KT-88 VS 6550 Tubes in my ENGL SAVAGE 120 question.

Fret-Shredder

I purchased my Savage 120 (model year 2010) with KT-88 power tubes already in the amp so I have no idea what tone difference I would experience compared to 6550 tubes. If anyone has made the switch from 6550 to KT-88 power tubes in their Savage 120 I would like to hear your thoughts on if they felt it made the amp sound better. Better low end , tighter distortion??? Thanks in advance for your input.

Fret-Shredder":3hc0n8uv said:
I purchased my Savage 120 (model year 2010) with KT-88 power tubes already in the amp so I have no idea what tone difference I would experience compared to 6550 tubes. If anyone has made the switch from 6550 to KT-88 power tubes in their Savage 120 I would like to hear your thoughts on if they felt it made the amp sound better. Better low end , tighter distortion??? Thanks in advance for your input.

KT88s will give you the tighter low-end between the 2. 6550s breakup a little sooner, thicker, fuller sounding, and sound more pleasing and crunchy when they do. KT88s are really clean sounding tubes, and don't add much to the sound... which is why a lot of the highend home audio tube amps use them. They are good tubes, but have a unique sound that sometimes works, or doesn't. Some people describe the KT88 sound as glassy... very transparent, and sterile. You really need to crank the volume to hear the difference... if using the amp at home or to record, don't bother... unless you need to replace the 2 power tubes.

Wizard of Ozz":1f1vs6vh said:
Fret-Shredder":1f1vs6vh said:

KT88s will give you the tighter low-end between the 2. 6550s breakup a little sooner, thicker, fuller sounding, and sound more pleasing and crunchy when they do. KT88s are really clean sounding tubes, and don't add much to the sound... which is why a lot of the highend home audio tube amps use them. They are good tubes, but have a unique sound that sometimes works, or doesn't. Some people describe the KT88 sound as glassy... very transparent, and sterile. You really need to crank the volume to hear the difference... if using the amp at home or to record, don't bother... unless you need to replace the 2 power tubes.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

Back