s7ydnla said:
Aside from the E530 Rack Preamp this is the only ENGL I own. I’d always thought all ENGL sounded alike until this amp. Among the best in my stable. The mid control matrix is unrivaled for tone shaping.

Anyone else use it like I do? CH3 for different rhythm sounds and CH2 for leads?

+1000 on the mid-matrix. Absolutely genius. Should be on every amp made. I have a plethora of different settings I use and have been able to find killer, very useful tones on every channel. :rock:

BTW... how many amps out there have owners still raving about them 10 years later like they're still on their honey moon. Very few I see make it 10 months these day. The Engl Morse withstands every test, including the test of time. ;-)

fretmaster":1j6u6r7g said:
BTW... how many amps out there have owners still raving about them 10 years later like they're still on their honey moon. Very few I see make it 10 months these day. The Engl Morse withstands every test, including the test of time. ;-)

Sorry for the necro, just checking if you still check your email as I can't post in marketplace. Hopefully this gives you a notification, I'm interested in your current cameron listing

Hana Song":1ez3mi15 said:
fretmaster":1ez3mi15 said:

Sorry for the necro, just checking if you still check your email as I can't post in marketplace. Hopefully this gives you a notification, I'm interested in your current cameron listing

Sorry, just saw this and replied with PM. You can email me directly at: fretmaster@atlanticbb.net if you like. Thx

Thanks man. This amp is so interesting, and yet there are not enough good clips of it. Someday I'll find one in the wild to check out.

Back