Marty Friedman Inferno Amp?

Yes, I just got one yesterday. It sounds similar to how I remember the extreme aggression and fireball 100 sounding but better. It's better then those amps for playing leads and tighter and more defined than the fireball 100

braintheory":2dw1khx5 said:
Yes, I just got one yesterday. It sounds similar to how I remember the extreme aggression and fireball 100 sounding but better. It's better then those amps for playing leads and tighter and more defined than the fireball 100

Tighter and more defined than the FB100? That sounds promising!

Where do the mid frequencies lie?

MetalHeadMike":1ifykdr8 said:
braintheory":1ifykdr8 said:

I'd say it's more in the lower mids, which is why it reminds me of the fireball and extreme aggression, whereas the artist edition is more about the upper mids.

Honestly, I never considered the FB100 that tight. Pretty much all the other Engl's are tighter to my ears. The invader 150 is definitely the tightest. I'd say the Marty Friedman is one of the looser Engls and like the FB100, it has a softer attack than I like, but it's still plenty capable of doing almost any style of extreme metal and it's I think the best of all Engls for playing leads, which Marty Friedman said he was very picky about in the manual.

For my taste, the SE EL34 is still my favorite Engl, but this might be my 2nd favorite

braintheory":1vl3ged0 said:
MetalHeadMike":1vl3ged0 said:
braintheory":1vl3ged0 said:

I'd say it's more in the lower mids, which is why it reminds me of the fireball and extreme aggression, whereas the artist edition is more about the upper mids.

Honestly, I never considered the FB100 that tight. Pretty much all the other Engl's are tighter to my ears. The invader 150 is definitely the tightest. I'd say the Marty Friedman is one of the looser Engls and like the FB100, it has a softer attack than I like, but it's still plenty capable of doing almost any style of extreme metal and it's I think the best of all Engls for playing leads, which Marty Friedman said he was very picky about in the manual.

For my taste, the SE EL34 is still my favorite Engl, but this might be my 2nd favorite

Gotchya :thumbsup: I'd agree with you in saying that the FB100 is definitely not the tightest of the line. To be fair though, that amp needs volume to tighten up. Once cranked it tightens up considerably. The Savage 120 is WAY WAY tighter regardless of volume (In fact, it is the tightest amp I've played to date).

Never played an Invader but would love to play an Invader 100 at some point. Played the Ironball, AE, and owned a FB100 & Blackmore and the Savage is infinitely tighter than all of those.

MetalHeadMike":3hgq63fo said:
braintheory":3hgq63fo said:
MetalHeadMike":3hgq63fo said:
braintheory":3hgq63fo said:

Gotchya :thumbsup: I'd agree with you in saying that the FB100 is definitely not the tightest of the line. To be fair though, that amp needs volume to tighten up. Once cranked it tightens up considerably. The Savage 120 is WAY WAY tighter regardless of volume (In fact, it is the tightest amp I've played to date).

Never played an Invader but would love to play an Invader 100 at some point. Played the Ironball, AE, and owned a FB100 & Blackmore and the Savage is infinitely tighter than all of those.
Yes, I'd agree the savage is tighter than all those and may even be the 2nd tightest Engl behind the Invader (although I remember the SE also being pretty tight). Until I got my Cameron CCV, I considered the Invader 150 to be the tightest amp ever for a while. There are actually a bunch of amps I've tried outside of Engls that I'd say are tighter than the Savage, but less tight than the Invader, but don't get me wrong the Savage is a very tight amp

I know what you mean about the Fireball needing volume. I feel this Friedman sig head is also like that

sinnersmoon":1zkhv9rz said:
I owned an Invader 100 and still own a Savage SE. The Savage SE was definitely tighter than the Invader.

Right on :thumbsup: When I think Invader 100, I think Kreator Hordes of Chaos tones :rock: Not 100% sure that's what they used, but that's what I've read.

Yeah, the Savage 120 is stupid tight.

Talking strictly plugged straight in the front, its tighter than every amp I've owned/played:

FB100
Blackmore
Herbert
Peavey Triple XXXII
VHT D60
KSR ARES
5153 50 watt
5153 100 watt

6505+
JVM210H
JVM 410H
Egnator Armegedon
Numerous Orange amps
Engl Artist edition
Engl Ironball

I wonder how the Savage SE compares to the regular savage or an SE? I heard it's different than both of those

Channel 3 on high gain mode and gain around 9-10 o clock of the invader 150 I used to own was super tight, so I'd be surprised if the Savage SE can actually exceed that

The only amps I've had that can get tighter than the invader 150 would be my ccv and I had a gower kk++ that could also get a little tighter than the invader if dialed in to be

braintheory":wujoisto said:
I wonder how the Savage SE compares to the regular savage or an SE? I heard it's different than both of those

Channel 3 on high gain mode and gain around 9-10 o clock of the invader 150 I used to own was super tight, so I'd be surprised if the Savage SE can actually exceed that

The only amps I've had that can get tighter than the invader 150 would be my ccv and I had a gower kk++ that could also get a little tighter than the invader if dialed in to be

Never played the Savage SE, but I know they changed the OT around 2011 on the Savage 120, and I never played the 120 prior to that change, but this amp has the upgraded OT and it is just ridiculously tight. Ch2 mode 4 is ultra tight and fast in response.

MetalHeadMike":3cvoxsk2 said:
braintheory":3cvoxsk2 said:

Never played the Savage SE, but I know they changed the OT around 2011 on the Savage 120, and I never played the 120 prior to that change, but this amp has the upgraded OT and it is just ridiculously tight. Ch2 mode 4 is ultra tight and fast in response.
Yes, I remember the later Savages sounding better. I heard it was in 2012 when the transformers changed but I'm not 100% sure

braintheory":2zs43ppy said:

It doesn't. The Savage SE is my least favorite of the three. The SE and the Savage 120 are my #1 & #2 favorite Engls. I've owned several of each. Sometime in 2012 the Savage 120 OT was changed to a much larger unit. Pure tight tone... Savage 120...but... if you like more gain, more bass, more modern... SE EL34/6L6GC.

Not a fan of the Invader or Invader II either. I'd take a Powerball II over it.

Wizard of Ozz":3fqqo881 said:
braintheory":3fqqo881 said:

It doesn't. The Savage SE is my least favorite of the three. The SE and the Savage 120 are my #1 & #2 favorite Engls. I've owned several of each. Sometime in 2012 the Savage 120 OT was changed to a much larger unit. Pure tight tone... Savage 120...but... if you like more gain, more bass, more modern... SE EL34/6L6GC.

Yeah I remember others also saying they like the savage and SE better than the savage SE. I'm just surprised to hear the savage SE described as being tighter than other Engls. The SE is also my favorite one (but this Marty Friedman is growing on me and at least a close 2nd) and like you said way more bass than the savage, but in a good way. I remember the savage having really good upper mid growl though

Wizard of Ozz":2coy5aku said:
braintheory":2coy5aku said:

I owned an Invader 100, E570 SE preamp and played ENGL SE (EL34) next to my Invader. I still liked Savage SE the most.
I played a Savage 120 but that was more than 5 years ago. I remember I liked the sound but could not fairly compare it to my current knowledge. I'd love to play them side by side.

Back